• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crit_Obs

Reaction score
Question on maintenance: where do you ragged lot shop for your replacement quabaug heels, any recommendations?

Better yet, any suggestions on alternative heels to use? Quabaug seems to wear faster than I'd perhaps prefer.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you're a size 11D and want some sweet looking shell semi dress, some brown ones just appeared on the bay for $700 (or best offer!)
Close by no cigar... when they come up in Whisky Shell, 38 Swing, 11.5EE, with medallion cap toe... I am on it. I am not holding my breath...

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question on maintenance: where do you ragged lot shop for your replacement quabaug heels, any recommendations?

Better yet, any suggestions on alternative heels to use? Quabaug seems to wear faster than I'd perhaps prefer.
Whatever my cobbler has in stock... usually Vibram... I use Blakey's segs so the heels do not wear much at all... plus I click when I walk.

miggyramone

Reaction score
A cobbler on reddit recently reviewed rubber heel caps. He seems to like Vibram's 700 heels. I'm curious to try those next time I need heel caps.

Woodtroll

Reaction score
Whatever my cobbler has in stock... usually Vibram... I use Blakey's segs so the heels do not wear much at all... plus I click when I walk.

I have good luck with these two replacement heels, and the folks at Leather Care Supply are good to deal with:

They say they are "cowboy heel" replacements, but they are very similar to the Quabaugs.

Good luck!

discomute

Reaction score
Close by no cigar... when they come up in Whisky Shell, 38 Swing, 11.5EE, with medallion cap toe... I am on it. I am not holding my breath...

I didn't think you'd like shell... No patina and no need for a waxing routine... Seems very anti legaleagles to me...

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh great, another seemingly mundane object to research and investigate.

I mean thanks! How do you size these things?
I always get the ones with the integral nails - so I go for a size 8... tap it into the heel to get it started, then step down on a hard surface to seat it. D2026F0B-4CA7-4BB2-8CAA-A6C5ACD01A16.jpeg AA1D79DA-06EF-48AF-8862-85436361F25E.jpeg

Last edited:

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't think you'd like shell... No patina and no need for a waxing routine... Seems very anti legaleagles to me...
Whisky shell... how else am I going to get a tan-ish dress leather from Whites? These are not Whites but you get an idea of what I dream may someday be possible...
1582319371795.jpeg

It is not a unicorn... it has been done and could be done again:
1582324001160.png

More here...

I am thinking group buy... who is with me?

Last edited:

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you could always check out Viberg - here's their latest and greatest:

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you could always check out Viberg - here's their latest and greatest:

That has to be a joke... right?

Last edited:

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the fact that it's "sold out" goes to show that people will buy whatever they make. Scary amount of power for a bootmaker to have...

Next stop, fish slippers - Flippers!

shoes.jpg

Last edited:

discomute

Reaction score
You can shine shell...and the color variations and evolution of shell (short of black) is legendary...
I've never owned it, I was just going off what Kirby Allison said. Yes you can shine of course but he said there is virtually no need for it. He said there was no patina because it's a membrane not a skin (i.e. not technically leather).

I'm not sure what you mean by "evolution" and I'd be interested. Again, I claim no expertise, I was just reciting what someone said who I thought would know. Doesn't mean I've fully understood what he meant either.

Edit:
If anyone is interested

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads