• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turns31

Reaction score
I got into work this morning with my new boots, crossed my leg at my desk and noticed the inner left boot shaft has some loose grain. Anyway to remedy this or did this shoe just lose the CXL lottery? If this was a work boot (smokejumpers for example) I wouldn't give a second thought to it. Sent a pic to Whites CS asking for their opinion and they stated it's normal wear and to try conditioning it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200121_095410.jpg
    IMG_20200121_095410.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_20200121_095800.jpg
    IMG_20200121_095800.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 174

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't (and do any soles) run from the toe to the heel, then again onto the heel. Thus covering the entire bottom of the foot without interrupting the heel stack?

Like a Unit Sole? They do, but it makes it wonky to adjust the heel height... you have to use half slips and those just look weird.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s CXL for ya, prone to loose grain. To my knowledge there’s nothing you can do aside hope for the other side to crease similarly over time

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got into work this morning with my new boots, crossed my leg at my desk and noticed the inner left boot shaft has some loose grain. Anyway to remedy this or did this shoe just lose the CXL lottery? If this was a work boot (smokejumpers for example) I wouldn't give a second thought to it. Sent a pic to Whites CS asking for their opinion and they stated it's normal wear and to try conditioning it.

As I think I just wrote recently on another board (or was it this one..?), my impression is that "loose grain" (where the layers of the leather have actually separated, is quite rare, and this is probably not what you have here. Rather, it's the nature of CXL creasing. I don't imagine conditioning will do anything.

Turns31

Reaction score
That’s CXL for ya, prone to loose grain. To my knowledge there’s nothing you can do aside hope for the other side to crease similarly over time
Honestly, if the other side was similar I wouldn't mention it either. It's because the right boot is so perfect and tight.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I think I just wrote recently on another board (or was it this one..?), my impression is that "loose grain" (where the layers of the leather have actually separated, is quite rare, and this is probably not what you have here. Rather, it's the nature of CXL creasing. I don't imagine conditioning will do anything.
I agree... Horween wrote an article on this... they call it "break" and it is just how the leather bends and folds... at the end they have pictures of what they consider acceptable... note that some of the pictures show two shoes in the same pair exhibiting different break (like @Turns31)... not saying it is right, but that's from the horse's mouth.

Last edited:

nwlifer

Reaction score
Yeah that seems to be really common with cxl that it will experience some creasing like that. The clicker placed it on the inside quarter, as opposed to the outside or the vamp, so that's a plus.

discomute

Reaction score
I agree... Horween wrote an article on this... they call it "break" and it is just how the leather bends and folds... at the end they have pictures of what they consider acceptable... note that some of the pictures show two shoes in the same pair exhibiting different break (like @Turns31)... not saying it is right, but that's from the horse's mouth.

Any love I had for CXL disappeared with this article. It's very pretty but... Well... it's not "boot grade" leather in my completely non-expert opinion

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any love I had for CXL disappeared with this article. It's very pretty but... Well... it's not "boot grade" leather in my completely non-expert opinion

Like I would imagine most leathers, there are 'grades' of that leather. Whites from what I've seen uses decent CXL, but its not perhaps as good as some other high end boot makers that produce at a lower volume. For example, the CXL that Lofgren uses is much much better in terms of grain and evenness.

That said, not sure if Whites uses thinner CXL on the Main Street line versus their all the SD/SJ boots.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The CXL on my Wolverines has been abused to snot and it’s nearly as soft as lambskin. I have conditioned it more than is needed and it’s super comfy, but not great for durability. It’s not designed to be a work leather, more of a “show” leather. Interesting article.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The debate on CXL is, of course, without end. Many pixels have been spilled on it in this and other forums, with strong defenders and strong detractors. I was once more on the skeptical side, but the CXL on my bounty hunters has done very well indeed over nearly six years of wear. There are various factors that contribute to how it wears, including whether lined or not, the reinforcement that White's uses in the toe and heel counter areas, and just sheer luck of how and where it creases.

Last edited:

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[J]ust sheer luck of how and where it creases.
Spot on.

I have come to the conclusion that luck is the biggest factor... you pay your money and you take your chances... one can of course improve one's chances by ordering from a higher end company, but there are no guarantees.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Boy in the pics here the Wolverine 1K boots consistently come off worse, while the Aldens look pretty good all around, and the Vibergs mixed. Limited pool of course, but would make me wary of the 1Ks..

discomute

Reaction score
CXL feels great on feet and their colors age nicely but it is definitely a gamble. I wish White's sourced other colors in their Dress leather. A tan or burgundy would be wonderful.

Given how dark their dress brown is to smooth brown, it'd be interesting to see what a dress tan would look like.

I'd almost certainly buy it straight away though. I'm dying for it...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics