1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. linafelt

linafelt Distinguished Member

2. mr. burns

mr. burns Senior Member

Here are my 2 year old Bounty hunters in distressed smooth and antique hardware.

Snapchat-1660548070.jpg

3. seidel1910

seidel1910 New Member

Thanks, hendjosh - those look awesome! I think I'm sold on the LTT BH - the fit is definitely right for me, and I like the look of them a lot.

I have a question about leathers, if anyone has thoughts. I have a pair of BHs in distressed smooth, and when I got them I loved the look of the leather. The problem was that they were faily dry and water got into them pretty easily, which is a huge problem because I use them as winter boots. I put on a light coat of Obenaufs and now they're a very dark, flat brown. I'm not too worried about the looks because I beat them up pretty good with bad weather and heavy wear, but I'm wondering if there's a way to lighten them back up a bit. I tried hitting them with some saddle soap and cleaning to try to get some of the LP off without significant effect. Any thoughts on this?

Distressed is a somewhat perplexing leather, as it seems to change color easily with some treatments, and really needs to be treated to resist water at all. Have others had better experiences with distressed than I have? Some of you seem to have pairs in distressed that look great with age. Probably wouldn't order boots in this leather again unless I can figure out a better way to treat them for awful weather without changing the look. I might go with the regular brown next time.

I'm also a bit curious about roughout - it seems like it would just soak up mud, salt, and water in winter, but some here have well-used pairs in RO that seem to be doing fine. How do you keep them looking nice without shellacking them with something that ruins the nap?

Thanks!

4. mr. burns

mr. burns Senior Member

saddle soap, warm water and a tooth brush scrubbing seemed to bring back a lot of the original look.

5. sambam

sambam Senior Member

Available in rough out now. Brown, Black, Red Dog, Distress, Desert Sand which is very, very light tan, Dry tan which is a light shade of brown and to be technical 3 waxed flesh which are rough out but waxed down smooth. The 3 waxed flesh colors are available on all whites construction now.

6. Mathfish

Mathfish Well-Known Member

Can i see a picture of dry tan boots.
    Best photo would be between brown and desert sand for a bdtter color contrast. Thank you

7. NorthCoast

NorthCoast Senior Member

Thanks. Glad you guys are now carrying waxed flesh. I wanted a pair made up in waxed flesh a couple years ago but ended up with a pair of Nick's since that leather was not being carried. I'd rather have had another pair of Whites! ;-)

8. Wrathbringer27

Wrathbringer27 New Member

Hay sambam, i sent out an email to white's enquiry email address to request for a catalog. Havent had a reply in 3 days :(

9. andy b.

andy b. Senior Member

sambam,
    It was my understanding that Brown, Black, Red Dog, and Distressed were the thickest leathers that Whites offered. Where do Desert Sand and Dry Tan fall on the thickness scale? Is Distressed still the thickest of the lighter-colored brown leathers?

10. Mathfish

Mathfish Well-Known Member

I want to buy one last pair of boots in calfskin
    Would you get Alden 403 Or White's semi dress

11. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior Member

WHITES!

12. YTHMNSTRY

YTHMNSTRY Active Member

C236D810-8EE4-418C-B23D-48D286BDC447.jpeg

This is the “Dry Elk Tan”. Sorry I don’t have the other roughouts for comparison but I would say the closest leather to this in color is Distressed Roughout.

13. Legal Eagles

Legal Eagles Well-Known Member

Am I correct in thinking that the Dry Tan / Elk Tan is a thicker version of Brown Dress? And if used smooth side out would look the same as Brown Dress?

14. YTHMNSTRY

YTHMNSTRY Active Member

Yes, it will be thicker than the Brown Dress but not quite as thick as the Oil Tan leathers. The tongue protectors (which I removed the frill from) on the pair in the picture show the smooth side. It’s a bit darker than Brown Dress and in my opinion, doesn’t have a whole lot of character.

15. NorthCoast

NorthCoast Senior Member

Anyone that owns black roughout have any thoughts about maintaining them while they are being used in fall/winter/salt environment?

I'm more of a keep it looking clean and polished footwear person and have only been detracted by leathers like roughout and chamois by the thought of not being able to keep the leather looking fresh.

I'm still not willing to own suede, too many memories of tan chukka's I used to wear to grade school looking like crap in a 4 season climate.