• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$3 vice gripes work almost as well. Even for a crimping tool, there are more economical options.
I thought this being a White's Boots thread, economical would not be a concern! ;) We are after all regularly discussing $600 boots, $26 socks, $10 shoelaces, and leather care products that cost $10 per ounce!

Seriously though, you make a fair point on the plain vice grips... however I find the difficulty with the standard vice grips is that it flattens the aglet, pushing it out of round, even if one is careful.

The special tool has a channel cut in the face which allows the application of more even forces around the edge, radially toward the center, preserving the round shape of the aglet... crimping rather than crushing if you will.

Last edited:

wordfool

Reaction score
Does heat shrink tubing have a lifetime warranty?

Do aglets?! I'm loathe to pay for shoelaces when I already have plenty of paracord and heat shrink for myriad other uses. Lifetime warranties are all well and good, but it all depends how they work and how much hassle is involved in exercising that warranty. Not to mention the fact that I've never had paracord break on me!

Leveskie

Reaction score
Do aglets?! I'm loathe to pay for shoelaces when I already have plenty of paracord and heat shrink for myriad other uses. Lifetime warranties are all well and good, but it all depends how they work and how much hassle is involved in exercising that warranty. Not to mention the fact that I've never had paracord break on me!
Very true! I haven't had paracord break yet either. But, once they do I will find out how good this lifetime warranty is lol. What do you use paracord for other than boot laces?!?

miggyramone

Reaction score
I won’t publicly endorse a product unless I use it exclusively and I really believe in it.

My only official recommendations are U.S. Army issued mustache trimmers, Morton's salt, the C.R. Laurence Fein 2 inch axe-style scraper oscillating knife, White's Boots, and Darn Tough Socks...

There is so much to be learned from the wisdom of Ron Swanson... his Pyramid of Greatness hangs in my office...

View attachment 1339938
And Nick Offerman is a fan of White's in real life!

He like selvedge raw denim too!

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought this being a White's Boots thread, economical would not be a concern! ;) We are after all regularly discussing $600 boots, $26 socks, $10 shoelaces, and leather care products that cost $10 per ounce!

Seriously though, you make a fair point on the plain vice grips... however I find the difficulty with the standard vice grips is that it flattens the aglet, pushing it out of round, even if one is careful.

The special tool has a channel cut in the face which allows the application of more even forces around the edge, radially toward the center, preserving the round shape of the aglet... crimping rather than crushing if you will.
You're not wrong.

paulraphael

Reaction score
I've never tried it for shoelaces, but climbing accessory cord is stronger and more abrasion resistant than paracord at the same diameter. It may be a bit stiff and require a double knot. 3mm or 4mm would be the likely suspects. Blue Water is one brand that has solid black. Climbing shops have it in bulk and will sell by the foot ... but you may have to shop around online to find it in black or subdued solid colors.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes he is.

$600 White's will last forever and and therefore more economical than buying cheaper shoes.

We all tell our partners that, let's not deviate from it now.
I think you may have missed his point. Oh well.

wordfool

Reaction score
Very true! I haven't had paracord break yet either. But, once they do I will find out how good this lifetime warranty is lol. What do you use paracord for other than boot laces?!?

Paracord is my general purpose string/rope (after buying far too much of it years ago). I use it around the house and in the truck for tying stuff down, I make lanyards from it, use it when traveling for things like impromptu washing lines, hanging stuff, tie downs etc. I always like to think that with a leatherman, flashlight, and paracord one can solve any problem!

For shoelaces I sometimes take at least some of the interior strands out to make it more pliable and easier to tie (useful tip... the nylon strands inside also make decent fishing line!)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads