• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

paulraphael

Reaction score
We drank this in college, because it was priced cheaper than water at the 7-11 across from my freshman dorm.

000174307.jpeg

After a few months of it, decent beer would taste strange.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We were in Western PA, and I remember in the early 1970s my grandfather drinking Koehler beer as well, which had a brewery in Erie as I recall. I've heard the brand has been resurrected recently. And if you wanted to go high end in those days in PA, it meant Rolling Rock!

John Frum

Reaction score
I actually liked Schaefer. Never tried the Light. Rolling Rock, pre-AB brewed in Latrobe, was great in the summer.

rustygold

Reaction score
BTW, recently saw this pair of White's on the Ebay, with rivets. I've always had a soft spot for rivets -- wonder if it might become an option.

View attachment 1363375
Vintage Boot line. The OTTO White. Otto was a third generation bootmaker and head of White's Shoe Shop for 52 years. I think it's Horween Brown.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll leave this hear since we're just talking about leather work :)

My newly crafted wallet, damn near destroyed my hands in the process...

Veg tan weave and inner, oiled mocha exterior, and Color 8 shell card sleeves

Will go great with my White's

View attachment 1362188

View attachment 1362189
View attachment 1362190

looks awesome. you should post that in the DIY thread too

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage Boot line. The OTTO White. Otto was a third generation bootmaker and head of White's Shoe Shop for 52 years. I think it's Horween Brown.
Thanks. I’m mainly wondering if we might be able to get rivets on SDs or SJs.

discomute

Reaction score
20200331_082743.jpg

This was my favourite when I was a teenager. I am from a rural area and it was a cheap beer that was very rural, or 'country'.

I moved to a city to get my degree, then travelled up north in the tropics for 7 years working and forgot all about it

When I moved.back.to the big smoke 4 years ago it was everywhere! Turns out the hipsters had got a hold of it and appropriated it and now every fancy bar stoked it along with microbrews. To give a retro feel maybe? Anyway, i still love it, I was in seventh heaven.

Of course it's now more expensive than the average beer...

John Frum

Reaction score
@discomute
Turns out the hipsters had got a hold of it and appropriated it and now every fancy bar stoked it along with microbrews. To give a retro feel maybe? Anyway, i still love it, I was in seventh heaven.

Seems to parallel our Pabst Blue Ribbon and my opinion of it. :)

giantslor

Reaction score
For me it was Nati Light, or Nati Ice for special occasions. Couldn't pay me to drink it now. (Well, that might be a lie.)

Back to Red Dog (the leather color, not the beer)... I've read and kept up with this whole thread, and posted in it a time or two (way back when). I'm coming back out of the woodwork to second @hoppy_IPA 's post. I'm curious about Red Dog, too.

What color would y'all say Red Dog really looks like IRL? When new? And when it's aged?

I ask not from a place of ignorance, but obsession. I've been trying to decide between a BH in red dog vs. distressed smooth for over a year now. I have a folder of pics from all over the internet (this thread and other places). I even have a sample of Red Dog from Kyle. But I just can't get a handle of how RED it really is. (Or could become, with age.) Sometimes it comes across like a reddish brown; other times it looks absolutely fire engine. I know cameras and screens show color differently, leather batches will vary, and I'm mildly colorblind. So it all adds up to a hell of a mystery for me.

Also: I'm interested in a medallion/half brogue toe cap. I've only seen that done in red dog once, EVER (recently on whitesriver's ebay page). Why is that such an uncommon build? The Ronald McDonald potential? (Even in a SD last, I could see a really-red, half-brogued toe looking that way.)

iamntbatman

Reaction score
On beer: in the Baltimore area of course it's National Bohemian (Natty Boh). In college we'd go to this one run down store where they'd sell twelve packs cut in half for dirt cheap. Here in Korea there's Cass, Hite, OB, Max...loads of swill lagers that taste the same as swill lagers worldwide.

On Red Dog leather: to me this leather looks really different in smooth vs. roughout. The smooth really does have a red color to it, and looks very, well, clown-shoe like if it's shined up too much. The roughout has far less of a red tone to it and is really attractive if you ask me.

discomute

Reaction score
On Red Dog leather: to me this leather looks really different in smooth vs. roughout. The smooth really does have a red color to it, and looks very, well, clown-shoe like if it's shined up too much. The roughout has far less of a red tone to it and is really attractive if you ask me.

I'd agree with this. I also think you're automatically a notch or two below in formality when using rough out.

Overall it sounds like you like the idea of a lighter brown but don't love the red that's in it. It's just a guess but that is exactly how I felt when looking at red dog. It's an expensive mistake and if you're at all unsure I'd steer clear, but that's just me.

chicken1616

Reaction score
For me it was Nati Light, or Nati Ice for special occasions. Couldn't pay me to drink it now. (Well, that might be a lie.)

Back to Red Dog (the leather color, not the beer)... I've read and kept up with this whole thread, and posted in it a time or two (way back when). I'm coming back out of the woodwork to second @hoppy_IPA 's post. I'm curious about Red Dog, too.

What color would y'all say Red Dog really looks like IRL? When new? And when it's aged?

I ask not from a place of ignorance, but obsession. I've been trying to decide between a BH in red dog vs. distressed smooth for over a year now. I have a folder of pics from all over the internet (this thread and other places). I even have a sample of Red Dog from Kyle. But I just can't get a handle of how RED it really is. (Or could become, with age.) Sometimes it comes across like a reddish brown; other times it looks absolutely fire engine. I know cameras and screens show color differently, leather batches will vary, and I'm mildly colorblind. So it all adds up to a hell of a mystery for me.

Also: I'm interested in a medallion/half brogue toe cap. I've only seen that done in red dog once, EVER (recently on whitesriver's ebay page). Why is that such an uncommon build? The Ronald McDonald potential? (Even in a SD last, I could see a really-red, half-brogued toe looking that way.)
I kind of get what you are saying, but I think the "red" part of Red Dog is overstated. I have a pair with black uppers, and Red Dog lowers, an are the only pair I wear regularly that get compliments regularly. They do get a little darker with age, but not much. I like them because they can go as "brown", whereas the regular oil brown, and distressed brown darken so much with age, that they start looking almost like black. This is just my opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads