1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. MadM

MadM Member

Hey,

Now I'm home from work, so here are a few more photos of the soft toe.
    for reference, they are size 10E, C461 Last. I hope this helps, let me know if you need more angles.

IMG_20180111_130503.jpg IMG_20180111_130606.jpg IMG_20180111_130642.jpg IMG_20180111_131204.jpg

2. TH3515

TH3515 Senior Member

Double White's incoming...
    Two pairs of Semi Dress are now on their way to me: One black bullhide Swing last I ordered through Bakers, and one brown dress that I picked up from whitesriver on ebay because I was running out of patience waiting for the MTO. Turns out White's were really quick – exactly four weeks from order to shipping notification. So the MTO pair shipped just two days after the brown dress one.

It'll take another couple of days till they show up here in Germany and clear customs (with me paying another few hundred Euros of import duties, sadly...).

I'll post pics when they are finally here.

3. Raminwhites

Raminwhites Member

Congrats! Really curious to see the SD on swing last, I'm going back and forth to decide my next build, it would be a SJ on 4811 or a SD on swing. Looking forward to see your pictures.

4. MadM

MadM Member

I vaguely remember reading something about the mini lug halfsole wearing down pretty fast, and that there is a new sole that has improved wear resistance now.
    Has anybody here had the chance to test out the wear-resistance on the new mini lug?

5. RockyMountain22

RockyMountain22 Active Member

Frankman--

Took a couple days off, just reading your post now.

The Hathorn line of boots comes standard with the 55 last, which is the last White's Semi-Dress are built around. Arch support is robust, and will settle to match your individual feet (all leather construction!).

Now, if you're comparing White's to Wolverines, perhaps someone else will chime in. If you're new to White's, prepare to be blown away!

Cheers!

6. ghkdlcm

ghkdlcm New Member

Thanks so much MadM! It's amazing how much difference the celastic seems to make on the overall toebox shape.

A couple of questions-- is the tongue standard, or did you ask for extra length? Also, what type of outsole is that?

7. MadM

MadM Member

The tongue should be standard SD, i didn't ask for anything specific. The sole is the Vibram 430. It gives good traction without being bulky.
    And yes, the shape of the toebox is much more elegant without the celastic.

8. Legal Eagles

Legal Eagles Well-Known Member

The commando half sole White's previously used did wear down, and would mark like crazy on floors. My latest pair came with the new improved half sole, and it is a winner. No marking, great wear, and good grip. Reminds me of a hard tire type rubber... seems to last forever... sambam has posted about this before. The old commando sole was not bad - except for the marking - but the new one is gangbusters!

9. sambam

sambam Senior Member

Well said. It is an amazing wearing sole. The new one peice inlayed half compo is made out of the same TPU rubber as the mini half lug. Good stuff.

10. TH3515

TH3515 Senior Member

^ Looking forward to seeing it! My black bullhide SD that will be arriving in a few days should have the composite half sole. BTW what profile does that sole have – a shallow chevron pattern like the Vibram 700 or something else entirely? And is the new rubber used on the heels as well or is it still the Quabaug heel?

11. sambam

sambam Senior Member

12. sambam

sambam Senior Member

Same quabaug heel cap. The tread pattern looks just like the 700 but like you said just thinner. But it will outwear the 700.

13. NorthCoast

NorthCoast Senior Member

@sambam quoted you because I wanted to ask if you know what colors of rough-out are currently available?

Thanks!