• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr.Chest

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. These boots are unlined; that loose grain you can see is the top grain of the waxed flesh, which is a roughout leather.
Is the tongue on your boots waxed flesh?

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. These boots are unlined; that loose grain you can see is the top grain of the waxed flesh, which is a roughout leather.

ooooh it looks like the tan lining :)

Likely can't do an exchange if they've been worn, but it should be fine when they're on your foot, right?

Jimk4003

Reaction score
ooooh it looks like the tan lining :)

Likely can't do an exchange if they've been worn, but it should be fine when they're on your foot, right?
If it's an issue with the leather, wouldn't that be a warranty issue ("warranted to be free of defects in material and workmanship one year from date of purchase", according to White's), which wouldn't be affected by whether the boots have been worn or not?
It appears like the tongue is unlined and the rest of the boot is. At least to my eye. ?‍♂️
None of the boot is lined. The upper is full grain leather, just turned inside out, which is why the inside of the boot is smooth. The tongue is a thinner piece of waxed flesh, which looks to have been split; leaving a waxy nap on the outside, and a drier nap on the inside.

discomute

Reaction score
Renovateur is for conditioning... and once every few months sounds about right...

@johng70 is right... if your calf is prone to scuffs, the best thing you can do for them is to add a nice layer of wax... think of it as a "deflector shield"... and not only for scuffs, also for rain, snow, dirt, salt, slush, etc. (although if wearing calf in those conditions one might best be served by a good pair of overshoes or commuter boots.)

Wax... now wax is for shine, but also for protection... a scuff that otherwise would reach the leather surface, may only disturb the wax layers, and thus be easily brushed or polished out. Even if a scuff did disturb the actual leather surface, if used properly the wax polish will recolor, fill any voids and create a new surface making the old scuff invisible.

Renovateur, being colorless is for conditioning the leather itself and leaving the surface with a glow.
Color: None;
Shine: Low (more "glow" or "sheen" maybe)
Conditioning: High
Surface Protection: None
View attachment 1345314
Pommadier Cream Polish imparts a little more shine, some conditioning, and being pigmented can cover surface imperfections.
Color: Medium;
Shine: Medium;
Conditioning: Medium/Low
Surface Protection: Low
View attachment 1345317

High Gloss Wax imparts a little conditioning and does not soak in much, but gives a good shine, and recolors scuffs really well. I use Renovateur solely for conditioning, so I don't need that from my wax. This is my "go to" product for every day.
Color: High;
Shine: High;
Conditioning: Low
Surface Protection: High
View attachment 1345319
Mirror Gloss conditions not at all, recolors very well and can give a dazzling shine. I use this on toe caps and heels, and when building initial wax layers... if you use this anywhere the leather flexes, you will get unsightly white flaking... a most unfortunate look that needs to be brushed off.
Color Very High;
Shine: Dazzling;
Conditioning: None
Surface Protection: High, but with the white flaking caveat.
View attachment 1345318

Canadian conditions a tiny bit, recolors best of all, but gives no shine... I would only use this if I were trying to recolor from some massive catastrophic event.
Color: Off the Charts;
Shine: None;
Conditioning: Very Little.
Surface Protection: Low
View attachment 1345320
In any event, my opinion is Saphir is the best... as long as you stick to the Medaille D'or, not the Beaute Du Cuir (which is OK too, but not as good as the MDO.) Note Canadian is only available in Beaute Du Cuir, maybe because it did not exist in 1925... I do not know... c'est la vie.

All of the above is my opinion only.

Interesting

At the moment I have the renovataur and the Pomm Creme polish. If I was to get the high gloss wax polish would you recommend:
- black, or
- colourless

And would I use it
- after using my Pomm creme, or
- instead of using my Pomm creme?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting

At the moment I have the renovataur and the Pomm Creme polish. If I was to get the high gloss wax polish would you recommend:
- black, or
- colourless

And would I use it
I always recommend you match the color of your boot if possible... so black for black... you want the pigment in the product to color in any scuffs.

I use the neutral products on light boots and shoes with white stitching that I do not want to color... like the Alden 405... I want the toe stitching to stay white, and I do not want a super shine, so I use the Pomm neutral there.

If it were me, with your scuffs and your concern about over treatment, I would use the black wax polish place of the black Pomm Creme... I only need one product bringing pigment to the party.

If I wanted a low shine, with conditioning, and wanted ease of use in one product, I would use the Pomm, but I prefer to use multiple products depending on what I want in a particular shoe or finish.

js0930

Reaction score
Something a little different. Rough out LTTs on the NW Last. Picked them up off eBay and now deciding whether to keep them.
image.jpg

iamntbatman

Reaction score
I like those ^.

If it's an issue with the leather, wouldn't that be a warranty issue ("warranted to be free of defects in material and workmanship one year from date of purchase", according to White's), which wouldn't be affected by whether the boots have been worn or not?

None of the boot is lined. The upper is full grain leather, just turned inside out, which is why the inside of the boot is smooth. The tongue is a thinner piece of waxed flesh, which looks to have been split; leaving a waxy nap on the outside, and a drier nap on the inside.

I have never seen waxed flesh have such serious loose grain like that. Unfortunately the affected panel is in the upper so having them rebuilt wouldn't do you any good. I would definitely contact White's about that, as they will know more about whether that loose grain will impact the durability/longevity of the boot, and I suspect that if they think it would, they would likely honor their warranty.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
I like those ^.

I have never seen waxed flesh have such serious loose grain like that. Unfortunately the affected panel is in the upper so having them rebuilt wouldn't do you any good. I would definitely contact White's about that, as they will know more about whether that loose grain will impact the durability/longevity of the boot, and I suspect that if they think it would, they would likely honor their warranty.
Thanks, I've emailed some photos to White's just asking for any input or advice they can offer. I've yet to hear back, but I'll wait to hear what they say.

Last edited:

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting

And would I use it
Use wax instead of. If you're not exposing the leather to harsh conditions continuously - i.e. just wearing to the office, there is no reason you need to use anything other than polish. Cream polish doesn't protect as well as wax. Remember, a lot of the "commercials" out there from places like the hanger project are trying to get you to buy more products. Products you don't need.

discomute

Reaction score
Use wax instead of. If you're not exposing the leather to harsh conditions continuously - i.e. just wearing to the office, there is no reason you need to use anything other than polish. Cream polish doesn't protect as well as wax. Remember, a lot of the "commercials" out there from places like the hanger project are trying to get you to buy more products. Products you don't need.

That was exactly my thoughts when I bought the renovataur and creme polish. However, on the way there I'm crammed onto public transport and since the start on the year I've had 5 people stand on my shoes, one of which left a permanent (though very minor) mark. So I'm tempted by the idea of some added protection.

miggyramone

Reaction score
I got samples of Brown Smooth and Distressed smooth. Brown Smooth is surprisingly nice. It's stiff and smooth. Not dressy but not like any oil tanned leathers I've had before. Distressed smooth is a lot darker than the pictures I've seen. It's oily and pretty resistant to scratches. Both are roughly the shape of a coaster, so I will be using them as such.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads