• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never owned it, I was just going off what Kirby Allison said. Yes you can shine of course but he said there is virtually no need for it. He said there was no patina because it's a membrane not a skin (i.e. not technically leather).

I'm not sure what you mean by "evolution" and I'd be interested. Again, I claim no expertise, I was just reciting what someone said who I thought would know. Doesn't mean I've fully understood what he meant either.

Edit:
If anyone is interested

Lots of reviews and photos out there to Google and check out. But here are two updates from Reddit that include Initial Impressions links and then post wear images.:

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Unglazed natural shell, which of course will age much more and faster than anything else.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Though my Quabug heels wear faster than I'd ideally like, I would have a rough time going from them to anything else for one important reason: they're by far the grippiest heel caps I own on wet, slick surfaces like rain-soaked marble. My Vibram commando heel capped MPs can ice skate like Dainite sometimes.

So far I've only needed one re-heeling, and I got it done at Burrough's Shoe Repair in Fukuoka. I'd hop back over there if I needed it done again.

Woodtroll

Reaction score
Though my Quabug heels wear faster than I'd ideally like, I would have a rough time going from them to anything else for one important reason: they're by far the grippiest heel caps I own on wet, slick surfaces like rain-soaked marble. My Vibram commando heel capped MPs can ice skate like Dainite sometimes.

So far I've only needed one re-heeling, and I got it done at Burrough's Shoe Repair in Fukuoka. I'd hop back over there if I needed it done again.

I remember reading somewhere that White’s prefers the Quabaug heels for that very reason - that they are “grippy”. And I’ve always assumed that extra grip meant softer compound, like snow tires, and that accelerated wear was the accepted trade-off. Luckily, as y’all point out, the heels are easy enough to recap as long as the wear doesn’t reach the leather heel stack.

I’m intrigued by your reference to walking on rain-slick marble, as I’ve never experienced that. It certainly sounds slick! Where do you find such a thing? Steps on big-city buildings, perhaps? Honest question, and in no way am I trying to say I don’t believe you. In some ways, I guess I’m still a naive bumpkin.;)

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shell looks great imo, including black shell. in terms of age, over time the darker dyes fade lighter, and, I believe, the lightest colors get darker, though I have no personal experience with the lighter colors. no experience with White's (yet), just Alden's shell.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that White’s prefers the Quabaug heels for that very reason - that they are “grippy”. And I’ve always assumed that extra grip meant softer compound, like snow tires, and that accelerated wear was the accepted trade-off. Luckily, as y’all point out, the heels are easy enough to recap as long as the wear doesn’t reach the leather heel stack.

I’m intrigued by your reference to walking on rain-slick marble, as I’ve never experienced that. It certainly sounds slick! Where do you find such a thing? Steps on big-city buildings, perhaps? Honest question, and in no way am I trying to say I don’t believe you. In some ways, I guess I’m still a naive bumpkin.;)

For some reason Korea has a habit of paving lots of public spaces in polished stone (flat, smooth granite or marble). Plus then lots of building interiors have marble floors and people track water inside.

discomute

Reaction score
For some reason Korea has a habit of paving lots of public spaces in polished stone (flat, smooth granite or marble). Plus then lots of building interiors have marble floors and people track water inside.
Australia has the latter. My work lobby is very difficult in my Main Streets when it's been raining.

tocohillsguy

Reaction score
Another silly question. I asked Kyle @ Baker's if it possible to get 6" packers, and was told that the shortest that White's would go on packers is 8". Now I have seen some 6" packers in the wild! Is this a recent option or just accidental?

They exist....
20200222_114928.jpg

geremy

Reaction score
Hi! Maybe I didn't ask the question correctly or misunderstood what Kyle was saying. Thanks for the confirmation. Did you order them directly through White's?

tocohillsguy

Reaction score
Hi! Maybe I didn't ask the question correctly or misunderstood what Kyle was saying. Thanks for the confirmation. Did you order them directly through White's?
No, they were an Ebay purchase. Still not positive as to the last that was used.

tocohillsguy

Reaction score
So. here's my question of the day. Can a Traveler's heel be converted to a Cuban heel through sanding and perhaps a new top lift, or must you replace the entire heel stack?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads