• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ice Bear

Reaction score
I don't think those would ever delaminate. Do you think the screws back out?

The screws are in addition to glue and stitching. The shoe is designed for people working on uneven surfaces in the woods. Picking parts off the ground should not be an issue. :)

That said. The soles of your Red Wings and Chips are held on by both glue and stitching. Have both the glue and the stitching separated? The glue can be reapplied using barge cement/Shoo Goo by you or a cobbler. The sole can be restitched or replaced by a cobbler for less than the cost of new boots. In any event the life or your shoes will be extended if you don't wear the same pair daily.

Leveskie

Reaction score
The screws are in addition to glue and stitching. The shoe is designed for people working on uneven surfaces in the woods. Picking parts off the ground should not be an issue. :)

That said. The soles of your Red Wings and Chips are held on by both glue and stitching. Have both the glue and the stitching separated? The glue can be reapplied using barge cement/Shoo Goo by you or a cobbler. The sole can be restitched or replaced by a cobbler for less than the cost of new boots. In any event the life or your shoes will be extended if you don't wear the same pair daily.
1581616603039.png

The chippewa super logger is what I normally wear and they did away with the toe stitch that went through the sole. Does a peet boot dryer work well enough to wear the same pair day after day?

paulraphael

Reaction score
View attachment 1336408
The chippewa super logger is what I normally wear and they did away with the toe stitch that went through the sole. Does a peet boot dryer work well enough to wear the same pair day after day?

That's the same sole that's on my La Sportiva ice climbing boots. I like it much better than the traditional vibram sole. It's designed to shed snow / mud / pebbles, while the standard one hangs on to everything. It also has that solid toe platform for rock climbing. Kind of funny to see it around town or in a warehouse ... mine have hardly even been used without crampons.

To your question, I think even with drying, a shoe's lifespan will be shortened by daily wear. I believe there's more to the leather's recovery than just drying out. But even if you decide to wear them every day, you might as well get them resoled when they delaminate. Maybe discuss the problem with your cobbler and see if there's anything that make the sole attachment stronger.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
Called White’s & spoke to the repairs team. Sounds like combo last is still a ways out in that world. I was hoping to have my F/R’s rebuilt on it & have the steel toe removed.
The good news is they can remove the steel toe & take them down a width on a rebuild. .. just have to decide what leather to do the lowers in. Probably just keep it Brown Smooth but I’ve always liked the rugged look of Smooth over Rough.

Netvine

Reaction score
I am a NAPA sales associate so about 80% of the time I am inside. I was just thinking a 100 sole would offer much more wear than a vibram 430. I was also thinking of a honey vibram 100 sole to impact less. I go through sneaker soles in about 2 months with how much I walk. Chippewas soles delaminate at about half life of the sole. If they didn't delaminate I would guess the vibram logger would last me 4 years.

if you arent outside ive heard the 700’s last a very long time. The Quabaug heels are very slip resistant.

Does anyone know how slip resistant the honey vibrams are? Oil resist etc.

the regular black 100’s are notoriously prone to slip on concrete, ice etc iirc.

Leveskie

Reaction score
Called White’s & spoke to the repairs team. Sounds like combo last is still a ways out in that world. I was hoping to have my F/R’s rebuilt on it & have the steel toe removed.
The good news is they can remove the steel toe & take them down a width on a rebuild. .. just have to decide what leather to do the lowers in. Probably just keep it Brown Smooth but I’ve always liked the rugged look of Smooth over Rough.
you should do a rough out black lower. I think the contrast with the brown smooth upper would be nice.
That's the same sole that's on my La Sportiva ice climbing boots. I like it much better than the traditional vibram sole. It's designed to shed snow / mud / pebbles, while the standard one hangs on to everything. It also has that solid toe platform for rock climbing. Kind of funny to see it around town or in a warehouse ... mine have hardly even been used without crampons.

To your question, I think even with drying, a shoe's lifespan will be shortened by daily wear. I believe there's more to the leather's recovery than just drying out. But even if you decide to wear them every day, you might as well get them resoled when they delaminate. Maybe discuss the problem with your cobbler and see if there's anything that make the sole attachment stronger.
The sole is awesome, just the glue they use is worse than elmers. I've never thought to bring them to a local cobbler to see what they could do.

andy b.

Reaction score
So this is an interesting point, regarding lining. Every pair of Whites I own has a layer of smooth leather in the toe area in addition to the outer leather. I just received my Distressed RO SJs a week ago, and noticed there does not appear to be that extra lining. These are also the only pair of Whites I have without a celastic toe. Is it possible that due to the RO leather already having a smooth side facing inside the boot, and no celastic cap to cover, that there is no extra layer in the toe?

I'm very interested in exploring your thoughts on these two points. As a hot-footed soul I am always trying to avoid swamp foot, which has a tendency to affect me when the temperature is above 40F even if I'm just wandering around town. I was under the impression that all White's boots, regardless of the leather, are lined in the toe and vamp and the optional lining is in the shaft only, which surely would make the thick oil-tanned leathers potentially the hottest overall for most of one's foot. Is my assumption correct, or do some leathers result in different (or no) toe/vamp linings?

andy b.

Reaction score
That won't happen with Whites. I do a lot of that kind of work on some projects I'm on, and I have never had a Whites sole delaminate. If you're overly concerned, get Smokejumpers, the soles are stitched on and screwed on. LOL

The only thing I can think of for why they delaminate so fast is from picking parts up off the ground all day. The boots are constantly over bending compared to normal walking. The leather stays pristine just the front half of the sole doesn't stay attached.

Woodtroll

Reaction score
So this is an interesting point, regarding lining. Every pair of Whites I own has a layer of smooth leather in the toe area in addition to the outer leather. I just received my Distressed RO SJs a week ago, and noticed there does not appear to be that extra lining. These are also the only pair of Whites I have without a celastic toe. Is it possible that due to the RO leather already having a smooth side facing inside the boot, and no celastic cap to cover, that there is no extra layer in the toe?

I will say that the only pairs of Whites boots I have that have a lined vamp are one pair with steel toes, one pair with celastic toes, and one insulated pair of packers. All of my other pairs are unlined, as far as I can tell. All are of oil-tanned leather, but I don't know if that is the reason they are unlined or not. Lined oil-tan would indeed be thick and heavy, and probably "sweaty".

Even with the oil-tan leather, I can tell a breathability difference between the work boots that I oil/grease heavily, and the more casual boots that I use dressing on less often. Stopping up the pores to improve water resistance works, but it also hinders the breathability (if that's a real word!) of the boot. A looser fit, lower top, and thick wool socks all do help to "pump" air though the boot as you walk, which of course cuts down on the sweat.

Leveskie

Reaction score
That won't happen with Whites. I do a lot of that kind of work on some projects I'm on, and I have never had a Whites sole delaminate. If you're overly concerned, get Smokejumpers, the soles are stitched on and screwed on. LOL
I think even just the whites stitched and glued on soles wont come off compared to what I'm used to. Thank you for your input :)

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, interesting indeed. I had always heard, including directly from White's if I am not mistaken, that every boot came with the toebox and vamp lined, and that unlined meant only the shaft. But sounds like you irrefutable evidence to the contrary! The plot thickens...

discomute

Reaction score
Hmm, interesting indeed. I had always heard, including directly from White's if I am not mistaken, that every boot came with the toebox and vamp lined, and that unlined meant only the shaft.

I have heard that from Kyle too...

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, interesting indeed. I had always heard, including directly from White's if I am not mistaken, that every boot came with the toebox and vamp lined, and that unlined meant only the shaft. But sounds like you irrefutable evidence to the contrary! The plot thickens...
I too believed all White's had the toebox and vamp lined.

Can someone without a lined boot post a picture of the unlined toe... where the thin tan lining is would be missing in such an example. Not saying I do not believe you guys, only that I have never seen it and would like to confirm for myself.

1581627632662.png

Netvine

Reaction score
I too believed all White's had the toebox and vamp lined.

Can someone without a lined boot post a picture of the unlined toe... where the thin tan lining is would be missing in such an example. Not saying I do not believe you guys, only that I have never seen it and would like to confirm for myself.

View attachment 1336522
17D5B8E5-3AB1-403B-961A-A24F52B18981.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics