1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Todd Shelton We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Todd Shelton which focuses on basic pieces customized to fit your body and your tastes.

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Victor Shadow, Sep 28, 2010.

1. mboon85

mboon85 Senior Member

If you're walking on them they're way way way too long and need a cheap hem. If you're walking on them, they're probably way too baggy. Cuff selvedge denim, but more than three layers (two folds) gets a scrunched "donut" look to be avoided. I'd hem chinos, duck canvas, etc.

2. brownies

brownies Well-Known Member

Yes I had some very baggy stuff a few years ago. I'm phasing it all out now.

@Mathfish, thanks for the extra input. I don't like chukkas as a style I'm afraid. Never appealed to me. Oxfords are a maybe. But to be honest, if I were to go for some of those, I'd probably go a bit smarter and another brand. Semi dress looks awesome to me. I was just curious about the MP. They look a little like my Iron Rangers.

3. brownies

By the way, can anyone comment on how water buffalo ages? Does this darken like CXL seems to? Anyone got this in cherry black, sienna or cognac? I just found these pics on imgur, the cherry black looks awesome!

https://imgur.com/a/GamzS

4. linafelt

linafelt Distinguished Member

BTW, there's a pair of brown HHs on White's ebay store right now, 9.5, good price:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Whites-Boo...rentrq:ce9309f31620aa11ecd9f382fff4a887|iid:1

5. mboon85

mboon85 Senior Member

do you know the page # those MPs are on?

6. brownies

641. There were other pages too I think.

7. Mathfish

Mathfish Senior Member

I know if you go to White's Boots home page they have photos of each leather color with and without toe cap.

8. ThreeLions

ThreeLions Active Member

I got home from two weeks in England and Italy and found my new boots waiting for me when I returned. White's was fast on this one, less than 3 weeks form order to delivery.

This is my 3rd pair of White's. I already had the standard NFPA Smokejumpers, and the SD in British Tan with a 269 sole.

Here's the build specs that I ordered this time:

White's Smoke Jumper
    Last: 4811 - Smokejumper
    Leather : Distressed Rough Out (Whole boot in same leather)
    Toe Cap: None
    Toe Box: Single Celastic (Didn't get this)
    Steel Toe: No
    Height: 10"
    Leather Liner: No
    Sole Trim: Standard Trim
    Top: Rolled
    Pull Loop: Yes
    Eyelet Color: Brass
    Eyelet Configuration : Hook and Eyelet
    Top Garment: Eyelet
    Lace Design: Plain Toe
    False Tongue: Yes (though I received them in a different leather)
    Sole: 100 Honey Vibram
    Heel Shape: Standard Curve
    Heel Height: Standard
    Midsole: Single
    Midsole/Edge Color: Natural
    Size - Length: 12
    Size - Width: D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all, I'm very happy with the boots. The rolled top was a nice add-on. I didn't get the single celastic toe-box that I had requested, but it's not going to be a deal breaker for me. Not worth requesting a rebuild for that one item.

One other thing I noticed was that the kilties (false tongues) that they included were not the same distressed leather as the rest of the boot. They seem to me to be the Brown oil tan leather. I wasn't too pleased about this at first, but after installing them, I think it looks pretty good.

I laced them up and tried the boots on, and or course they felt fantastic. I love the arch and ankle support in White's. I haven't worn them yet (other that the initial try on), but I'm guessing they will take quite a lot of wear to soften. The distressed leather is substantial. It feels about the same to me as my black smooth smokejumpers. Those I've been wearing for about 9 months and they're still pretty stiff, but getting better and better all the time. These new distressed rough out boots should make excellent general purpose workbooks.

As expected the, stitching and build quality is fantastic. White's really know their stuff.

I'm not super fond of the yellow laces and I'm going to look for some brown ones.

9. Legal Eagles

Legal Eagles Senior Member

You are more understanding than I am... if I paid that kind of money for a custom boot, it better be as ordered. Are you sure that you are not just telling yourself its OK in the excitement of new boots... and will later come to resent it as the toes flatten? Soft toe vs. celastic will look very different in 2 years... make sure that this is what you want. Did these come from Bakers? Usually if something slips by Whites, Bakers will catch it before it leaves their place... hard to believe something like that got by both Bakers and Whites...

Beautiful boots through... I can see why you are just tempted to keep them...

10. RickyTylerson

RickyTylerson Well-Known Member

I don’t think the toes are gonna flatten too much on those. I’ve got a pair of farmer ranchers in brown smooth with a soft toe and those things haven’t flattened out at all and they’re almost 4 yrs old. I think the higher toe profile with the 4811 combined with the heavy work type leathers makes the toe pretty resilient.

11. Legal Eagles

Maybe, but over time all the unstructured toes I have seen on smokejumpers wound up looking like this... and this is White's black oiled leather, equally as thick and tough as the roughout.
    [​IMG]

12. RockyMountain22

RockyMountain22 Well-Known Member

Great looking boots, threelions, they will give you many years of service. I love my distressed leather pair.

What I have noticed on my White's boots, the unstructured 4811s, all pretty much look like new in the toe. The oldest was built in '15. Mind you, they have not seen "extreme" conditions (firefighting, chemicals, etc) and have been regularly maintained, not abused in other words. Some are the heavier oiled leathers, others are the dress weight.

Now my unstructured 55s, the oldest being a '16 vintage (outdoor/work), one pair is lower profile (but not what I would consider "collapsed") and the other is probably too new to judge accurately (winter/hunting). These are both from the Hathorn line, with Red Dog leathers, rough and smooth out respectively, and get used. Remembering the 55 last is sleeker to begin with, the older pair is definitely more "flat"...

But in the end, they are your boots and as such the ultimate decision lies with you.

Cheers!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018

13. MadM

MadM Member

Happy wife..

The Lady Packers in black cherry WB arrived yesterday.
    The WB is thin, but seems to have a dense structure.
    IMG_20180418_164408.jpg IMG_20180418_164421.jpg

14. Crit_Obs

Crit_Obs Well-Known Member

Woah, this leather looks really different, and really good, in sunlight. Thanks for posting this!

15. Legal Eagles

My Horsehide SD arrived a day early...

Here they are...

I asked for an extra wide welt and standard trim... to me the hand-rolled welt is one of White's best features...

I also went with the double leather sole as I am going to try to use these as fair weather 3 season boots. I was going for a 30s to 40s retro look in horsehide... albeit with a cuban heel.

Ordered from Bakers 3/8 arrived 4/18... not bad...

IMG_3262.jpg

IMG_3263.jpg

IMG_3268.JPG

IMG_3266.JPG

IMG_3265.JPG