• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jpto

Reaction score
^^ Well, the British tan always seemed pretty non-CXL-like to me I have to say. The samples i had were not as light brown on the untanned side, and it seemed less of a scuff-magnet. So, for anyone looking for a tan but not into CXL it may fit the bill. If a bit darker than "tan," as others have observed..

I'm going to bet that British tan is actually a Horween Cavalier CXL. Cavalier CXL is less oily, has less pullup and I believe has a more durable finish

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question for the group...

Should the stated size (in my case 12D) on a pair of Packers fit about the same as 4818 Smokejumper or 55 Semi-dress boots in the same size?

My new packers feel considerably smaller and much, much narrower. It's to the point where I was wondering if they were miss-marked. I have two pairs of White's built on the 4818 last and two pairs on the 55 last. This is my first pair built on the 690 last, so I thought I'd ask. I have somewhat narrow feet. My Brit-Tan Smokejumpers above are 12C. My Semi-dress are 12D but I should have gone narrower as the eyelets are very close when laced.

I'm really trying to break these in, but I don't know if I'm going to be able to do it. The tightness is mid-foot, about halfway between the ball and ankle. I feel like I'm wearing a very strong rubber band around my foot about where the arch is. How tight or loose I lace the boots seems to have little effect on this.

If I had to take a completely uneducated guess as to the size of these boots, judged only by feel, I would say that they are size 11.5 A. They're marked 12D.

When I first started wearing them, it was painful after about an hour. Now I can wear them for about 6 hours. I have treated them with Obenauf's and that had softened them a little. When I put smokejumpers on afterwards they feel loose by comparison.

Thoughts?

Well, I’ve never tried on a pair of packers, but they sure do look more narrow than SDs...

discomute

Reaction score
My sole edges are beginning to look like this:

What can I do about it? I've watched the hanger project about sanding and redying, but is that what is happening here? Because they're only 2 months old. I've got black saphir creme (and renovataur) if that helps?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question for the group...

Should the stated size (in my case 12D) on a pair of Packers fit about the same as 4818 Smokejumper or 55 Semi-dress boots in the same size?

My new packers feel considerably smaller and much, much narrower.
Your experience mirrors mine, the 690 and 695 lasts are much differently shaped and much narrower than the 55 or 4811. I too once bought a pair of packers in the same size as I took in the 55, and they were much too narrow, in the instep, and mostly the toes...

The packer lasts simply do not work for my foot shape... I would have to go so wide that my heel would slide everywhere. The packer in the same width as the 55 made me feel like I was stuffing my toes into a tiny box and cutting off circulation to my feet... your rubber band comment is about spot on...

They are like totally different boots which require totally different sizing...

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1323325

What can I do about it? I've watched the hanger project about sanding and redying, but is that what is happening here? Because they're only 2 months old. I've got black saphir creme (and renovataur) if that helps?
What you are seeing is normal edge wear... no need to go nuclear with sanding and re-dying...

Use edge dressing for color, and Acrylic Resolene to restore a little shine... or just use Black Acrylic Resolene for both... apply with a wet cotton ball, smooth light strokes... an added benefit of the resolene is that it seals the leather layers against intrusion by water... you can use it all around the edge and on the heels to restore a factory look.

Now, if you want eye popping glossy edges (like you would see on Army parade boots), check this out:

But be sure you are wearing sunglasses!

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1323325

Go buy yourself some fiebings edge coat, super simple fix

miggyramone

Reaction score
I wasn't the one that asked but thanks for answering that gueestion guys. I always assumed I had to sand down every nick or slightly rough patch.

discomute

Reaction score
Thanks guys - man we get reamed on the price of stuff like that in Australia. Do the applicators come with? Otherwise I'll try to source something locally. (Also, do they have a specific name)

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
Don’t discount sanding. They don’t make a solution that will do what a sandpaper does.
Whenever I sand my edges & refinish the results are far superior to applying product only (if warranted of course).
You’re not gonna restore the factory/new look w/o a little sanding. Based on your pic, it won’t take much effort.

*my profile pic is freshly sanded & refinished edges

nwlifer

Reaction score
While we're on the topic of edge dressing, anyone found a good one for somewhere in between a natural and brown edge tone?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While we're on the topic of edge dressing, anyone found a good one for somewhere in between a natural and brown edge tone?
Dilute the brown until you reach the desired shade... try 1:1 for starters.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t discount sanding.
I agree with sanding when the edge becomes very worn or nicked, but for normal touch-ups or a"refresh", there is no need to go to all that trouble... edge dressing or resolene for minor stuff works a treat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads