• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sledge42

Reaction score
All-
If I am an 11.5 E on a 55 Last, you think I could get away with an 11.5 D on a 4811 Last?

Legal Eagles

Reaction score
All-
If I am an 11.5 E on a 55 Last, you think I could get away with an 11.5 D on a 4811 Last?
Why do you need the E width?

If for your toes you might get away with it as the 4811 has more toe volume than the 55... to my mind it is mostly height, but a little in the width too.

If you need the E width for the ball or instep, then the 4811 D width will - I fear - be too narrow.

But every foot is different, and the above is only my experience.

Sledge42

Reaction score
Why do you need the E width?

If for your toes you might get away with it as the 4811 has more toe volume than the 55... to my mind it is mostly height, but a little in the width too.

If you need the E width for the ball or instep, then the 4811 D width will - I fear - be too narrow.

But every foot is different, and the above is only my experience.
Legal Eagles-
I just got suggested by Kyle on my BH build to go with an 11.5 E because I told him I tend to get some pinky toe rub on my right foot on all my 11.5 D boots that I own.

I know the 4811 is supposed to have a bit more room in the toes.. thus my question thinking maybe a D in this last would work?

I'm still a "White's Rookie" and only own one pair on the Barrie Last, and my ordered, but not yet received, 55 last BH's.

Most appreciative for the reply.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Legal Eagles-
I just got suggested by Kyle on my BH build to go with an 11.5 E because I told him I tend to get some pinky toe rub on my right foot on all my 11.5 D boots that I own.

I know the 4811 is supposed to have a bit more room in the toes.. thus my question thinking maybe a D in this last would work?

I'm still a "White's Rookie" and only own one pair on the Barrie Last, and my ordered, but not yet received, 55 last BH's.

Most appreciative for the reply.
I only tried on the 4811 once, but it was definitely tighter in the toebox than the 55. And I recall others saying the same thing. So, I don’t know...

SleepyTexan

Reaction score
Anybody here own both dress leather and chromexcel? How do they compare?
I've got brown dress leather, black CXL (given to brother), brown horsehide, and natural waxed flesh.

I think the dress leathers are a bit underrated, I got dress brown due to liking how this one aged. While I do like CXL I much prefer the waxed flesh variants.

That being said I'm looking to pick up a pair in Olive CXL but a pair in waxed flesh also looks incredibly tempting.

Edit:

SleepyTexan

Reaction score
If I am 9E on the 55 last and 9.5D also fits decently would a 9.5D also work out okay for me on the MP last?

Legal Eagles

Reaction score
I only tried on the 4811 once, but it was definitely tighter in the toebox than the 55. And I recall others saying the same thing. So, I don’t know...
That is interesting as the 4811 to me is rounder and more bulbous than the 55... I have found the 4811 to have more, not less, room in the toebox... I guess YMMV remains true... perhaps @sambam can chime in.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is interesting as the 4811 to me is rounder and more bulbous than the 55... I have found the 4811 to have more, not less, room in the toebox... I guess YMMV remains true... perhaps @sambam can chime in.
My sense is that it has more vertical volume but narrower side to side. But also, I may have just gotten a one off tight boot to try at the time..

Netvine

Reaction score
I have the same opinion as Linafelt on this one. Ive got the 55BH and 4811SJ in 8.5D with a plain soft toe. The difference is hard for me to articulate. I am happy with how both lasts fit my foot.

The 4811SJ has less room laterally somehow, yet has MUCH more volume overall. the 4811 until broken in was too tight on pinky toe, fine now. This caused some serious rub and pain until broken in.

Did not have this issue with 55 BH. The break in of the 55 was only midsole and instep. For me, the 55 provided extra room on the outside of foot. No rub at all.

Forefoot in 4811 does not have as much room laterally within the boot. Allowing me to walk along steep hillsides without my forefoot sliding inside the boot. Forefoot slides laterally inside 55. I can move faster in 4811, more surefooted. The toe box in 4811 has much more volume, yet still somehow a narrower(snug) fit for me. 55 is more comfortable overall.

I have a wide foot and normally wear a 9.5EE in sports shoes.

Last edited:

Sledge42

Reaction score
@Netvine WOW! Thank you for the time it took to place such a response. I think you articulated it well.

I appreciate all these insights to make decisions. They are most appreciated folks. Thank you!

Legal Eagles

Reaction score
@Netvine WOW! Thank you for the time it took to place such a response. I think you articulated it well.

I appreciate all these insights to make decisions. They are most appreciated folks. Thank you!
So it seems the consensus is that if you are concerned with lateral toe rub, you should not try to go down in width from a 55 E to a 4811 D. Good Luck!

Sledge42

Reaction score
So it seems the consensus is that if you are concerned with lateral toe rub, you should not try to go down in width from a 55 E to a 4811 D. Good Luck!
@Legal Eagles. I'm not 100% though. If he said he had some rub at first, but now after break in it is fine. I think we are all threading the needle. With that said, the D on the 4811 could still work. Your opinion agrees with that philosophy, and I'm wondering if it may indeed work at the D.

So now all I need to do is ponder whether I want to take the shot on them or not.

Netvine

Reaction score
I always ask Kyle before ordering. He recommended I stay with the same size/width. Bakers of course sized me from measurements I sent in.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.