• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
I recently fitted for white's boots and found that my heels are loose (very loose) for the correct length and width. Do you guys have any experience with this and if so how was it handled? I was told that I could have the heel lasted tighter (without a last modification or adjustment) or have the last modified (Extra cost).

Is there any way to have the heels tightened apart from the two options mentioned?

TIA

See sambam's posts just now. A combo last might be right for you. I know in the future if I get anything else in the Barrie last I will likely go for this option. My MPs could use a little more room in the toes and a bit less in the heels, so this sounds like a great solution to me.

paulraphael

Reaction score
Would Baker's ever recommend a different last, like the combo last, based on a customer's foot tracing?

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does anyone have the ability to do a side-by-side mini photo review of their 55 last vs MP boot? Trying to get an idea of how the toe boxes visually compare to one another.

Also - if anyone is actually interested in a small-batch whiskey (or natural) shell boot order, please PM me. I'm in talks with Kyle, and there is strength in numbers...

Perfectcircles

Reaction score
See sambam's posts just now. A combo last might be right for you. I know in the future if I get anything else in the Barrie last I will likely go for this option. My MPs could use a little more room in the toes and a bit less in the heels, so this sounds like a great solution to me.

Thanks for the reply.

Is the 5050 FOR MP boots only or is it going to be available for the bounty hunters?

I should have mentioned that I was fitted on the semi dress and smoke jumpers.

Chupacabra

Reaction score
I’ve had a couple pair of Whites that felt a tad loose in the heels directly out of the box but feel about perfect now that I’ve worn them for a few months. Definitely not saying you don’t have an issue but in my experience the looser heel and some minor heel slip remedied itself after breaking in the boot.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a couple pair of Whites that felt a tad loose in the heels directly out of the box but feel about perfect now that I’ve worn them for a few months. Definitely not saying you don’t have an issue but in my experience the looser heel and some minor heel slip remedies itself after breaking in the boot.
Or use a tongue pad, or use lock lacing, but yes, minor heel slip usually gets better with time.

Chupacabra

Reaction score
Or use a tongue pad, or use lock lacing, but yes, minor heel slip usually gets better with time.

Agreed, even if I doubted everyone that told me that at the time. I get it... it’s tough when you have a $400-$600 pair of boot that don’t feel like 100%.

I asked Kyle about a combination last at the time, and I’m sure in person he made a face that’d shame me. LOL. I think Kyle usually nails the sizing, or at least can get you very very close. The variable that can effect this the most is that we all probably trace our feet with a relatively wide-swinging margin of error.

Obviously the there are a few here that did not have good luck in the tracing process.

Last edited:

RCD33

Reaction score
Would Baker's ever recommend a different last, like the combo last, based on a customer's foot tracing?

I was originally sized as a 10D, which was too short and tight in the toes, but with a perfect hold on my heel. I did new tracings and sent them to Kyle who, while keeping me in the 55 last, changed the recommendation to 10.5C heel, E forefoot on the left foot and 10.5C heel, D forefoot on the right. Still waiting for these to show up, but it aligns with how I feel about most shoes, i.e. too tight in the toes, particularly on my left, but roomy in the instep and heel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads