• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Legal Eagles

Reaction score
Now it's just a question of aesthetics -- some of us like the half sole as seeming a bit more old fashioned.
Bingo! I prefer the uninterrupted heel stack... if I want an uninterrupted heel stack and protection on the ball of the foot from wet and rain and traction... I have to go with the half sole, or a toppy... as @linafelt said, the half sole just looks old school classic...

Turns31

Reaction score
I got into work this morning with my new boots, crossed my leg at my desk and noticed the inner left boot shaft has some loose grain. Anyway to remedy this or did this shoe just lose the CXL lottery? If this was a work boot (smokejumpers for example) I wouldn't give a second thought to it. Sent a pic to Whites CS asking for their opinion and they stated it's normal wear and to try conditioning it.

Attachments

Legal Eagles

Reaction score
Why wouldn't (and do any soles) run from the toe to the heel, then again onto the heel. Thus covering the entire bottom of the foot without interrupting the heel stack?
Like a Unit Sole? They do, but it makes it wonky to adjust the heel height... you have to use half slips and those just look weird.

PACostag

Reaction score
That’s CXL for ya, prone to loose grain. To my knowledge there’s nothing you can do aside hope for the other side to crease similarly over time

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got into work this morning with my new boots, crossed my leg at my desk and noticed the inner left boot shaft has some loose grain. Anyway to remedy this or did this shoe just lose the CXL lottery? If this was a work boot (smokejumpers for example) I wouldn't give a second thought to it. Sent a pic to Whites CS asking for their opinion and they stated it's normal wear and to try conditioning it.
As I think I just wrote recently on another board (or was it this one..?), my impression is that "loose grain" (where the layers of the leather have actually separated, is quite rare, and this is probably not what you have here. Rather, it's the nature of CXL creasing. I don't imagine conditioning will do anything.

Turns31

Reaction score
That’s CXL for ya, prone to loose grain. To my knowledge there’s nothing you can do aside hope for the other side to crease similarly over time
Honestly, if the other side was similar I wouldn't mention it either. It's because the right boot is so perfect and tight.

Legal Eagles

Reaction score
As I think I just wrote recently on another board (or was it this one..?), my impression is that "loose grain" (where the layers of the leather have actually separated, is quite rare, and this is probably not what you have here. Rather, it's the nature of CXL creasing. I don't imagine conditioning will do anything.
I agree... Horween wrote an article on this... they call it "break" and it is just how the leather bends and folds... at the end they have pictures of what they consider acceptable... note that some of the pictures show two shoes in the same pair exhibiting different break (like @Turns31)... not saying it is right, but that's from the horse's mouth.

Last edited:

nwlifer

Reaction score
Yeah that seems to be really common with cxl that it will experience some creasing like that. The clicker placed it on the inside quarter, as opposed to the outside or the vamp, so that's a plus.

discomute

Reaction score
I agree... Horween wrote an article on this... they call it "break" and it is just how the leather bends and folds... at the end they have pictures of what they consider acceptable... note that some of the pictures show two shoes in the same pair exhibiting different break (like @Turns31)... not saying it is right, but that's from the horse's mouth.

Any love I had for CXL disappeared with this article. It's very pretty but... Well... it's not "boot grade" leather in my completely non-expert opinion

Mghart

Reaction score
Any love I had for CXL disappeared with this article. It's very pretty but... Well... it's not "boot grade" leather in my completely non-expert opinion
Like I would imagine most leathers, there are 'grades' of that leather. Whites from what I've seen uses decent CXL, but its not perhaps as good as some other high end boot makers that produce at a lower volume. For example, the CXL that Lofgren uses is much much better in terms of grain and evenness.

That said, not sure if Whites uses thinner CXL on the Main Street line versus their all the SD/SJ boots.

manowar

Reaction score
The CXL on my Wolverines has been abused to snot and it’s nearly as soft as lambskin. I have conditioned it more than is needed and it’s super comfy, but not great for durability. It’s not designed to be a work leather, more of a “show” leather. Interesting article.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The debate on CXL is, of course, without end. Many pixels have been spilled on it in this and other forums, with strong defenders and strong detractors. I was once more on the skeptical side, but the CXL on my bounty hunters has done very well indeed over nearly six years of wear. There are various factors that contribute to how it wears, including whether lined or not, the reinforcement that White's uses in the toe and heel counter areas, and just sheer luck of how and where it creases.

Last edited:

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Boy in the pics here the Wolverine 1K boots consistently come off worse, while the Aldens look pretty good all around, and the Vibergs mixed. Limited pool of course, but would make me wary of the 1Ks..

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.