1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Victor Shadow, Sep 28, 2010.

1. RickyTylerson

RickyTylerson Well-Known Member

The laces thin out as you use them. They should just pop in there with some force. I've never needed to oil the laces when new. They seem pretty oily from the get go.

2. andy b.

andy b. Senior Member

I have found that the laces aren't square, in one orientation they are thinner than the other. When the laces are new you need to twist them so the thin profile slides under the hook. Almost every pair of Whites laces I have were like this when new.

3. tocohillsguy

tocohillsguy Senior Member

Bingo! That works. Thanks.

4. hoppy_IPA

hoppy_IPA Senior Member

Inspired by @Legal Eagles, I wore my Horse Hide SD’s to court today for jury duty ~

5. Legal Eagles

Legal Eagles Senior Member

Grand or Traverse Jury?

Did you get picked? Lawyers almost never get asked to serve on a jury... the risk is that they will be perceived as an expert and the other members will defer to their opinions instead of making up the juror's own mind.

In any case, if you want to get off jury duty, just ask the judge to explain the concept of "jury nullification"... you will be on the street in 5 minutes!

6. hoppy_IPA

hoppy_IPA Senior Member

^dismissed but not before 1hr of banter between the State, defense & jury to ensure we’re capable of standing as a juror. Criminal case though - Inmate assault on an officer in prison. Several questions on jurors belief in the prison system. I was intrigued by the number of jurors stating they believe there are too many people in prison & relieved that my extremely red state has vocal, level headed people

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018

7. pbrmhl

pbrmhl Active Member

I once served on a jury for a hate crime trial. Two lawyers were seated on the jury, including me. I thought for sure I would be excused when I confessed to supporting the ACLU during voir dire, let alone that I practiced law.

The undisputed facts: the young female defendant screamed racial epithets at some Hispanic customers who had been in front of her in line at a convenience store at 1:56 a.m. Those customers knew the clerk, and they chatted for a few minutes in Spanish. When she got to the front of the line, the clerk wouldn’t sell her the beers she was trying to buy, as it was then past 2:00 a.m. That’s when she started yelling at the departing customers, followed them outside, and threw a brick into their windshield as they were trying to drive away...

The other lawyer and I were the only jurors who voted to find her guilty, even though her guilt was very clear under the statute and jury instructions. The others didn’t want “the pretty girl” to go to jail... Result? Hung jury.

And I live in the bluest city in one of the bluest states in the US...

8. iamntbatman

iamntbatman Well-Known Member

What are those pants?

9. hoppy_IPA

hoppy_IPA Senior Member

N&F Khaki Selvedge Chinos

10. b1lf

b1lf Senior Member

Nice!

Man this wait is killing me - can’t wait to get my HH BH.

11. linafelt

linafelt Distinguished Member

BTW, I saw on Instagram (I think) someone refer to White's "chromexcel horsehide." Is it the case that the regular HH they offer is CXL? Or was there a special run of CXL horsehide? Or was the person just wrong? Anyone know?

12. hoppy_IPA

hoppy_IPA Senior Member

^it is veg tanned by Horween. It may helpful for some to know that White’s does not offer HH. Bakers supplies it to White’s as a contractual deal. If you were to source your own leather & send it to White’s, you would pay full price for the boot even though they don’t use their leather. So it becomes expensive quick and they are not liable for damages or mistakes in the build.

13. mogili222

mogili222 Senior Member

14. b1lf

b1lf Senior Member

Same ^

I don’t like CXL...

15. justsayno

justsayno Distinguished Member

Is horween horsehide better than Italian or Japanese horse hide?