• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

miggyramone

Reaction score
Seeing how this is "style forum", how do you guys style your white's? Do you go for a specific look? Or just thrown on whatever with them?

iamntbatman

Reaction score
I wear mine with raw denim or duck work pants. In warmer weather I'm in t-shirts, cooler weather are henleys and/or flannel, wool sweaters, work shirts, denim jackets, canvas field jacket, olive bomber, brown horsehide d-pocket jacket, duffel coat, etc. Pretty typical I guess.

Engineer05

Reaction score
I wore mine with sweatpants and a vest (?...?), while the kid rode her bike.

7BOvIyZ_d.jpg

discomute

Reaction score
Seeing how this is "style forum", how do you guys style your white's? Do you go for a specific look? Or just thrown on whatever with them?

I like this topic!

I wear my black calfskin main streets with either chinos and a shirt, or my work suit. I admit I'm probably pushing fashion sensibilities on this one - I'll post our recent work photos when they end up on our site and you can all see.

My soon-to-be brown smooth bounty hunters with go with my old chinos when I'm outside and my new chinos when I'm dressing up slightly, with a t shirt at a pub or a mates house, etc.

I would sincerely love a nice "light brown dress" or even better "light brown horsehide" to put with a pair of semi dress to really bridge that gap and take over the "new Chino and collared shirt" look. But I can't afford them anyway - by the time I can, who knows what leathers there will be.

Weird fact about me - I've owned one pair of jeans in my life and I didn't like them.

Last edited:

miggyramone

Reaction score
I was looking at White's options and they make a Tan Bullhide and Sienna bullhide. If I remember correctly, Sienna is fairly light.

discomute

Reaction score
I was looking at White's options and they make a Tan Bullhide and Sienna bullhide. If I remember correctly, Sienna is fairly light.

It was really interesting how much bullhide was loved in the early years of this thread. It's really unique, sort of reminds me of crocodile leather. But, personally, not for me.

geremy

Reaction score
I thought I saw some sienna water buffalo available as well.

sambam

Reaction score
My Main Streets came in today and they look great! I don't have enough experience with suede or rough out to tell the difference, so I'm still not sure what leather these are, but they still feel really solid and well made

I have no idea if this is suede with a lining, or if it's the smooth side of rough out
Our reserve line uses true Suede's. Very nice stuff. Just received black suede and will get some stock going on those as well.

Engineer05

Reaction score
How does everyone like/prefer to train their tongue?

In my rookie days of buying expensive boots, I didn't understand the importance of properly training a gusseted tongue. In a couple pairs of older boots the tongues look like raisins, since I laced them up and allowed the tongue to randomly fold and bunch up at will. I noticed pressure points along my shins and ankles, and, unfortunately, once a tongue is creased/folded, it's very difficult to undo.

Depending on the leather, you get one chance to train the tongue. I bought some roughout packers (shown below) from Wesco several years ago, and Chris Warren showed me how to correctly fold the tongue during the first wear. It's been my standard method since then.

If there's enough material, I generally prefer to fold the tongue over, such that there are three layers of leather between the laces and my shin. If the tongue material isn't generous enough to fold, I usually smooth back the tongue, creating a fold under each facing. Depending on the tongue material/thickness, this can cause some discomfort, since it places the fold on top of the ankle bone.

Farmer Ranchers (folded tongue)

dLPkgDY.jpg

Well-trained Wescos

VrwzbTP.jpg

Well-trained Vibergs

NNn97T3.jpg

Poorly-trained Wescos

iDbACVP.jpg

Sledge42

Reaction score
@Engineer05 : Excellent topic to discuss. I try to equally fold the tongue under each side if possible. Making the tongue as smooth as possible in the center. If I have to fold leather over leather in the "middle" I tend to lean it towards the inside of each foot.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ When I got my BHs I couldn't stand the gusseted tongue. The fold on one foot especially was constantly painful on my ankle bone. I kept thinking they would break in or I would get used to it, but it never worked for me. I ended up taking a pair of scissors and cutting them down to "semi-gusseted," and it was perfect. If I get another pair I am going to ask for semi-gusseted (ie, like an SD tongue).

andy b.

Reaction score
How does everyone like/prefer to train their tongue?

In my rookie days of buying expensive boots, I didn't understand the importance of properly training a gusseted tongue. In a couple pairs of older boots the tongues look like raisins, since I laced them up and allowed the tongue to randomly fold and bunch up at will. I noticed pressure points along my shins and ankles, and, unfortunately, once a tongue is creased/folded, it's very difficult to undo.

Depending on the leather, you get one chance to train the tongue. I bought some roughout packers (shown below) from Wesco several years ago, and Chris Warren showed me how to correctly fold the tongue during the first wear. It's been my standard method since then.

If there's enough material, I generally prefer to fold the tongue over, such that there are three layers of leather between the laces and my shin. If the tongue material isn't generous enough to fold, I usually smooth back the tongue, creating a fold under each facing. Depending on the tongue material/thickness, this can cause some discomfort, since it places the fold on top of the ankle bone.

Farmer Ranchers (folded tongue)

dLPkgDY.jpg

Well-trained Wescos

VrwzbTP.jpg

Well-trained Vibergs

NNn97T3.jpg

Poorly-trained Wescos

iDbACVP.jpg
I do exactly as you do. It seems to work best.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you're a size 11D and want some sweet looking shell semi dress, some brown ones just appeared on the bay for $700 (or best offer!)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads