• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sambam

Reaction score
Well said:
The open or closed instep is merely one more way to tweak the way the instep fits and the laces come together.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well said:
The open or closed instep is merely one more way to tweak the way the instep fits and the laces come together.
@sambam so for clarity (because you know we obsess over this stuff) and to keep it simple, are you saying that:

Ordering an open instep will move eyelets further apart ("open instep opens the gap") if the eyelets are too close together; and

Ordering a closed instep will bring the eyelets closer together ("closed instep closes the gap") if the eyelets are too far apart.

Thank you for helping us understand...

chicken1616

Reaction score
Has White's ruined other boots for you guys?

I just got a pair of Grant Stone Diesel boots. Fine boots with great finishing. They just don't feel 'right'. I was looking for something a little more versatile for nights out. The fit isn't bad but definitely don't have that White's Hand made feel. I think White's has just spoiled me.
Yes, they have. In the line of work I just started, I have to wear "duty boots". While I appreciate their light weight, the construction is crap. Unfortunately, I can not pursue well in a pair of Smokes! .

Sledge42

Reaction score
Has White's ruined other boots for you guys?

I just got a pair of Grant Stone Diesel boots. Fine boots with great finishing. They just don't feel 'right'. I was looking for something a little more versatile for nights out. The fit isn't bad but definitely don't have that White's Hand made feel. I think White's has just spoiled me.

Yup... recently sold off every pair of Red Wing boots I owned (except a cozy pair of Moc Toe) boots.

They didn't fit the way White's do, they aren't "finished" nearly as well, and now that 4 other guys in the office own a pair of Iron Rangers in Copper RT leather, I was done. No one has a pair of MY designed White's.

I keep trying to convince folks to White's, but selfishly, I should just shut my pie hole!

Last edited:

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still like my Aldens and have some other high end Japanese boots, but from a pure value perspective I don’t think Whites can be beat for a sub $500-ish boot given the MTO options. I’ll happily add more in the future as my collection grows.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
I have several non-White's pairs and basically my conclusion is that anything that's completely outside of the realm of what a White's would be, I appreciate, but for others that are somewhat in the same realm, White's wins hands down. For example, I have some Maine Mountain Moccasin field boots that I really like wearing, but the style, construction, and overall feel of the boots is just vastly different from White's.I also have some Fracap hikers that definitely beat my White's for extended hikes on rough terrain. But then, my other workboots and service boots just don't even come close.

Turns31

Reaction score

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice interview on stitchdown with our very own @sambam. Worth the read.
Absolutely... thanks for the link...

I was surprised at this part:

"We do get some leathers from India, some real thin water buffaloes and calf and stuff like that, but we keep as much of it in the States as we can."

I would like to know which leathers are sourced from overseas... just out of curiosity...

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why Trumans :(?
I had a less than good experience given the price of their boots - quality wise and customer care. The pairs I had were completely lacking symmetry, and by the time I got a response from someone there (after several unresponsive attempts over weeks) I had already sold them on ebay. So I've washed my hands of the brand. Last time I was in Boulder I hoped to get to their store, but by then they had just moved to Oregon.

Maybe I'm too picky, but none of these issues have come up with my White's, except maybe some emails to their customer care team that never got replies...

Plus, with some many White's, when and why would I wear anything else!

ThreeLions

Reaction score
I was a pretty big Danner Boots fan and I have about 9 pairs. I've been wearing that brand for the past 15 years or so.

The company that owns Danner also now owns White's. A few years ago, I was in a Danner showroom and saw a small display of White's Boots. The White's "bug" started with a pair of NFPA Black Smokejumpers.

Ever since I started expanding my White's collection, the Danners are just sitting in a cupboard.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads