• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Back on laces...I have seen plenty of Guarded Goods rawhide laces in the wild, and some of their round ones, but not that many of the flat waxed ones. Anyone have any photos of those on their boots? Before I dish out for shipping...

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back on laces...I have seen plenty of Guarded Goods rawhide laces in the wild, and some of their round ones, but not that many of the flat waxed ones. Anyone have any photos of those on their boots? Before I dish out for shipping...

I would personally go another direction. I have not had good experiences with their laces and they get super hyped by a few Reddit people.

miggyramone

Reaction score
No photo's of Guarded good's flat waxed laces but I've owned a few pairs. They are really strong and very waxy. They don't slide through speed hooks as nicely as Wolverine's 1k mile flat waxed laces but they are a close second to the Wolverine's. I like White's flat waxed laces too. I'm probably the most basic out of y'all. I just use plain old brown flat waxed laces on all my brown boots. I tried leather and para cord but felt pretty meh about both.

miggyramone

Reaction score
I would personally go another direction. I have not had good experiences with their laces and they get super hyped by a few Reddit people.
That's interesting. I've had no issues with their flat waxed laces. I've had their leather laces snap on me but that happened with my Truman laces, baker's laces, and white's leather laces.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seconded. Really not very good. Way too much wax on them that didn't allow them to be tied very well. The stock flat waxed from Whites are better.

Turns31

Reaction score
No photo's of Guarded good's flat waxed laces but I've owned a few pairs. They are really strong and very waxy. They don't slide through speed hooks as nicely as Wolverine's 1k mile flat waxed laces but they are a close second to the Wolverine's. I like White's flat waxed laces too. I'm probably the most basic out of y'all. I just use plain old brown flat waxed laces on all my brown boots. I tried leather and para cord but felt pretty meh about both.
Wolverine's are my favorite laces as well. I tried probably 10 different brands including GG, Viberg and a ton from Amazon. The 1000 Mile ones have the perfect amount of wax and are the perfect thickness. I now have a Ziploc bag full of laces I didn't like and just bought Wolverine ones for all my boots.

Leveskie

Reaction score
Paracord is my general purpose string/rope (after buying far too much of it years ago). I use it around the house and in the truck for tying stuff down, I make lanyards from it, use it when traveling for things like impromptu washing lines, hanging stuff, tie downs etc. I always like to think that with a leatherman, flashlight, and paracord one can solve any problem!

For shoelaces I sometimes take at least some of the interior strands out to make it more pliable and easier to tie (useful tip... the nylon strands inside also make decent fishing line!)
Seems like I've been using my paracord shoe laces wrong all this time! Good to know the nylon strands make good fishing line. I'm not much of a fisherman though.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Hmm. Well, I like the White's flat waxed laces pretty well (though I'm not huge on the aglets), but they're only the one color. I wanted to mix things up with some different colors, like olive and such. I'm not seeing many alternatives to GG for that other than kind of random brands on Amazon or Etsy.

paulraphael

Reaction score
Seems like I've been using my paracord shoe laces wrong all this time! Good to know the nylon strands make good fishing line. I'm not much of a fisherman though.

The Wikipedia article on paracord says it can also be used as floss. Fish or no fish, don't skimp on your oral hygiene.

Leveskie

Reaction score
The Wikipedia article on paracord says it can also be used as floss. Fish or no fish, don't skimp on your oral hygiene.
Well at least I know my boots will be healthy lol. I'll stick to normal flossing for now :)

Engineer05

Reaction score
My new Farmer/Ranchers came in from the whitesriver eBay store. I looked them over thoroughly and didn't see anything indicative of seconds quality.

The build, as far as I can tell:

Model: 6" Farmer / Rancher
Last: 4811
Leather: Brown Waxed Flesh, unlined shaft
Plain toe, no celastic
Cut top
Pull loops
Single midsole, brown edge
Vibram 430 half sole
Standard height Cuban heel
Size: 10.5EE

Feet are weird, especially mine. My Black Dress Bounty Hunters are 9.5EE, and they fit great with medium- or light-weight socks. My right foot is a little wider and shorter than my left; I put a heel pad in the right boot of the F/Rs to properly align my arch. I don't use a heel pad in the 9.5EE bounty hunters. In the F/R, with heavyweight socks, I get some tightness across the bridge of my foot. I'll probably stretch that area this evening. I'd probably wear a 10F on my right foot, if I placed a custom order.

My first pair of White's were SDs in navy CXL on the 38 last, and those were size 8.5E. My second pair were Bounty Hunters in Brown Dress in size 9E. I outgrew both of those, unfortunately. My feet have grown about 2 whole sizes, since I started running in 2016. I intentionally ordered the F/Rs large as a hedge against my feet growing even more.

Anyways, on to some crappy photos: ?

b2YL6HX.jpg

uGeWnCZ.jpg

ad4mLqh.jpg

L99m4v0.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads