• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

akmateo

Reaction score
Awesome boots Thor! Wow, they look great! Can you post your build specs? I am seriously considering a second pair in 8" with the commando soles.

Thor

Reaction score
Here are the build specs- the sole on the boot is vibram 100- which was not an option on the web form- so, I just chose any sole and then made a note on the order for the actual sole I wanted (with verbal approval from Baker)

...I think the natural edge trim really makes the boot...

2011 White's Classic Work Boot

Sole Vibram 700, Heel Lifts Standard, Edge Natural, Upper (Shaft) Leather Brown Chome Excel by Horween, Midsole Single, Toe Cap Leather Toe Cap (only available on plain toe style), Leather Liner Tan, Sole Trim Close Trim, Toe Vamp Leather Brown Chome Excel by Horween, Heel Base 90 Degree Blocked off Heel (Traveler), Size - Width D (medium), Hardware All Antique Eyes, Celastic Toe Box Single Celastic Toe, Lace Design Plain Toe, Counter Leather Brown Chome Excel by Horween, Height 7"

akmateo

Reaction score
I was not aware that White's were available in 7 inch height. Just looking at your boots, I would have guessed that they were 8 inch. Can you take a pic of the soles?

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StarterStyle
You could use those boots to cut down a tree, build a door, install it, kick it in, and kill the person behind it.

They are seriously huge.
The heel alone!

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's why angled "Cuban" is the "standard" heel on mullti-layered/lug soles & most lifted heels. 'keeps the chunk to a minimum.

moreover & most importantly, imo, is the comfortability of walking. angled heels weren't just designed for looks. they compensate for the added height of the heels for a more natural gait... ie, a block high heel would hit the pavement quicker than an angled one on each stride, not allowing a full motion of a stride
dozingoff.gif

don't ask for proof cuz it's just one of those things one ponders after a massive toke.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the look of the tapered heel but after having a pair with the block heel I definitely agree that the tapered is a more comfortable style and leads to a more natural feeling gait. I think people often don't think of that, thinking it is merely a style choice.

Thor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by akmateo
I was not aware that White's were available in 7 inch height. Just looking at your boots, I would have guessed that they were 8 inch. Can you take a pic of the soles?
The Classic Work Boot from Whites offered by Baker comes in 6,7 or 8 inch per their website- I would have preferred the tapered heel but it was not an option. I have a pair of 20yr old Whites packers with the cuban heel and it does provide for an easier gate... I do not have pics of the actual sole on my boot handy but it is Vibram 100 as pictured here: http://www.boot.com/bsoles.htm ...and actually it appears to be Vibram 100F as mine has the distinctive red lug in the middle...indicating fire resistance. I didn't request that but it will come in handy for stamping out campfires..
smile.gif

konadog

Reaction score
i went to the Stronghold yesterday in Venice. they have a ton of white's semi dress in stock in the various leathers. i currently own the semi dress in brown dress leather with the full vibram sole and love them, my favorite boots. so i'm gonna get another pair. will be a single leather sole. torn between the water buffalo black cherry, water buffalo black, and the black CXL with the captoe. of all the boots in the store, those stood out to me.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My new White's showed up today and I'm really pleased with them. I sized down 1/2 from a previous pair and was afraid they might not fit but they fit great. My build:

Semi-Dress
British tan leather
cream leather lining
all antique eyelets
Vibram 269 sole
brown edge
standard trim
standard heel
standard last

Love the sole, I wanted the versatility of rubber but liked the sleek look of my old single leather soles. The tapered waist of the 269 sole makes for a perfect compromise. The British tan leather looks even better then I had hoped.

Anyway, on to the pics.

DSC_3436.jpg

DSC_3439.jpg

DSC_3437.jpg

DSC_3438.jpg

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slide, those are beautiful. Congrats and I hope they serve you well and for a long time. I'm sure they will.

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
inlove.gif
those look awesome, man. congrats!

Originally Posted by konadog
i went to the Stronghold yesterday in Venice. they have a ton of white's semi dress in stock in the various leathers. i currently own the semi dress in brown dress leather with the full vibram sole and love them, my favorite boots. so i'm gonna get another pair. will be a single leather sole. torn between the water buffalo black cherry, water buffalo black, and the black CXL with the captoe. of all the boots in the store, those stood out to me.
i've checked out the water buffalo SDs @Fowler's NYC a few months ago, but wasn't really moved by the leather. maybe, it's just a preference thing__ no idea how it wears.

the captoed black chromexcel would be more to my liking. if i can have it my way__ capped brogue in dark brown or espresso w/natural trim, on Vibram half soles + Quabaug heels
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads