• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mboon85

Reaction score
Thanks. I suspect I have much to learn of style yet. Ive always worn baggy. I'm not even sure why. I bought some Iron Rangers a year ago that I love, and suddenly became aware of people rolling their slim pants up. Ive never worn slim pants, and only roll up cuffs if I'm literally walking on them. With awareness I'm reconsidering some of my wardrobe choices. What I know is I love GYW boots. And maybe shoes, but I started with boots.

If you're walking on them they're way way way too long and need a cheap hem. If you're walking on them, they're probably way too baggy. Cuff selvedge denim, but more than three layers (two folds) gets a scrunched "donut" look to be avoided. I'd hem chinos, duck canvas, etc.

brownies

Reaction score
Yes I had some very baggy stuff a few years ago. I'm phasing it all out now.

@Mathfish, thanks for the extra input. I don't like chukkas as a style I'm afraid. Never appealed to me. Oxfords are a maybe. But to be honest, if I were to go for some of those, I'd probably go a bit smarter and another brand. Semi dress looks awesome to me. I was just curious about the MP. They look a little like my Iron Rangers.

brownies

Reaction score
By the way, can anyone comment on how water buffalo ages? Does this darken like CXL seems to? Anyone got this in cherry black, sienna or cognac? I just found these pics on imgur, the cherry black looks awesome!

https://imgur.com/a/GamzS

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(these pictures aren't mine, original Imgur album here)

Hi community. A question for those with knowledge of horse hide. I found the pictures below on Imgur (via Reddit's goodyearwelt subreddit), I think it's "brown horse hide". This is one leather I'm considering for some SDs. To me, this looks amazing. Beautiful depth of colour and tone (not monotone).

Many thanks!
BTW, there's a pair of brown HHs on White's ebay store right now, 9.5, good price:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Whites-Boo...rentrq:ce9309f31620aa11ecd9f382fff4a887|iid:1

mboon85

Reaction score
Hi All, again. Ran into sambam posting some gorgeous pics of their MP boots a great (hundred) pages back.

How do you all view SD vs MP on terms of style. Is one more formal or dressy than the other? The MP looks pretty sleek to me, yet its offerings in leathers such as waxed flesh suggest a more casual boot.

I'm going for something that can be worn in a smart casual setting, at work. Not suits, but smartish. I could pull off waxed flesh, but I'm aiming a bit more formal than that.

do you know the page # those MPs are on?

Mathfish

Reaction score
I know if you go to White's Boots home page they have photos of each leather color with and without toe cap.

ThreeLions

Reaction score
I got home from two weeks in England and Italy and found my new boots waiting for me when I returned. White's was fast on this one, less than 3 weeks form order to delivery.

This is my 3rd pair of White's. I already had the standard NFPA Smokejumpers, and the SD in British Tan with a 269 sole.

Here's the build specs that I ordered this time:

White's Smoke Jumper
Last: 4811 - Smokejumper
Leather : Distressed Rough Out (Whole boot in same leather)
Toe Cap: None
Toe Box: Single Celastic (Didn't get this)
Steel Toe: No
Height: 10"
Leather Liner: No
Sole Trim: Standard Trim
Top: Rolled
Pull Loop: Yes
Eyelet Color: Brass
Eyelet Configuration : Hook and Eyelet
Top Garment: Eyelet
Lace Design: Plain Toe
False Tongue: Yes (though I received them in a different leather)
Sole: 100 Honey Vibram
Heel Shape: Standard Curve
Heel Height: Standard
Midsole: Single
Midsole/Edge Color: Natural
Size - Length: 12
Size - Width: D

Gs7Ko5S.jpg

aNoxqd8.jpg

U8fsa9A.jpg

Z1mNkHK.jpg

vl9H0um.jpg

3u0u5mO.jpg

All in all, I'm very happy with the boots. The rolled top was a nice add-on. I didn't get the single celastic toe-box that I had requested, but it's not going to be a deal breaker for me. Not worth requesting a rebuild for that one item.

One other thing I noticed was that the kilties (false tongues) that they included were not the same distressed leather as the rest of the boot. They seem to me to be the Brown oil tan leather. I wasn't too pleased about this at first, but after installing them, I think it looks pretty good.

I laced them up and tried the boots on, and or course they felt fantastic. I love the arch and ankle support in White's. I haven't worn them yet (other that the initial try on), but I'm guessing they will take quite a lot of wear to soften. The distressed leather is substantial. It feels about the same to me as my black smooth smokejumpers. Those I've been wearing for about 9 months and they're still pretty stiff, but getting better and better all the time. These new distressed rough out boots should make excellent general purpose workbooks.

As expected the, stitching and build quality is fantastic. White's really know their stuff.

I'm not super fond of the yellow laces and I'm going to look for some brown ones.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Toe Box: Single Celastic (Didn't get this)

I didn't get the single celastic toe-box that I had requested, but it's not going to be a deal breaker for me. Not worth requesting a rebuild for that one item.

You are more understanding than I am... if I paid that kind of money for a custom boot, it better be as ordered. Are you sure that you are not just telling yourself its OK in the excitement of new boots... and will later come to resent it as the toes flatten? Soft toe vs. celastic will look very different in 2 years... make sure that this is what you want. Did these come from Bakers? Usually if something slips by Whites, Bakers will catch it before it leaves their place... hard to believe something like that got by both Bakers and Whites...

Beautiful boots through... I can see why you are just tempted to keep them...

RickyTylerson

Reaction score
I don’t think the toes are gonna flatten too much on those. I’ve got a pair of farmer ranchers in brown smooth with a soft toe and those things haven’t flattened out at all and they’re almost 4 yrs old. I think the higher toe profile with the 4811 combined with the heavy work type leathers makes the toe pretty resilient.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t think the toes are gonna flatten too much on those. I’ve got a pair of farmer ranchers in brown smooth with a soft toe and those things haven’t flattened out at all and they’re almost 4 yrs old. I think the higher toe profile with the 4811 combined with the heavy work type leathers makes the toe pretty resilient.
Maybe, but over time all the unstructured toes I have seen on smokejumpers wound up looking like this... and this is White's black oiled leather, equally as thick and tough as the roughout.
f0c4b0d0b0a842ab8663312e563eed62.jpg

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
All in all, I'm very happy with the boots. The rolled top was a nice add-on. I didn't get the single celastic toe-box that I had requested, but it's not going to be a deal breaker for me. Not worth requesting a rebuild for that one item.

Great looking boots, threelions, they will give you many years of service. I love my distressed leather pair.

What I have noticed on my White's boots, the unstructured 4811s, all pretty much look like new in the toe. The oldest was built in '15. Mind you, they have not seen "extreme" conditions (firefighting, chemicals, etc) and have been regularly maintained, not abused in other words. Some are the heavier oiled leathers, others are the dress weight.

Now my unstructured 55s, the oldest being a '16 vintage (outdoor/work), one pair is lower profile (but not what I would consider "collapsed") and the other is probably too new to judge accurately (winter/hunting). These are both from the Hathorn line, with Red Dog leathers, rough and smooth out respectively, and get used. Remembering the 55 last is sleeker to begin with, the older pair is definitely more "flat"...

But in the end, they are your boots and as such the ultimate decision lies with you.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Crit_Obs

Reaction score
Happy wife..

The Lady Packers in black cherry WB arrived yesterday.
The WB is thin, but seems to have a dense structure.

Woah, this leather looks really different, and really good, in sunlight. Thanks for posting this!

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Horsehide SD arrived a day early...

Here they are...

I asked for an extra wide welt and standard trim... to me the hand-rolled welt is one of White's best features...

I also went with the double leather sole as I am going to try to use these as fair weather 3 season boots. I was going for a 30s to 40s retro look in horsehide... albeit with a cuban heel.

Ordered from Bakers 3/8 arrived 4/18... not bad...

IMG_3262.jpg

IMG_3263.jpg

IMG_3268.JPG

IMG_3266.JPG

IMG_3265.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads