• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Netvine

Reaction score
Speaking of HH, my order for a pair of Brown HH just shipped from Bakers. Ordered 3/8 shipped today... arrive next week... pretty quick turnaround. I will post pics when they arrive.

Horse Hide Semi Dress by White's
  • White's Leather: Brown Horse Hide
  • Last: Standard
  • Leather Liner: Red
  • Pull Loops: No Thanks
  • Toe Cap: Medallion Toe Cap
  • Celastic Toe Box: Single Celastic Toe
  • Hardware: Brass Eyes & Hooks
  • Midsole: Single
  • Edge: Brown
  • Heel Base: Standard
  • Heel Lifts: Standard
  • Sole: Double Leather
  • Sole Trim: Standard Trim (Double Row Stitch)
  • Size - Length: 11.5
  • Size - Width: EE (wide)

Please post some pictures when they arrive!

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DC6CCB26-07E3-48F8-9C6F-40B1BA2E27EF.jpeg
Someone was talking about brown dress and how it ages... also in recognition that Whites can make a somewhat dressy boot, these are my 2 year old single leather sole brown dress boots at court today. I polish them from time to time and brush them from time to time, and they are just starting to feel like old friends...

TH3515

Reaction score
View attachment 957271 Someone was talking about brown dress and how it ages... also in recognition that Whites can make a somewhat dressy boot, these are my 2 year old single leather sole brown dress boots at court today. I polish them from time to time and brush them from time to time, and they are just starting to feel like old friends...
Really beautiful. But are you sure that isn't actually black dress? I don't see the brown edges that brown dress has...or did you darken them somehow?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really beautiful. But are you sure that isn't actually black dress? I don't see the brown edges that brown dress has...or did you darken them somehow?

I guarantee they are brown... the edges have become dark brown due to the application of dark brown polish. If you look really closely above the heel, you can see a little of the light brown starting to show through... they need another polish... some people like the lighter leather to show through, I prefer to keep mine polished a uniform dark. If I stripped the polish with acetone, you would see two years of wear... lighter brown showing through the dark surface.

Without the polish, they would look something like this: (not my pic)... which I must admit has a rustic charm as well, but my grandfather (a WWII vet) - who taught me a gentleman polishes and cares for his boots - would roll over in his grave... he would not see "patina" in these boots - he would remind me that you can tell a lot about a man by the way he cares for his shoes and to get some polish and get my lazy butt to work...
mgp2514.jpg

Last edited:

brownies

Reaction score
Hi All, again. Ran into sambam posting some gorgeous pics of their MP boots a great (hundred) pages back.

How do you all view SD vs MP on terms of style. Is one more formal or dressy than the other? The MP looks pretty sleek to me, yet its offerings in leathers such as waxed flesh suggest a more casual boot.

I'm going for something that can be worn in a smart casual setting, at work. Not suits, but smartish. I could pull off waxed flesh, but I'm aiming a bit more formal than that.

Crit_Obs

Reaction score
Neither one is formal/dressy, but YMMV as office cultures vary greatly in regards to what’s acceptable.

brownies

Reaction score
Neither one is formal/dressy, but YMMV as office cultures vary greatly in regards to what’s acceptable.
So, equal? I work in a research institute. I can, and have, gotten away with trainers, sandals, socks and bare foot. I'm looking to spruce myself up a bit.

Crit_Obs

Reaction score
Equal, as in, both are suitable for similar occasions. Considering what you say above, I think it’s best to choose the style that you like more and better matches your outfits: MP for sleeker, contemporary fits with tapered chinos & such, SD to match fuller cuts and ”heritage-inspired” pieces. They are both ”inspired by” but the MP style, I believe, was introduced as a more modern(looking) option.

Crit_Obs

Reaction score
Although it’s worth bearing in mind that the differences are also functional, I would opt for SD purely cos I’m very fond of the arch-ease, something the MP purpotedly has less of... Conversely, if you like your footwear less imposing on the support-front, MP could work better.

brownies

Reaction score
Equal, as in, both are suitable for similar occasions. Considering what you say above, I think it’s best to choose the style that you like more and better matches your outfits: MP for sleeker, contemporary fits with tapered chinos & such, SD to match fuller cuts and ”heritage-inspired” pieces. They are both ”inspired by” but the MP style, I believe, was introduced as a more modern(looking) option.
Thanks. I suspect I have much to learn of style yet. Ive always worn baggy. I'm not even sure why. I bought some Iron Rangers a year ago that I love, and suddenly became aware of people rolling their slim pants up. Ive never worn slim pants, and only roll up cuffs if I'm literally walking on them. With awareness I'm reconsidering some of my wardrobe choices. What I know is I love GYW boots. And maybe shoes, but I started with boots.

brownies

Reaction score
Although it’s worth bearing in mind that the differences are also functional, I would opt for SD purely cos I’m very fond of the arch-ease, something the MP purpotedly has less of... Conversely, if you like your footwear less imposing on the support-front, MP could work better.
A good point. Hard to quantify. I'm actually a little flat footed. Some support would be welcome, but not so much it kills my foot.

Incidentally, and whilst I'm not on my feet all day by any means, I wondered in the past about the use of supports. I used to wear orthopedics. They're expensive and wear out quickly. It took a years, and is still ongoing, but I tried to teach myself to walk with a more raised arch. I figured that would correct my gait with my own muscles and skeleton, rather than allowing my body to be lazy. I'm also pretty poor sighted. Obviously I wear glasses. But I have wondered if that is not just allowing them to stay terrible.

Crit_Obs

Reaction score
A good point. Hard to quantify. I'm actually a little flat footed. Some support would be welcome, but not so much it kills my foot.

Incidentally, and whilst I'm not on my feet all day by any means, I wondered in the past about the use of supports. I used to wear orthopedics. They're expensive and wear out quickly. It took a years, and is still ongoing, but I tried to teach myself to walk with a more raised arch. I figured that would correct my gait with my own muscles and skeleton, rather than allowing my body to be lazy. I'm also pretty poor sighted. Obviously I wear glasses. But I have wondered if that is not just allowing them to stay terrible.

Sounds like we are foot-siblings. Mine are a bit flat as well and I wasn't sure whether I was asking for trouble, purchasing my Smokejumpers; it quickly became apparent that the arch-ease is exactly what the doctor ordered (only he didn't) and now I notice myself naturally walking with a more raised arch also when wearing sneakers. Very individual things, these, with countless variables, but the potential is great if it works for you.

mboon85

Reaction score
Here are my Brown CXL SDs mid hike today. Denim is N&F Elephant 6 22oz in Easy Guy.

Not sure of exact build but they're Brown CXL with single celastic toe.

2F9F2E1F-A977-4B66-B8F8-C971AAE8BA6E.jpeg

Last edited:

Mathfish

Reaction score
Hi All, again. Ran into sambam posting some gorgeous pics of their MP boots a great (hundred) pages back.

How do you all view SD vs MP on terms of style. Is one more formal or dressy than the other? The MP looks pretty sleek to me, yet its offerings in leathers such as waxed flesh suggest a more casual boot.

I'm going for something that can be worn in a smart casual setting, at work. Not suits, but smartish. I could pull off waxed flesh, but I'm aiming a bit more formal than that.

I know you asked about semi and mp's. I talk about my experience with my semi dress boots. I also talked a little about my other White's Boots. You said that you were going to do some more research on your needs.
I have smokejumpers and semi dress. Love the semi dress but even the semi dress is heavy foot wear.
You did not mention but the chukka and the oxford are options.
My vote is for semi dress.
My semi dress are my favorite, i have a bullhide pair and brown roughout pair. The bullhide is lined roughout isn't. Both slide on and off and comfortable day after day.
My #8 cxl 6 inch smokejumpers have the 100 sole so they are for the worst jobs and weather. The smokejumpers are also lined and weigh the most. The semi dress are only 5 inches that one inch makes the semis easier om and off. Also the smokejumpers have a gusset tongue while the semi's have a regular tongue , again making the semi's slide on, while the gusset needs to be folded. The gusset is a great asset on hard work days but unnecessary on light work days.
I also have 8 inch packers in rough out lowers and smoth uppers. Great boots. They have a gusset and are heavy. Overkill for what you are asking about.
If you are concerned about the weights you could see if anyone has an actual weight on the shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads