• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
One more question for you all. My smoke jumpers and insulated hunters are size 11.5 F but have a soft toe. Anyone have suggestions on size for semi dress with black smooth leather? Same as my others? What is a double celastic toe? All help is appreciated.
I have no advice for sizing; you're best bet is to talk to White's or Baker for that, but the double celastic toe is just double the material; it's stiffer and more pronounced.

Okal

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, Jack. The brown HH in close trim with toe cap and Cuban heel seem to suit me. I agree that the heel is great with either the block or the Cuban, although the block at standard height looks too bulky to me. The block lowered 1/4" like yours looks good. I'm an Okie, and cowboy boots look normal to me, so the Cuban heel fits my idea of an attractive configuration. Although some might think that a lowered Cuban heel looks funny, there are pictures of those heels here on shoes that are very good looking.

Hill

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting my first pair of White's. I've decided on the semi-dress with cuban heel, no captoe. What kind of leather upper did/would you go with for your first build? I was thinking the semi-dress brown would be the classic choice (assuming this was the first leather used for the semi-dress boot) but I know a lot of people like chromexcel. Thanks for your opinions.

the shivman

Reaction score
Go for the dress brown leather for durability, chromexcel if you want more shine.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I think you're confused.

Chromexcel isn't going to shine up well without a lot of work. It's a touch leather overall, but very susceptible to nicks, dings, scratches and scuffs.

Dress brown is a smoother finish leather that will shine well. Overall the leather is probably not quite as thick of CXL but it's a pretty tough leather with a durable surface finish in my experience that doesn't show wear as quickly as CXL will.

I love both and have had both on the SD. Currently my only pair of SD are in dress brown, but I have a pair of Alden Roys in CXL as well. If I was ordering a new pair of White's for myself I'd probably go dress brown again though.

Hill

Reaction score
Super helpful, I think I'm going with the dress brown. Thanks guys.

Hill

Reaction score
Hey guys, has anyone found that the Vibram 269 has better or worse traction than the Vibram 700? Thinking about getting one of those two for snowy/wet weather in the city. Suggestions?

Also, can you tell the difference between the two when wearing them?

Thanks.

Edit: changed to 269

Last edited:

Okal

Reaction score
I just ordered these. They should look a lot like Jack Hazer's boots except with close trim, a Cuban heel, and a Vibram sole. I hope I am ordering the correct size. I went through all the measurements at home and talked with Andrew at Baker's. he is a very nice young man and was extremely patient and helpful.

Horse Hide Semi Dress by White's:
Toe Cap Leather Color Brown Horse Hide, Sole Vibram 700, Size - Length 12.5, Hardware All Antique Eyes, Edge Brown, Upper (Shaft) Leather Brown Horse Hide, Midsole Single, Pull Loops No Thanks, Last Standard, Sole Trim Close Trim, Toe Vamp Leather Brown Horse Hide, Heel Base Standard, Heel Lifts 1/4" Lower, Size - Width D (medium), Toe Cap Leather Toe Cap (only available on plain toe style), Celastic Toe Box Single Celastic Toe, Leather Liner Cream

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, has anyone found that the Vibram 269 has better or worse traction than the Vibram 700? Thinking about getting one of those two for snowy/wet weather in the city. Suggestions?

Also, can you tell the difference between the two when wearing them?

Thanks.

Edit: changed to 269
These two seems to get a lot of varied views in terms of grip. I`d say that the 269 feels a little thiner and more supple than a 700. The 700 should have more grip, but if you think of it another way - the 269 will have more surface area touching the ground, so that would argue the other way. For real grip you would need the lugs. The 269 is thinner at the mid shoe part.

Hill

Reaction score

These two seems to get a lot of varied views in terms of grip. I`d say that the 269 feels a little thiner and more supple than a 700. The 700 should have more grip, but if you think of it another way - the 269 will have more surface area touching the ground, so that would argue the other way. For real grip you would need the lugs. The 269 is thinner at the mid shoe part.

Thank you.

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pleasure, these photos should give you a good idea of the differences...

The 269`s sole is half the thickness at the arch part back, and this makes a big difference in comfort I think. So technically there is a big difference.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads