• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

discomute

Reaction score
So here is what I am thinking:

Baker's Custom Bounty Hunter by White's Boots
  • Last: Semi Dress (Bounty Hunter)
  • Counter Leather: Brown Smooth
  • Toe Vamp Leather: Black Smooth
  • Upper (Shaft) Leather: Brown Smooth
  • Leather Liner: No Thanks
  • Lace Design: Plain Toe
  • Pull Loops: Leather Pull Loops
  • Celastic Toe Box: No Thanks
  • Toe Cap: Leather Toe Cap (only available on plain toe style)
  • Toe Cap Leather Color: Black Smooth
  • Steel Toe: No Thanks
  • Hardware: Brass Eyes & Hooks
  • Height: 6"
  • Top: Cut Top (standard)
  • Midsole: Single
  • Edge: Brown
  • Heel Base: 90 Degree Blocked off Heel (Traveler) (uhh which was the normal one again?)
  • Heel Lifts: Standard
  • Sole: Vibram 430 Mini Vib
  • Size - Length: 10
  • Size - Width: C
  • Logos / Embossing: No logos or embossing
  • Pay Bakers for Brown or Black sole thread

I have a single pair of Black Main Streets
I am possibly moving to the tropics in the next 2-3 years but how warm is unknown
So I am thinking of this boot right which I can wear as a "casual, neat" shoe around the place
Between the plain brown and black I will be able to cover any set of pants

If I end up somewhere "very warm" like Darwin where shoes are rarely worn, these will become camping boots. (Good footwear very handy when them legless lizards are around) and probably not worn a great deal. Anywhere else they will become a "dry season boot" probably only getting use for 3-4 months a year.

And if I end up somewhere where they get regular use I will probably set a semi-dress in brown dress, with the cuban heel, white thread, natural edging etc. But that would be years down the track.

Anyone with thoughts or comments - I am basically thinking this stuff out aloud.

geremy

Reaction score
I also really enjoyed the interview. I also found it pretty informative. White's have definitely ruined other shoes for me. The hard part is deciding which White's to wear?!?

Phalanx

Reaction score
So here is what I am thinking:

Baker's Custom Bounty Hunter by White's Boots
  • Last: Semi Dress (Bounty Hunter)
  • Counter Leather: Brown Smooth
  • Toe Vamp Leather: Black Smooth
  • Upper (Shaft) Leather: Brown Smooth
  • Leather Liner: No Thanks
  • Lace Design: Plain Toe
  • Pull Loops: Leather Pull Loops
  • Celastic Toe Box: No Thanks
  • Toe Cap: Leather Toe Cap (only available on plain toe style)
  • Toe Cap Leather Color: Black Smooth
  • Steel Toe: No Thanks
  • Hardware: Brass Eyes & Hooks
  • Height: 6"
  • Top: Cut Top (standard)
  • Midsole: Single
  • Edge: Brown
  • Heel Base: 90 Degree Blocked off Heel (Traveler) (uhh which was the normal one again?)
  • Heel Lifts: Standard
  • Sole: Vibram 430 Mini Vib
  • Size - Length: 10
  • Size - Width: C
  • Logos / Embossing: No logos or embossing
  • Pay Bakers for Brown or Black sole thread

I have a single pair of Black Main Streets
I am possibly moving to the tropics in the next 2-3 years but how warm is unknown
So I am thinking of this boot right which I can wear as a "casual, neat" shoe around the place
Between the plain brown and black I will be able to cover any set of pants

If I end up somewhere "very warm" like Darwin where shoes are rarely worn, these will become camping boots. (Good footwear very handy when them legless lizards are around) and probably not worn a great deal. Anywhere else they will become a "dry season boot" probably only getting use for 3-4 months a year.

And if I end up somewhere where they get regular use I will probably set a semi-dress in brown dress, with the cuban heel, white thread, natural edging etc. But that would be years down the track.

Anyone with thoughts or comments - I am basically thinking this stuff out aloud.

I'm of the opinion that 6" boots with a pull loop is unnecessary; it's just something for your pants to get caught in.

People are free to disagree of course

discomute

Reaction score
Now I think about it you're right

I only ticked that box because I was thinking it might be handy with all eyelets but then I changed my mind on that one for these boots so there is definitely no reason to get it

iamntbatman

Reaction score
That was a great interview. I think the most surprising/interesting bit was how the Japanese market has died down a lot, and the western market has picked up the slack in the lifestyle department, but with the sleeker shoes instead of the chunky workboots as fashion items. I really wish ABC Mart would start stocking White's in their regular stores instead of only Stumptown. ABC Mart is all over the place, and they do carry some Danner models, but it'd sure be sweet to see some stock White's on a shelf in a regular shoe store in Asia.

Phalanx

Reaction score
Is Baker ever going to offer customisation for the Main Street boot?

chicken1616

Reaction score
Nice interview on stitchdown with our very own @sambam. Worth the read.
What a fantastic interview. Probably answers 95% of the questions we have. Really makes me feel that White's is in good hands.

Turns31

Reaction score
What a fantastic interview. Probably answers 95% of the questions we have. Really makes me feel that White's is in good hands.
I like that the man in charge is someone who actually has 1st hand knowledge of the construction process. So many companies are just run by suits that have no idea how anything works.

chicken1616

Reaction score
I like that the man in charge is someone who actually has 1st hand knowledge of the construction process. So many companies are just run by suits that have no idea how anything works.
Yes. Totally agree. This has been a huge shift in corporate America in the last 20-ish years. I know this is oversimplification, but I could make the argument that Boeing's current woes can be traced to that they have finance guys running the show now, whereas it used to be engineers.Don't want to make that on this forum, but an example. I think it is great that White's has all that experience running the show.

Turns31

Reaction score
Yes. Totally agree. This has been a huge shift in corporate America in the last 20-ish years. I know this is oversimplification, but I could make the argument that Boeing's current woes can be traced to that they have finance guys running the show now, whereas it used to be engineers.Don't want to make that on this forum, but an example. I think it is great that White's has all that experience running the show.
Yep, agreed. I know finance personnel are very important (I majored in Economics) but maximizing profits should never be a company's main objective. The main GYW shoe companies I've bought from (Red Wing, Grant Stone and now Whites) have a very hands-on approach that leads to great customer service and repeat customers & referrals. All 3 of these companies have 1st hand experience of their product and excellent communication. The main reason I switched to buying more expensive things in life isn't necessarily for the improved quality but the improved service. I could ask 100 different CS reps at Clarks or Rockport a question about the instep on a pair of shoes and not a single one of them would have any idea what I'm talking about.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[M]aximizing profits should never be a company's main objective.

We may need to agree to disagree on this one...

There can be other objectives of course, and there are many ways to maximize profit... but if your main objective is not to maximize profit, your competitor will... the share price will suffer, and the board will toss you out...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics