• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

marcusg

Reaction score
yes, 55 last
I really like those. If I'm not mistaken, the current White's web site shows them listed as the 350 Cruiser. I especially like the toe shape as opposed to the smoke jumper toe (4811). I'm trying to decide between exactly what you've shown there and the MP-Stuart (half-sole) in distressed smooth. I walk a lot and I'd prefer to have a lighter boot than what I think those BHs weigh.

discomute

Reaction score
in my opinion, the MPs fill that fashion-void that they had. No doubt still a quality product, but their heritage line cant be beat in my opinion.

Undoubtedly the Barrie last makes quite a difference when it comes to having something look 'dress'. Which sucks if you're foot is a certain shape, but, *shrug* it is what it is

RCD33

Reaction score
First pair of Whites, ordered via Kyle at Bakers. They've been worn for a couple weeks, but are certainly still in the break-in phase. The design was very much influenced by @patrick_b's pair of Roughout Vibergs.

MP-M1
10D
55 Last
Brown Roughout - Unlined
Unstructured Toe
Beige Stitching
Commando Half-Sole
Brown Edge Trim

ThreeLions

Reaction score
Oooooh... Just my size. Unfortunately, black Friday wiped me out and I've spent all my disposable cash on guns, watches, and tech gadgets.... Too many hobbies!

marcusg

Reaction score
First pair of Whites
MP-M1
10D
55 Last
Brown Roughout - Unlined
Unstructured Toe
Beige Stitching
Commando Half-Sole
Brown Edge Trim
I’m curious why you chose the 55 last over the MP last? Visually, I can’t tell the difference. Coming from smoke jumpers, I think I’d like the arch on the 55 over the MP, but that’s just a guess because I’ve never worn anything based on the 55 or MP.

discomute

Reaction score
Hi guys, now that I have my first pair of White's I am starting to think about boot care. I have read the instructions that I got and it wasn't particularly helpful. My questions are:
1) Clean mud and dirt off with a mild soap. Any soap? Soap I use in the shower? Liquid soap? Dishwashing detergent?
2) I get a lot of marks on my shoes like the ones pictured in the attachment. How do I best deal with them?
3) is this Product what everyone uses as oil?
4) Should I also be using a black shoe shine? I generally use kiwi shoe shine but I have never owned good boots before. Do I need this and the oil?

Attachments

• 20191215_201037.jpg
    20191215_201037.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 141

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Congrats! What leather is that?

If you are just wearing those casually and not getting them caked in mud or dung or oil or paint or whatever junk people get on workboots, then you don't really need to clean them with soap. If they get a little muddy a damp rag will handle it, and for standard dust a horsehair brush should keep them plenty tidy. For many leathers, a horsehair brush should also help get any minor scuffs out no problem. Depending on what leather those are (Main Streets in black French calf, I think?) then you definitely don't need anything as heavy duty as Obenauf's oil. Things like Bick 4 or Venetian Shoe Cream are usually recommended to keep leather conditioned (used sparingly). Those would probably take a shine very well.

TH3515

Reaction score
^ +1 to what he said.
The care instructions are more aimed at actual workboots and the oiltan leathers these are typically made of.
For french calf, I'd use a good black shoe cream with some wax content to give a nice shine. Clean with damp cotton rag (or wet sponge + running water if really muddy), then apply a very light coat of cream, let dry, then buff with HH brush or clean cloth.

Keep em clean! Brush them a lot, but don't overuse any products.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, now that I have my first pair of White's I am starting to think about boot care. I have read the instructions that I got and it wasn't particularly helpful. My questions are:
1) Clean mud and dirt off with a mild soap. Any soap? Soap I use in the shower? Liquid soap? Dishwashing detergent?
2) I get a lot of marks on my shoes like the ones pictured in the attachment. How do I best deal with them?
3) is this Product what everyone uses as oil?
4) Should I also be using a black shoe shine? I generally use kiwi shoe shine but I have never owned good boots before. Do I need this and the oil?

Highly recommend Bick 4 for conditioning

RCD33

Reaction score
I’m curious why you chose the 55 last over the MP last? Visually, I can’t tell the difference. Coming from smoke jumpers, I think I’d like the arch on the 55 over the MP, but that’s just a guess because I’ve never worn anything based on the 55 or MP.
I chose it for fit reasons. I typically need a lot of toe space and from what I’ve read, the MP last is more narrow and tapered than the 55. However, even the 55 feels a bit tight/short on my left foot, but I think that’s due to my wide toe splay from a few previously broken toes.

I might try the 38 last at some point or see if Whites can lengthen the left boot somehow. The only welted footwear I’ve truly been able to fit well is Alden’s Modified Last, but I still have some hope for these.

Sledge42

Reaction score
Oooooh... Just my size. Unfortunately, black Friday wiped me out and I've spent all my disposable cash on guns, watches, and tech gadgets.... Too many hobbies!
HA! I feel your pain.. numerous items on "watch lists" ended up flooding me with 10% to 25% off items I intended to buy anyways. Dropped a mortgage payment in 1 day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads