• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Woodtroll

Reaction score
Any of you gents have any IRL pics of the Stockmans (Stockmen?)?

I have a pair that are 6-8 months old that I like very well. I'll try to get some outdoor photos of them in the next day or two if someone doesn't beat me to it. Anything particular you are interested in seeing?

LeviMay

Reaction score
Just wanting to see any angles other than what’s on the website, and see how cowboy- or packer-like they are. Nothing specific. Thanks!

Woodtroll

Reaction score
Just wanting to see any angles other than what’s on the website, and see how cowboy- or packer-like they are. Nothing specific. Thanks!

Sure thing. One of my biggest gripes about White's current website is that they don't give you a good top-down shot of the toe shape. These boots are built on the 55 last and have pretty round toes, although the profile from the ball of the foot forward is generally "pointed" or tapered to some extent.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
Nice looking boots. By chance can you share any photos of how they looked pre-rebuild?

Here’s an album with their dirty, usual work state & how they shine up. Took these pics a few months before I sent them off. They didn't need to be rebuilt, but I have been looking forward to retiring these from my work rotation for a while and removing the steel toe box. White's Brown Work Leather is really nice stuff - highly recommend. Looks great in Rough Out but as you can see, the Smooth side shines up remarkably well even after beating the hell out of it.

@hoppy_IPADistressed ... how much elasticity you think it has.

White’s work leathers are thick & don’t stretch much in my experience. Distressed being no exception. What laces are you using? Have you tried wearing them for a while laced a bit looser than you’d prefer? I find that can help with break in. The rawhide laces don't stretch as much the stock nylon laces. Rawhide also has a break-in period of its own & can be difficult to lace up properly. Rawhide laces tend to hold fast on the hooks/eyelets & are less prone to slide around like nylon. Those thin work laces the boots ship with slip into the hooks easily & are forgiving for balancing the overall tension. In my experience, starting your day out with lower tension on the laces really helps. If you start off too tight, your feet start hurting, swelling up & just plain ol' getting irritated. It's really difficult to get your dogs to stop barking at this point, no matter how loose you re-lace them. Maybe try the stock yellow/brown nylon laces & start your day off loose; slightly retention them later in the day/after the leather warms up.

discomute

Reaction score
So yesterday I spent some time ok Google Earth looking for a patch of land I could take the kid through for a walk (Australian are allowed out for exercise) and where I would not see anyone. It was mission accomplished, although the river I thought we were looking for was a swampy gully. My three year old thought this was the best thing ever and proceeded to jump in every "muddy puddle" she could find. It was a good first real test for the new boots and they held up very well, great ankle support and keeping my feet dry.

20200403_103733.jpg

(PS. Looks like I'm getting half of my job back too thanks to government intervention so pretty happy ATM)

J.LEE

Reaction score
Long-time admirer... first pair of White’s. My father wore Smokejumpers for years as a wildland firefighter in Southern California (and all over the world). He swore by them and still does, years into retirement. Since my line of work doesn’t call for such drastic boots, a pair of MP boots seemed like a decent first option.

It is hard to overstate how amazing these look, feel, and smell in person. They seem superior to my Nicks Robert boot in several ways, and blow my AE Higgins Mills out of the water! Bone stock MP-M1TC in Cinnamon Waxed. (Looks more red in person)
View attachment 1364613 View attachment 1364614

Guessing on my sizing I fear I may have missed the mark. I measure around 11D on the Brannock and opted for a size 10D in the MP/Barrie last hoping for a snug but comfortable fit. The fit is awesome everywhere except the toes where it feels quite cramped with zero room for toe splay. The length seems fine and the heel fit is excellent, but I want to make sure these are 100% right for the investment made. I have gotten in touch with White’s but would be open to getting some second opinions.

Here are overhead shots of where the ball of the foot lands. Left foot is slightly shorter. The Barrie actually feels narrower here than I remember on some Alden Indy’s I have tried, and it seems my mid-foot is overhanging the insole by a little bit which leads me to think I may need a wider width.

Based on the feel, I am not sure if a 10EE wouldn’t be better, or perhaps 10D. Or maybe I just need to grin and bear it, hoping the toes will loosen up! Feedback welcome.
From my experience, the wax flesh leather has a tendency to stretch and conform to the foot very well with wear. If they are a bit tight but bearable, I'd say they will stretch and become very comfortable. However, if they are very tight and you can actually feel the welt under your foot, definitely get them exchanged.

andy b.

Reaction score
Received the most perfectly crafted pair of bounty hunters in the mail this morning. My favorite pair so far. Black WF with burgundy CXL tongue.

Thanks to Kyle and Eric for getting them out despite the world falling apart.

View attachment 1365435
Did you request that tongue color? It goes perfectly with the rest of the boot. If you didn't request it, some bookmaker at Whites has a good eye for accents.

wordfool

Reaction score
Received the most perfectly crafted pair of bounty hunters in the mail this morning. My favorite pair so far. Black WF with burgundy CXL tongue.

Thanks to Kyle and Eric for getting them out despite the world falling apart.

How did you get WF as an option for BHs? Was it a special request, or did Bakers once list it as an option?

wordfool

Reaction score
WF is/was(?) a standard choice through Bakers

Not any more, at least for Bounty Hunters where I see no WF options at all. There are some WF options for the MP, but currently not black. I assume it's only a periodic option.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads