• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me it was Nati Light, or Nati Ice for special occasions.

Ah Natty Light. A rack was under $11 allowing us to do 30 races all the time.

We also were big drinkers, so we usually took that $11 and purchased a half gallon of HRD (Oregon's finest vodka). We even had a dedicated Brita to run it through. Monarch was for the times we were feeling classy. I will never forget the first time I played quarters with Vodka instead of beer. I miss being a kid.

chicken1616

Reaction score
I just pulled these off the rack. I don’t think the photos are exactly representative, but...
91232C73-22F1-4080-AB71-733485CAD6F8.jpeg
BA283438-B1A7-4EE1-9189-5992F3948FFF.jpeg
0A1F6A38-2779-44D5-A6A4-EE3D646B1ED5.jpeg

chicken1616

Reaction score
1st pair are Smoke's on a #38 last, second pair rebuilt Hathorn Electrical Hazard's #55 last.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@chicken1616

Can you compare and contrast the build quality between the Hathorn Traveler and a pair of heritage White's. The traveler always seemed like a good value if you liked the 461 and were willing to forgo customization, but I have always viewed the Hathorn line as "less than" White's.

Any insight?

chicken1616

Reaction score
I don't think the build quality is different. Just less construction steps. 3 rows of stitching on the vamps, less leather in counter, different, lighter, standard build leather, etc. Compared to an SD, they are lighter. Interestingly enough, they are great for ...traveling. If I am going to do a lot of driving, these are my first pick. I feel as if I can beat them up more and not feel guilty, also. I have another pair in distressed brown, which I had resoled to a #269 by Baker's. The original half sole compound was horrible. The newer half sole, which the Red Dog's have, has a much better compound, but not a big fan of the half sole in general.
I think they will last just as long as SD's. Both are overbuilt. The #461 Last is one of my least favorite, but I know how to make it work, size wise.
I think they are a good value.I have drawn back from wearing 8" Smoke's and gravitated toward SD'S because of clunkiness and weight. The Travelers are even less clunky and weigh less.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think the build quality is different. Just less construction steps. 3 rows of stitching on the vamps, less leather in counter, different, lighter, standard build leather, etc. Compared to an SD, they are lighter. Interestingly enough, they are great for ...traveling. If I am going to do a lot of driving, these are my first pick. I feel as if I can beat them up more and not feel guilty, also. I have another pair in distressed brown, which I had resoled to a #269 by Baker's. The original half sole compound was horrible. The newer half sole, which the Red Dog's have, has a much better compound, but not a big fan of the half sole in general.
I think they will last just as long as SD's. Both are overbuilt. The #461 Last is one of my least favorite, but I know how to make it work, size wise.
I think they are a good value.I have drawn back from wearing 8" Smoke's and gravitated toward SD'S because of clunkiness and weight. The Travelers are even less clunky and weigh less.
One more question... can you give us a comparison of fit in 55 vs 38 Swing vs 461? What size do you order for each, and are there any pressure points particular to each last?

chicken1616

Reaction score
The Swing, in general, fits my foot the best. I have a Brannock 13B foot. BUT, my small toe splays out by a lot.A narrow last doesn't work well. I have found, also I need to move up in size, to move the widest portion of the last up to where my toe splays outward, and also fit my arch the best (long arch). The 38 has the widest forefoot, the 55 is decent, and the 461 the worst for that.Even with the 38's room, I still need a longer size. The 38 is not available past 14. The 55 in 15E is probably best.I know a lot of people will freak out on this, but trust me, I have worked through numerous pairs in different sizes before I settled on that. Everyone's feet are different. I also put the Barrie last right there with the 55, but it has limited sizes. The 461 last reminds me of Red Wing Iron Rangers. Caveat: Most of my boots have Pedag Holiday Mini 3/4 insoles. I like lots of arch support, and those have minimal impact on fit. You can adjust fit through a fairly broad range with insoles(and socks).

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Morning all! First post in this thread as I got one of these boots in on consignment (and holy cow, is that the most solid boot I think I have ever held!), is there a certain name or model for it? I cant find a size, custom perhaps? Thanks in advance for any info!
IMG_4035.jpg
IMG_4036.jpg
IMG_4040.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads