• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicken1616

Reaction score
I guess your work doesn't involve people licking your boots? j/k

Seriously, you are right. We dress up for our own sakes. However, I think there may be a subconscious effect. Like that meme, but she doesn't know the reason she is discarding her panties.
Good point. However, if you could force someone from the general population to look at a pair of Chinese-made work boots from Wal Mart and a pair of White's, most likely they would "There are two pairs of boots, so what?"
If you wore a suit from, say Kohl's for $150, or a bespoke suit at $12-15K, they would say, "You have two suits."
There is too much to keep people's attention these days. They don't pay attention to those kinds of things. And maybe that is a good thing.

the fixer

Reaction score
The small percentage of people who enjoy a well made pair of boots, a meticulously made suit or any other high end article of clothing, there is about the same small percentage of people are the ones that notice. I agree, people are too preoccupied with other things. Too bad it has to be when they're driving.:brick:
Good point. However, if you could force someone from the general population to look at a pair of Chinese-made work boots from Wal Mart and a pair of White's, most likely they would "There are two pairs of boots, so what?"
If you wore a suit from, say Kohl's for $150, or a bespoke suit at $12-15K, they would say, "You have two suits."
There is too much to keep people's attention these days. They don't pay attention to those kinds of things. And maybe that is a good thing.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Actually I find people notice quite a bit, even if they couldn’t tell you the actual differences or name the leather.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
‘Dressing up’ might have turned into a form of cosplay for the younger generation, but I think people do notice dressing well. They might not be able to pin down the why or what - but they can distinguish a person who is well put together and one who isn’t. They might even put it down to confidence or personal looks, not realising the subtle affect a person’s dress can have on perception.

Is it worth the effort? Maybe not. But that doesn’t stop most of here, eh?

chicken1616

Reaction score
^Actually I find people notice quite a bit, even if they couldn’t tell you the actual differences or name the leather.
It's the those Non-Noticing Younger Millennials (NNYM) I've been hanging out with that are the problem. Maybe I need to be more selective:decisions:

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's the those Non-Noticing Younger Millennials (NNYM) I've been hanging out with that are the problem. Maybe I need to be more selective:decisions:

Yes, better to hang out with old fogies like myself I figure...

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
Entertaining a pair of 690 packers ...

Will someone post pix of their pair? Even better if in distressed ...

Thx much

andy b.

Reaction score

Thx much

I don't have mine with me at present, but I'll look to see if I have a recent photo on my laptop. They're black though.
Mine have the thoroughbred toe and I went down a width and up a half size to get them to hold my foot securely. The Packers have the most noticeable arch support of any Whites (of any footwear I own actually). For god's sake, don't lower the heel and don't get a block heel. LOL

gte872h

Reaction score
I am of the opinion that sambam should use this space to promote the product -- through new product details and answering questions. Checking on orders is wasted space, annoying, and should be done via pm or email. My $.02.

Completely agree with this.

NorthCoast

Reaction score
I am of the opinion that sambam should use this space to promote the product -- through new product details and answering questions. Checking on orders is wasted space, annoying, and should be done via pm or email. My $.02.

Agreed.

I'm ready to buy some more pairs!

iamntbatman

Reaction score

Ehhh...the thing though is that the internet has unlimited space. While new product details and answering questions clearly has greater value per post for more people than replying to checking on orders, for new people looking at getting into White's, it's cool to see an actual company employee responding to customer service inquiries like this on some unofficial forum like this one. Good look for the company, imo.

chicken1616

Reaction score

Thx much
IMG_0698 (1).JPG

ThreeLions

Reaction score
I do like those Packers. A pair in Red Dog leather is on my wish list. The only thing that gives me hesitation is how pronounced the sweep on the heel is. It's a serious cowboy boot heel. I think a block heel would look silly and way to chunky. I wonder how a logger heel would look? Anyone seen pictures of a Packer with any sort of modified heel?

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ehhh...the thing though is that the internet has unlimited space. While new product details and answering questions clearly has greater value per post for more people than replying to checking on orders, for new people looking at getting into White's, it's cool to see an actual company employee responding to customer service inquiries like this on some unofficial forum like this one. Good look for the company, imo.

Most of the asks were people who knew their quoted wait time hadn't even past yet. Let's just say I also found it to be in bad taste, but as usual Sambam is a rockstar and got them updates anyway. I third all the responses that would like to see him spending his time here to bring us new content and updates when he has time. It's not like he spends every day on here posting like the rest of us.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads