• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I say how much I enjoy these write ups and fine them useful.

How do you find the soft toe v cellastic toe. If you had your time again in this regard would do things identically?
You can tell the difference, but honestly, minimally. Both are very comfortable and I wouldn't hesitate to get more White's in either soft or hard toe.

My decision was made one 1) do you want the toe to have a lower profile (yes = soft toe, no = celestic) and 2) are you getting a textured leather (yes = celestic, no = soft toe). I didn't factor in comfort. I think textured leathers, such as the bison, look better when they hold their structure - they already have so much going on, why muddle it up with a collapsing toe.... While smooth/roughtout leathers can go either way and look great. Entirely my opinion though. Lower profile is fact though - soft toes will be more sleek looking.

Mortgasm

Reaction score
I can not find a picture of a semi-dress with a Vibram 100 lug sole. Any one have one or know of one they can link?

I did search quite a bit. Thx

TH3515

Reaction score
I can not find a picture of a semi-dress with a Vibram 100 lug sole. Any one have one or know of one they can link?

^ Here's one from Hong Kong retailer Ultrasound:

2421.jpg

It's from their website – lots of inspiration for crazy builds there...

Mortgasm

Reaction score
^ Here's one from Hong Kong retailer Ultrasound:

View attachment 1328285

It's from their website – lots of inspiration for crazy builds there...

Nice. Thank you. I'm considering a semi dress in black horse hide with some lug.

I know there are some HH fans here. I am in love with my brown SDs. Anyone have black? Is the leather as nice? In particular, the brown has this glow. Did the black do the same?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. Thank you. I'm considering a semi dress in black horse hide with some lug.

I know there are some HH fans here. I am in love with my brown SDs. Anyone have black? Is the leather as nice? In particular, the brown has this glow. Did the black do the same?
I have the black... it does have the same glow... the leather looks very much like FC, but behaves like HH...
The yellow laces are black Horse...

This is what they looked like new...

motojobobo

Reaction score
My 4 year old Farmer Ranchers, 4811 last, on distressed smooth.
Very tough leather, easy to care for and quick to break in. I will usually only brush dust off when the corral is dry and need to wipe them off with damp cloth when it is muddy. I probably condition them every 8 months and mostly use Lexol conditioner. They darkened up and I did like their initial light tan more than their actual mid brown shade.
For my next Whites I’d like to try a Packer last for even more arch support. Not sure what the arch support difference is between a 690 and a 695 last.
FCFAEA67-D9DB-49D2-BC30-C58768C67DCA.jpeg

Woodtroll

Reaction score
My 4 year old Farmer Ranchers, 4811 last, on distressed smooth.
Very tough leather, easy to care for and quick to break in. I will usually only brush dust off when the corral is dry and need to wipe them off with damp cloth when it is muddy. I probably condition them every 8 months and mostly use Lexol conditioner. They darkened up and I did like their initial light tan more than their actual mid brown shade.
For my next Whites I’d like to try a Packer last for even more arch support. Not sure what the arch support difference is between a 690 and a 695 last. View attachment 1328567

And THAT is what a pair of work boots looks like in their natural environment! ;) Looks like even the cattle approve (or maybe they're just waiting on the grain bucket...).

If you like the arch and the taller heel, you'll like the 690. The heel on the 690 is just a little bit narrower at the footprint/sole because of the straight taper (vs. the concave curve of the Smokejumper and Farmer/Rancher boots), but no worse than any of the pull-on western boots I've owned in years past. I only own one pair of the 695s, for "dress" boots as I usually don't prefer the pointed toes, but I personally really can't tell any difference in the arch of the 690 vs. 695. If I had to pick one boot I prefer for daily wear, it would be the 690 because it just feels and "walks" better to me. For hard work though, like picking up hay or cutting firewood all day, the slightly lower and wider (more stable) heel of the 4811 is tough to beat.

Thanks for sharing your photo!

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@motojobobo @Phalanx I had some time this morning, so I dug out my boots and took pictures of only the ones from the PNW (sorry Alden)...
19D2AE84-873E-4704-8D4D-70510AC25153.jpeg
101B0C5B-954A-4A56-AEC1-968C7206B762.jpeg
7B74C906-92DB-4C4D-A557-42DE0D190AC7.jpeg
34560218-D763-4B71-8768-AABDA99015CB.jpeg

Front Row (L to R) Classic Brown/British Tan/Toffee DressSD; Black HH SD (red laces); Burgundy HH SD; Brown HH SD; Brown Dress SD

Back Row (L to R) Wesco JH Classic Oxford Brown Domain; Brown Dress SD (my first pair); Wesco Redwood (like Red Dog?) Jobmaster LTT 5"; Wesco Jobmaster LTT Black Domain (orange laces); Black Dress SD (yellow laces)(this is the pair with 7 eyelets, so do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done); Black Elk Tan Bounty Hunters; Nick's Manito Oxford Burgundy Domain...

Last edited:

Woodtroll

Reaction score
I had some time this morning, so I dug out my boots and took pictures of only the ones from the PNW (sorry Alden)...
View attachment 1328610 View attachment 1328611 View attachment 1328612 View attachment 1328613 ...

Front Row (L to R) Classic Brown/British Tan/Toffee DressSD; Black HH SD (red laces); Burgundy HH SD; Brown HH SD; Brown Dress SD

Back Row (L to R) Wesco JH Classic Oxford Brown Domain; Brown Dress SD (my first pair); Wesco Redwood (like Red Dog?) Jobmaster LTT 5"; Wesco Jobmaster LTT Black Domain (orange laces); Black Dress SD (yellow laces)(this is the pair with 7 eyelets, so do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done); Black Elk Tan Bounty Hunters; Nick's Manito Oxford Burgundy Domain...

That's a really nice collection, LE. Each is unique, but they are all sharp looking boots!

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a really nice collection, LE. Each is unique, but they are all sharp looking boots!
Thank you... I still like to see photos like yours of work boots actually working... mine are mostly relegated to the office.

I have acquired these over a number of years, and they kind of trace my thinking and knowledge of PNW boots as I figure out what I really like and do not like. Admittedly I had to kiss a few frogs before I started to really learn, and I learn from you folks every day... "open instep"... I'll be darned...

A few conclusions I have come to for myself over the years:

1) I really have no need for anything more than a 6" boot, and actually 5" is plenty.

2) Horsehide is my favorite White's leather... second is brown dress... I could be perfectly happy with those leathers alone, but it is nice to have variety.

3) PNW boots beg for a wide double stitch welt shelf... trying to make the boot sleek or dressy is an exercise in futility... they are what they are, embrace it!

4) If I did not live in a place where it snowed, I would only own leather soles... there is something synergistically perfect about a White's boot with a leather sole... some say anachronism, I say classic.

5) In general, White's knows how to build a boot... if they make some feature or aspect "standard" or "default", be very careful the further you move away from that... it is standard because it works most of the time for most of the population.

6) Always use shoe trees, and never wear the same pair twice in a row... it is amazing how just following this one piece of advice can prolong the life of a boot.

7) I like all my boots lined... just do...

8) Wool socks... Wool Socks... Wool Socks... I cannot say this enough... wool in the winter, wool in the summer, wool all the time... the temperature regulation, wicking, and anti bacterial properties of (good) wool socks are not to be underestimated. I like Darn Tough full or extra cushion, you may prefer a different brand, but good Merino wool socks are a godsend to boot wearers... (Side Note: Darn Tough is to socks what White's is to boots... you may think "Who in their right mind would spend $25 on a pair of socks?" Until you try them and realize with the lifetime warranty, you may never need to buy socks again...")

9) If a boot does not fit right it will never fit right... there is a difference between new boot "tight" and "I got the wrong size, width, last, but will cram my feet in, wear thick/thin socks, or apply rubbing alcohol in hopes they stretch." They won't, they will always be a pain, and you will resent them. Worst case they can actually damage your feet... just don't do it. My father used to say, "Spend money on the things that come between you and the ground (buy quality tires, mattresses, and footwear - an socks... see #8 above)".

10) Do not underestimate how important a good foundation under your feet, with proper arch support can be. Switching to proper boots can not only fix foot problems, but also ankle, leg, back and shoulders... I know it seems like a stretch, but the starting with the right foundation from the ground up can fix or help with a myriad of muscle and skeletal problems...

11) More boots are ruined by over-treating than by under-treating... less is more when it comes to leather treatment products...

12) This is one of the best groups I have had the privileged to be a part of... as I said above, I learn lots, and everyone here is very nice and ready to help.

It took me a long time to learn these... maybe they can help others

Last edited:

Woodtroll

Reaction score
Thank you... I still like to see photos like yours of work boots actually working... mine are mostly relegated to the office.

As the younger generations say, "It's all good!" My boots are indeed mostly all work boots, with a couple of pair that I save for casual and "dress" ("dress" is a relative term here). But I really enjoy seeing what other folks come up with, and really appreciate everyone that takes time to post photos and answer questions here. The more folks that buy these boots, whatever their purpose, helps ensure that White's continues to remain in business and building the boots we all want.

These boots can be an expensive risk for the person buying their first pair, especially as sizing goes, and the information in this thread should help the first-time buyer make a much more informed decision and make disappointment much less likely. Thank you again, everyone, for your contributions!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads