• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Netvine ... thanks for the picture... are you sure that the boot is not lined, albeit with light black glove leather? I know White's uses tan, canyon, cream, and black liners... on my black boots like yours the liner is black. It is harder to see because of the lack of contrast.

I highlighted in red an area that seems to show the toe is a separate piece of thinner black leather. If you tell me they are not lined however, I believe you. @sambam what percentage of White's is unlined like Netvine's? Particular models perhaps?

17D5B8E5-3AB1-403B-961A-A24F52B18981.jpeg

Netvine

Reaction score
@Netvine ... thanks for the picture... are you sure that the boot is not lined, albeit with light black glove leather? I know White's uses tan, canyon, cream, and black liners... on my black boots like yours the liner is black. It is harder to see because of the lack of contrast.

I highlighted in red an area that seems to show the toe is a separate piece of thinner black leather. If you tell me they are not lined however, I believe you. @sambam what percentage of White's is unlined like Netvine's? Particular models perhaps?

View attachment 1336575
I do think i see what you mean. Here is a better picture of that area. It is of the liner LegalEagles pointed out along the arch of an unlined smooth boot. It is the second picture. This can be a challenge on an iphone I apologize for errors. There are what look to me like internal liners that reinforce where the mid-foot area is around the arch and outside of the foot. They extend below the visible footbed as far as i can tell. They also end where the small toe begins on the outside and where the arch ends on the inside.
It definetly does not extend into the toe area of the vamp and the entire top of the vamp to the tongue is unlined.

The heel counter is the same piece of leather as the shaft. No liner. It might be fair to say that even an unlined smooth boot has something like a liner on the sides of the midfoot that may or may not be a functional part of the arch-ease? The vamp is definetly unlined as far as i can tell. It is simply one piece of the oil tan smooth leather. Its just the rough side in.

The lower picture is 55 brown smooth BH unlined
The top one is a 4811 black dress unlined. The lining of the vamp on the black dress is obvious to the touch and is uniform from the midfoot through to the end of the toe box the heel is unlined.

D691B842-9FE3-441F-A630-543A736A4EDF.jpeg
A64A37C3-A4A8-431C-B9A4-FA4BF5A7E0D1.jpeg

Sledge42

Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I expect that both of you will go through what many of us here have. Namely, beginning by thinking “ wow that’s a lot of money for a pair of boots,” but eventually raising the bar. And once you’ve decided it’s okay to spend, say, $479 for a pair of more or less standard SDs, it isn’t much to decide that $529 (or whatever it is) is worth it for the HH... it’s a slippery slope...
@linafelt:
I'm already 3 pair in. I'm doomed! Only gave up the HH on the last build because the Olive Waxed BH's gnawed at me to send in that build and payment!
HH may be next, but a 6" Pair in some type of Black leather is probably going to get me first, as I just sold off the two pair of black dress boots from another maker so I could make room for another pair or two of White's.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@linafelt:
I'm already 3 pair in. I'm doomed! Only gave up the HH on the last build because the Olive Waxed BH's gnawed at me to send in that build and payment!
HH may be next, but a 6" Pair in some type of Black leather is probably going to get me first, as I just sold off the two pair of black dress boots from another maker so I could make room for another pair or two of White's.
Sounds like black HH is in your future!

Rolanberry

Reaction score

View attachment 1336575
I believe on White's NFPA Smokejumpers, the standard boot comes with an unlined vamp, as shown in the photo above. The smooth black leather on the sides is additional leather stitched on for welting on an unlined vamp boot.

When a fully lined vamp boot is being hand-welted, the lining gets stitched onto a channel on the insole, while the vamp gets turned out with the welt on top of the vamp.

So I would guess the leather pieces there on an unlined vamp boot can be considered "the lining" and get sewn to the channel on the insole, and are there to make certain there are no air gaps or spots for water to leak in easily between the insole and the midsole where the welt ends.

Last edited:

iamntbatman

Reaction score
if you arent outside ive heard the 700’s last a very long time. The Quabaug heels are very slip resistant.

Does anyone know how slip resistant the honey vibrams are? Oil resist etc.

the regular black 100’s are notoriously prone to slip on concrete, ice etc iirc.

Bearing in mind I don't own any 100 soles, and am going off memory, but I believe there are two different versions of the 100 sole, one being the 100F sole for firefighters and the other being the standard 100. I also recollect that it's the 100F sole that gets rock hard in cold weather and slips more on smooth surfaces. I'm sure others here (or obviously White's or Baker's) would clarify.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads