• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gte872h

Reaction score
When it comes to custom orders, how much do you guys fret over the last type? I think for my first boot I'm going to keep it nice and simple and order a Semi-dress (perhaps not even customised). However, I feel like the swing last looks much more like the shape of my foot than the semi-dress last. Would you guys even worry about something like that?

Reiterating what @linafelt said a good fit is key to the whole process. It’s a pain but doing a tracing would be best. If you send the tracing to Bakers and or White’s they will tell you which lasts would be a good match for your feet and which lasts to avoid.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
I feel like the swing last looks much more like the shape of my foot than the semi-dress last. Would you guys even worry about something like that?

brotha that's all we do around here is worry about chit like that haha ;) linafelt hit the nail on the head; send your tracings into Bakers & ask Kyle what he thinks would be a good match for you and if a try on boot is possible. The importance of getting the fit correct cannot be understated because you'll have the boots forever. Don't stress out though because you're in the best of hands with White's & Bakers - both companies have the best customer support in the game and that's not hyperbole.
---------------------------------

Question for everyone: What's your favorite brand & color of Edge dressing (for brown OR natty soles) ?? I've been having good results with the highly recommended Fiebing's Acrylic Resolene but wanted to try a regular edge dressing out. I suppose Fiebings Brown would be a good pick?

Enjoying my Waxed BH's today:
IMG_1845.jpg

b1lf

Reaction score
^ lookin good

I prefer natty soles - I’m all ears for a recommendation for edge dressing recs in that regard - I use non-staining cream/conditioner on my current pairs to keep them from drying out too much

Jmccle2

Reaction score
brotha that's all we do around here is worry about chit like that haha ;) linafelt hit the nail on the head; send your tracings into Bakers & ask Kyle what he thinks would be a good match for you and if a try on boot is possible. The importance of getting the fit correct cannot be understated because you'll have the boots forever. Don't stress out though because you're in the best of hands with White's & Bakers - both companies have the best customer support in the game and that's not hyperbole.
---------------------------------

Question for everyone: What's your favorite brand & color of Edge dressing (for brown OR natty soles) ?? I've been having good results with the highly recommended Fiebing's Acrylic Resolene but wanted to try a regular edge dressing out. I suppose Fiebings Brown would be a good pick?

Enjoying my Waxed BH's today:
View attachment 1101857
^ lookin good

I prefer natty soles - I’m all ears for a recommendation for edge dressing recs in that regard - I use non-staining cream/conditioner on my current pairs to keep them from drying out too much
I use the Allen Edmonds travel sized bottles of edge dressing. They’re cheap and the applicator is small enough to not get edge dressing everywhere.

b1lf

Reaction score
Hey guys what’s the “best” shoe trees for (size 9EE) White’s Bounty Hunter boots 6” height?

I have a few pairs of AE’s stuffed in mine now but I want another pair ready to go when they get here.

pbrmhl

Reaction score
I use the Allen Edmonds travel sized bottles of edge dressing. They’re cheap and the applicator is small enough to not get edge dressing everywhere.

I've only used the Allen Edmonds edge dressing, on my neutral colored edges on my black Semi Dress boots. I recently bought a bottle of Fiebling's neutral Resolene to use on my new brown Semi Dress boots, which should arrive in a couple of weeks (also with neutral edges). I look forward to the comparison.

Glass shoot

Reaction score
Hey guys what’s the “best” shoe trees for (size 9EE) White’s Bounty Hunter boots 6” height?

I have a few pairs of AE’s stuffed in mine now but I want another pair ready to go when they get here.
i have few woodlore shoe trees size 8-9.5 if you want to buy

Glass shoot

Reaction score
I’m more so concerned with purchasing the best boot/shoe tree possible since I want to take care of the boot.

I’ve always purchased standard SHOE trees. Are BOOT trees a good idea?

https://www.woodlore.com/shoe-trees-inserts/mens-cedar-shoe-trees/the-boss-boot-tree/#tabs

If not, which is the best?
imho those boot trees are overkill/overpriced for casual boot wear(If money's not a concern, then it probably wouldn't hurt to buy that). i think the ankle piece of the wood is unnecessary as the purpose of the shoe tree is to maintain the shoe form, odor, moisture. Having that extra wood for ankle would probably serve little purpose for conventional boots. It might be worth it if you're getting a super tall boot or you are prone to getting the upper ankle wet from sweat or other external factors. IMHO for everyday casual wear, as long as you get a shoe tree made of cedar wood, you're pretty much set.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@sambam can the toe shape of the MP be modified? Also curious if you guys have pumped out any MPs in Distressed Smooth Rough out.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know you can get them unstructured now which does change the appearance, much lower profile.
Yup I know. Just having some FOMO at the moment. I have to keep looking at old pictures to remind myself what I didn't care for. But if they could do a slightly less round toe, and unstructured - might be a perfect boot. I know Nick's can do various toe shapes, so I'm curious if White's can/will.

sambam

Reaction score
Yup I know. Just having some FOMO at the moment. I have to keep looking at old pictures to remind myself what I didn't care for. But if they could do a slightly less round toe, and unstructured - might be a perfect boot. I know Nick's can do various toe shapes, so I'm curious if White's can/will.
I am working on a variation of the MP right now. Just waiting for heel bases to come in. Should fit the White's traditionalist better. Will keep you posted.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
I am working on a variation of the MP right now. Just waiting for heel bases to come in. Should fit the White's traditionalist better. Will keep you posted.

probably be the excuse i need to get some of that green olive waxed:cool2:

btw - got my Distressed RO SD's today & they are freakn gorgeous

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads