• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boy in the pics here the Wolverine 1K boots consistently come off worse, while the Aldens look pretty good all around, and the Vibergs mixed. Limited pool of course, but would make me wary of the 1Ks..
What makes me wary is the fact that Horween considers all the footwear in the pictures to be "good" or "acceptable"... I don't know about that... some are pretty rough looking...

Turns31

Reaction score
So I was working from home today and thought that would be a great opportunity to slowly keep breaking in the boots. When I wore them yesterday the right boot felt tighter than the left throughout the day right where the vamp meets the lace up panels (don't know what they're called). I kept trying to loosen the laces and even took them off at lunch time because my toes were starting to tingle a bit. The left was tight as all new boots are but the right was borderline painful.

This morning I put on a fresh pair of my boot socks and slipped the boots on. Again, noticeably tighter on the right than the left. Double-checked the sizes of both, 9E. Double-checked my measurement sheet and my right foot is actually about 1/8" slimmer at both the ball and instep than my left.

I decided to measure the boots themselves to see if I was crazy. I tucked the tape at 0" right where the vamp meets the welt and ran it over the vamp at the widest part of the boot to the other side where the vamp meets the welt. The left is actually .25" wider. I measured twice just to make sure and it was correct. Not sure how "rebuildable" Main Streets are but what would you guys recommend? Fully aware that CXL is a soft and stretchy leather as well but having that big of a width discrepancy worries me.

Attachments

• IMG_20200122_143256.jpg
    IMG_20200122_143256.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20200122_143059.jpg
    IMG_20200122_143059.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 117

discomute

Reaction score
What makes me wary is the fact that Horween considers all the footwear in the pictures to be "good" or "acceptable"... I don't know about that... some are pretty rough looking...

Exactly my thought. The article itself made sense. Then they say these two are acceptable...

Turns31

Reaction score
Exactly my thought. The article itself made sense. Then they say these two are acceptable... View attachment 1322522 View attachment 1322523
I'd be returning those in a heartbeat. I bought a pair of 1000 Miles a couple years back and had one look like the brown boot. This isn't a "handmade boots have minor inconsistencies" issue. This is a "we cut these from the belly of the cheapest CXL hide could buy" issue.

Woodtroll

Reaction score
So I was working from home today and thought that would be a great opportunity to slowly keep breaking in the boots. When I wore them yesterday the right boot felt tighter than the left throughout the day right where the vamp meets the lace up panels (don't know what they're called). I kept trying to loosen the laces and even took them off at lunch time because my toes were starting to tingle a bit. The left was tight as all new boots are but the right was borderline painful.

This morning I put on a fresh pair of my boot socks and slipped the boots on. Again, noticeably tighter on the right than the left. Double-checked the sizes of both, 9E. Double-checked my measurement sheet and my right foot is actually about 1/8" slimmer at both the ball and instep than my left.

I decided to measure the boots themselves to see if I was crazy. I tucked the tape at 0" right where the vamp meets the welt and ran it over the vamp at the widest part of the boot to the other side where the vamp meets the welt. The left is actually .25" wider. I measured twice just to make sure and it was correct. Not sure how "rebuildable" Main Streets are but what would you guys recommend? Fully aware that CXL is a soft and stretchy leather as well but having that big of a width discrepancy worries me.

You have to start out slow breaking in any kind of real leather boot. Once your foot has hot spots or is irritated, swapping socks and putting the boots back on will only aggravate any existing irritation. Better to quit for the day once it becomes painful.

As far as the measurements - your right foot is 1/8" smaller, noted on your sheet, so they probably allowed a little slack for the left foot. The left boot is 1/4" "wider" across the curve. I'd say that 1/8" net discrepancy from boot to boot is pretty tolerable for a handmade boot.

I think if you give these boots a little time, and follow the standard progressive-time-wear recommendations, they will eventually form closer to your foot and become very comfortable.

Good luck!

Woodtroll

Reaction score
And I should have added, they are sharp boots, by the way! I really do like the look of that leather and hope they work out well for you.

Rolanberry

Reaction score
Given how dark their dress brown is to smooth brown, it'd be interesting to see what a dress tan would look like.

I'd almost certainly buy it straight away though. I'm dying for it...

I think there might be a toffee dress.

Turns31

Reaction score

That toffee is beautiful.

discomute

Reaction score

Email to Kyle sent! I was 10 seconds off pulling the trigger on some Brown Smooth, for reasons so long no one here will care (and I will probably post at a later date) this may require me to have a complete rethink

geremy

Reaction score
I don’t believe that anyone uses or clicks CXL better than Whites. Certainly not Alden (as someone mentioned) who are somewhat notorious for bad break on CXL indies. Lofgren might be as good as White’s but certainly not better.

If you buy a CXL boot you have a high percentage chance of having it break like that. If you don’t like that, buy a different leather. It’s that simple. Luckily you can have White’s make you whatever you desire!

Last edited:

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, does anyone have Burgundy Shell boots from White's? I'm considering getting some made, but I have some #8 shell from Alden and 90% of the time they look almost black. I know the Aldens will lighten over time when exposed to light but I don't want another pair that will look almost black for years. Knowing different manufacturers have custom processes for finishing leather I'm curious if White's is as dark. Any help would be appreciated?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Toffee dress comes up here as a topic about every two years... as I recall, the scoop is this:

1) Toffee dress is not a standard leather (note the incongruity with #3 below);

2) When available it was a special order for White's Hong Kong dealer Ultrasound;

3) At some point Ultrasound purportedly said Toffee Dress was simply an a/k/a for British Tan (note the incongruity with #1 above) which set off much weeping and gnashing of teeth, but as far as I know we never got a firm answer on that.

It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma...

I would be very interested to hear what Kyle has to say...

By the way, White's used to offer a Tan French Calf which made for a beautiful dressier boot... last time I tried to order I was told it was out of stock with no estimate as to when or if it might return.

Note all of the above is hearsay, but I hope it helps a little.

Last edited:

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd do horrible, dreadful things for burgundy dress.
Me too...

White's used to offer burgundy french calf... it was beautiful... then they discontinued it... much to my chagrin, and leaving me with only burgundy CXL as an option. Now a burgundy tannage with the same wear characteristics as brown dress at a non premium price? Sign me up!

Now you understand why I was so happy when Kyle offered burgundy horse...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads