• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

discomute

Reaction score
I suspect that heel slippage is exacerbated by the Barrie last (warning internet hack theory coming) because it's not an Otto/White's design, but copied from a manufacturer whose focus is the shape of the boot to give that "dress" feel. Therefore it requires a sleek toe shape proportionate to the boot, which means in turn more room in the heel/ankle for what the toe needs to look like in your relevant size.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's official gentlemen. Please PM me if you're interested. Passing along the same deal I got after wearing them once to a dinner last weekend.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
Boot Height:

I’ve always been under the impression that the height be it 8, 10 or 12” was the shaft measurement & not the overall boot height.

I recently received a pair of 10” boots from a different PNW maker recently that seemed a bit tall. My normal boot socks pulled up below the top. These same socks were just the right height for my “10 inch” Smoke Jumpers so figured my new boots must have accidentally been built in a 12” height...

Upon inspection this evening, the White’s 10” SJ is 10” OVERALL height, including the heel & sole. This recent pair from a different PNW maker is 10” shaft height; measured from top of the shaft to top of the sole.

What is everyone else’s understanding & expectation of boot height?

ThreeLions

Reaction score
Boot Height:

I’ve always been under the impression that the height be it 8, 10 or 12” was the shaft measurement & not the overall boot height.

I recently received a pair of 10” boots from a different PNW maker recently that seemed a bit tall. My normal boot socks pulled up below the top. These same socks were just the right height for my “10 inch” Smoke Jumpers so figured my new boots must have accidentally been built in a 12” height...

Upon inspection this evening, the White’s 10” SJ is 10” OVERALL height, including the heel & sole. This recent pair from a different PNW maker is 10” shaft height; measured from top of the shaft to top of the sole.

What is everyone else’s understanding & expectation of boot height?

My guess is that your smokejumpers are actually 8" boots. When measuring at the back of the boot, mine measure 10" from the TOP of the sole to the top of the shaft. I have two pairs of 10" smokejumpers and one pair of 12". All are measured from the top of the sole to the top of the boot.

What where the other boots you got? Pics or it never happened! :)

discomute

Reaction score
I have a question about boot care. Someone, I think @Legal Eagles said that they ruined a pair of their boots by over conditioning. As such I am using my renovataur sparingly.

However I'm finding across a working week they generally need the Pommadier creme once a week to get out the minor scuffs.

Is a weekly service of Pomm Creme going to cause any issues with the leather long term?

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question about boot care. Someone, I think @Legal Eagles said that they ruined a pair of their boots by over conditioning. As such I am using my renovataur sparingly.

However I'm finding across a working week they generally need the Pommadier creme once a week to get out the minor scuffs.

Is a weekly service of Pomm Creme going to cause any issues with the leather long term?
What type of leather are your boots?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What type of leather are your boots?
Yes, we need to know the type of leather.

The pair I "ruined" was brown CXL... I slathered them in Obenauf's (I heard it was "the thing" for White's boots!) until it literally would not soak in any further. They were "ruined" not in the sense that they could not be worn, but that they lost all shade and color variation and took on the appearance of a wet paper bag, and lost some of the firmness to the leather... they basically became dull and boring.

What kind of "minor scuffs" are you getting? If I could not get the scuffs out with a brisk brushing, I would use a colored shoe polish on the affected area... it will cover the scuff, but not soak into the leather. Little chance of "over-treating" with hard polish. Any cream type product can be overused, but if you are not slathering it on... try using a dab on your finger and spreading it thin... you are not likely doing any damage.

I may brush my boots once a week or if they are dusty, but do not condition weekly. Perhaps you are putting yours to harder use... but do share the leather you are dealing with, and perhaps pictures of the scuffs.

Leveskie

Reaction score
Yes, we need to know the type of leather.

The pair I "ruined" was brown CXL... I slathered them in Obenauf's (I heard it was "the thing" for White's boots!) until it literally would not soak in any further. They were "ruined" not in the sense that they could not be worn, but that they lost all shade and color variation and took on the appearance of a wet paper bag, and lost some of the firmness to the leather... they basically became dull and boring.

What kind of "minor scuffs" are you getting? If I could not get the scuffs out with a brisk brushing, I would use a colored shoe polish on the affected area... it will cover the scuff, but not soak into the leather. Little chance of "over-treating" with hard polish. Any cream type product can be overused, but if you are not slathering it on... try using a dab on your finger and spreading it thin... you are not likely doing any damage.

I may brush my boots once a week or if they are dusty, but do not condition weekly. Perhaps you are putting yours to harder use... but do share the leather you are dealing with, and perhaps pictures of the scuffs.
That is one expensive wet paper bag. Did you sell them after that?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is one expensive wet paper bag. Did you sell them after that?
I did.

I could not bear to look at them.

They were a constant reminder of my failing, and like Poe's telltale heart began to haunt me day and night, and so I had to cast them from me...

"Villains!" I shrieked, "dissemble no more! I admit the deed! --tear up the planks! here, here! --It is the beating of [these] hideous [boots]!"

Leveskie

Reaction score
I did.

I could not bear to look at them.

They were a constant reminder of my failing, and like Poe's telltale heart began to haunt me day and night, and so I had to cast them from me...

"Villains!" I shrieked, "dissemble no more! I admit the deed! --tear up the planks! here, here! --It is the beating of [these] hideous [boots]!"
The part of Connecticut that I'm from, wearing a paper bag on your feet would be considered classy. And the person those whites went to was probably very happy. Not everyone likes patina and sometimes all uniform in color is a good thing.

ThatDudeOrion

Reaction score
does anyone have the ability to do a side-by-side mini photo review of their 55 last vs MP boot? Trying to get an idea of how the toe boxes visually compare to one another.

Also - if anyone is actually interested in a small-batch whiskey (or natural) shell boot order, please PM me. I'm in talks with Kyle, and there is strength in numbers...
pm sent

Elk Wrath

Reaction score
Quick question,

Been wearing my service boots for a few hours a day to get them broken in, and I’ve noticed some minor separation of the heel stack on my right boot.

Is that a normal thing, or will I risk further delamination by wearing them?

Attachments

• 443CE081-2FBC-43EC-B0CB-DFE25CA61F8A.jpeg
    443CE081-2FBC-43EC-B0CB-DFE25CA61F8A.jpeg
    275.1 KB · Views: 118

Leveskie

Reaction score
Quick question,

Been wearing my service boots for a few hours a day to get them broken in, and I’ve noticed some minor separation of the heel stack on my right boot.

Is that a normal thing, or will I risk further delamination by wearing them?
As long as the nails aren't backing out I wouldn't worry about it. The leather could have shrunken a little to cause the separation

Elk Wrath

Reaction score
Awesome, I’ll keep an eye out to see if anything changes, would be a shame if I couldn’t wear them now that all other boots have been ruined for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads