• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nwlifer

Reaction score
They're here! Took about 7 weeks but they're worth the wait. The very first thing I did was put on my boot socks and check the fit. It was spot on. As tight as a new cxl boot should be. Fit and finish seams great outta the box. Nice and tight vamp creasing as well. I took pics besides my Blacksmiths and Grant Stones for a comparison. Super early but I do recommend these to anyone looking for a boot that looks just as good with chinos as they do with jeans. Planning on ordering my 2nd pair later this week.
That leather really looks great. British tan?

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're here! Took about 7 weeks but they're worth the wait. The very first thing I did was put on my boot socks and check the fit. It was spot on. As tight as a new cxl boot should be. Fit and finish seams great outta the box. Nice and tight vamp creasing as well. I took pics besides my Blacksmiths and Grant Stones for a comparison. Super early but I do recommend these to anyone looking for a boot that looks just as good with chinos as they do with jeans. Planning on ordering my 2nd pair later this week.

Nice choice getting White's. The leather is amazing! If it were me I would consider breaking them in for a few weeks before placing a second order, just from personal experience with such things. Over time you can better formulate what you'll like in another pair, whether it be sizing adjustments, a different style heel, etc.

miggyramone

Reaction score
Religious use of properly fitting shoe trees - along with resting the boot - can help minimize toe curl.
Do you notice it more on your 38 Swing boots more than your 55 boots? I never noticed it before.

Do you use shoe trees? They generally help reduce toe spring when used regularly.

Yup, I do. They aren't too tight but not loose either. They just kind slip in and out.

discomute

Reaction score
Righteo, very much a newb question I believe, I think I've under the wrong assumption for a long time.

Is this
a) leather, or
b) wood?

MisplacedCHEE

Reaction score
Here's a better shot, lining up the heels shows how the size difference much better, with a better shot of the crooked lasting on the left. I completely agree that some mismatching is bound to happen but I would think this is beyond that. Any other input is welcomed!

20200121_063203.jpg 20200121_064835.jpg

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you notice it more on your 38 Swing boots more than your 55 boots? I never noticed it before.
If you look at the lasts in profile, I think the 38 (and 461 for that matter) have a more "sprung" toe than the 55 from the outset.

I have not noticed the curling getting worse on the 38 compared to the 55.

But then again I keep tight fitting shoe trees - with good spring tension - in all my boots anytime they are not on my feet.

I think the curl comes from repeatedly drying the boots when wet (including wet from perspiration) without a shoe tree or other mold to hold the shape. Just like leather curls when it dries, so does the boot without something to hold it flat. Over time and repeated drying you can get the toe curl you sometimes see... however some like that look and deliberately try to cultivate it.

Last edited:

nwlifer

Reaction score
Here's a better shot, lining up the heels shows how the size difference much better, with a better shot of the crooked lasting on the left. I completely agree that some mismatching is bound to happen but I would think this is beyond that. Any other input is welcomed!

View attachment 1321521 View attachment 1321524
They do appear to be different lengths. That's too bad. Mistakes can happen, have you contacted whites and given them a chance to make it right?

MisplacedCHEE

Reaction score
They do appear to be different lengths. That's too bad. Mistakes can happen, have you contacted whites and given them a chance to make it right?

Not yet, I wanted to gather some other opinions before contacting them. I have no doubt White's will make it right as I've had nothing but good experiences with them so far.

discomute

Reaction score

Yup, I only just worked this, I'm an idiot

What I don't understand is why soles either:
- run all the way through, interrupting the heel stack, or
- stop before the arch

Why wouldn't (and do any soles) run from the toe to the heel, then again onto the heel. Thus covering the entire bottom of the foot without interrupting the heel stack?

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, I only just worked this, I'm an idiot

What I don't understand is why soles either:
- run all the way through, interrupting the heel stack, or
- stop before the arch

Why wouldn't (and do any soles) run from the toe to the heel, then again onto the heel. Thus covering the entire bottom of the foot without interrupting the heel stack?

My (amateur) sense of boot/shoe history is that the first rubber to be added to otherwise all leather boot bottom was a rubber heel, so that you had a leather sole and a rubber heel. Then rubber was added to the front of the sole (as in your pic). Then eventually full rubber soles. Now it's just a question of aesthetics -- some of us like the half sole as seeming a bit more old fashioned. It's slightly less functional of course, leaving that leather gap which is bit more slippery on your motorcycle foot pegs, ladder rungs, etc; but we all make our practical sacrifices in the service of style at some point...

Those who know more of the history may well correct that part above.

Last edited:

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now it's just a question of aesthetics -- some of us like the half sole as seeming a bit more old fashioned.
Bingo! I prefer the uninterrupted heel stack... if I want an uninterrupted heel stack and protection on the ball of the foot from wet and rain and traction... I have to go with the half sole, or a toppy... as @linafelt said, the half sole just looks old school classic...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads