• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...It is my suspicion that heat & some sort of iron is used to apply the wax at the tannery. I imagine to be like waxing ski’s or a snowboard. I would guess the product used is clear/neautral/opaque wax that promotes the dyed color of the leather.

It’s my memory that waxed flesh is actually “waxed” somehow during the tanning process, rather than afterward..? Which gives it that distinctive texture/surface. I am not myself tempted by it, but I can see why some folks find it interesting.

Sledge42

Reaction score
On a follow up note. I went ahead and bought 6 pair of Darn Tough socks. I ran the gamut too. 2009's, 2012's, T4022's, and 2006's.

I've been wearing a pair each day for about a week now. All I can day is "Where have you been all my life!?"

They are a match made in heaven with my White's! Literally, in a week, no swampy cotton socks, no foot itch, and a HUGE difference in 14 hour foot odor.

My next round will be every color of the full cushion Hiker boot socks.

I'm sad it took me this long to "wise up!"

Appreciate all the input from folks who figured it out long before I did!

discomute

Reaction score
Hard to get in Australia. Bridgedale easier. At the moment I have two types of socks... Black long and white short. Makes the laundry wash quite easy.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a follow up note. I went ahead and bought 6 pair of Darn Tough socks.
Boy you do not do anything half way do you? I am glad to hear they work for you!
Did you go with the XL? How do they fit?
One other point, when you wash them, make sure they are turned inside out...

Netvine

Reaction score
How about laces? What brand and type of laces are you guys using? Color combinations for work and casual. Leather? Synethetic? Whats been working
I have been using Obenauf’s laces for a while now but they do like kinda dull.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about laces? What brand and type of laces are you guys using? Color combinations for work and casual. Leather? Synethetic? Whats been working
I use Great Laces, which I find on Amazon... many colors, and some with Kevlar... price is not bad for 2 pair either and they last a long time... when they get dirty, just throw them in the washing machine. Every leather lace I ever used has broken (and usually at an inopportune time...)

I have no complaints with these... just search "Kevlar Laces" or "Great Laces"... I am especially fond of the orange on a black boot!

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These Wolverine flat waxed laces are pretty nice. 54" works just right for a 6" boot.

geremy

Reaction score
I use many variations of the laces at Guarded Goods. Particularly like the thick round waxed for my SDs.

But here's a question I have had for a while: I thought at one point in time you could order White's boots belts? I sure would like a belt made of dress brown leather!

iamntbatman

Reaction score
I use the standard White's rawhide laces, the waxed flat laces (I can't remember if these came with my BHs or MPs, but I use them on my MPs), Guarded Goods rawhide ones (at least I think that's where these originally came from...) and some colored rawhide ones I got on Etsy. The latter look neat, but do bleed color, and are so thick that they're cumbersome to get under the speedhooks.

redbaron1980

Reaction score
Just got confirmation that my bounty hunters just shipped and I'm pretty excited. 1 month and 3 days, which is less than I was quoted. I also got it with a combo width, D in the toebox and C in the heel. I've got a plan for maybe one more boot after I see how these feel. Probably another BH in horse. If the combo width is worth it, I'll be going that route

• Last: Semi Dress (Bounty Hunter)
  • Counter Leather: Black Chrome Excel by Horween
  • Toe Vamp Leather: Black Chrome Excel by Horween
  • Upper (Shaft) Leather: Black Chrome Excel by Horween
  • Leather Liner: Cream
  • Lace Design: Plain Toe
  • Pull Loops: No Thanks
  • Celastic Toe Box: No Thanks
  • Toe Cap: No Thanks
  • Toe Cap Leather Color: Does Not Apply - NO Toe Cap
  • Steel Toe: No Thanks
  • Hardware: Antique Eyes & Hooks
  • Height: 6"
  • Top: Cut Top (standard)
  • Midsole: Single
  • Edge: Black
  • Heel Base: 90 Degree Blocked off Heel (Traveler)
  • Heel Lifts: 1/4" Lower
  • Sole: Vibram 430 Mini Vib
  • Size - Length: 7
  • Size - Width: C
  • Logos / Embossing: No logos or embossing

Netvine

Reaction score
I use many variations of the laces at Guarded Goods. Particularly like the thick round waxed for my SDs.

But here's a question I have had for a while: I thought at one point in time you could order White's boots belts? I sure would like a belt made of dress brown leather!

I think you can get something like that through Baker’s Build a Belt

Sledge42

Reaction score
Boy you do not do anything half way do you? I am glad to hear they work for you!
Did you go with the XL? How do they fit?
One other point, when you wash them, make sure they are turned inside out...

@Legal Eagles No sir. I am an "All In" type of guy! Go hard.. then go home!
I ended up going with the Large. They fit right. I thought- if for some reason they don't I can exchange them, but the Large fits great.
And indeed.. inside out for certain. They even put it on the package!
Really do appreciate your insight on it. Great to talk with people with experience on them before buying!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads