Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. fuzzyearlobes

fuzzyearlobes Senior member

for boots, I dont think there is much of a difference in application. Depending on who you ask, HH might be a bit more resistant to abrasion, but that doesnt really apply to boots. Thats usually a jacket thing (motorcycle jackets). I think HH is also thinner, and usually has a tighter grain. Im not a hide expert, but I did go through this when getting my motorcycle jacket made. For boots, aside from being a more traditional material, these days its more of a trend than anything else. That said, Im most likely gonna jump on the bandwagon at some point:)

2. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Thanks for the input. I think I may need to do some further research, but I know I tended to like the HH version more at least based on the pictures I saw. I know if I get another boot of this type I'll have to seriously consider a white's semi dress boot.

3. grendel

grendel Senior member

I talked to Kyle about this and he said Chromexcel was his choice for a more casual boot and horse hide was much dressier because it's smoother / shinier.

4. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Thank you

Thats kind of the impression I was getting from looking at the pictures on the website as well.

5. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

yeah, i see what you mean.
    'got the lowered block heels on my SD HH, but i did have a plan b.
    i find White's Cuban too severe, so plan was to get them tapered like the Viberg's once i re-heel.

6. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

It's funny you mention how the SD's block heel stick out like that. I never noticed that characteristic specifically but never liked it much either. Once you point it out, that may be what I don't like about the block heel.

I always assumed that the cuban heel found on Whites & viberg were virtually the same. I'll have to look a bit closer at them. What is it about Viberg's cuban that you prefer over Whites? Or...what's the difference between the two? It took me a while to like White's cuban heel. Now when I see an SD or SJ without a cuban heel, it looks to be lacking something, IMHO.

7. the shivman

the shivman Senior member

I wouldn't even call it a Cuban heel, it's more like a western style heel that you see on Cowboy boots, which kind of go with White's aesthetics. If you are going to get a block heel you should just get a more European/Northeastern inspired boot like Red Wings. Viberg is kind of a blend between the two styles.

8. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Does anyone have any pictures of black horsehide after some wear? I have seen Brown, but not black. I know it's a good leather, but it seems to "crease" quite a bit in wear, and I wonder how that looks over time.

Regaring the Whites vs Viberg heel, I agree that Viberg strikes a nice middle ground between the drastic taper of White's cuban and a block. I think they get it just right. The heel options are the main thing that's holding me up on ordering a Whites boot. The cuban is too tapered for me, and the block hangs so far over the back, as some have noticed. Either a flush block or a less severe taper would seal the deal for me.

9. el duderino

el duderino Senior member

Here's my black pair, close to a year wear on them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012

10. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

SD HH x Bison: current heel shape
    [​IMG]

Proposed Viberg heels
    [​IMG]

you can always have the block heels sanded down by your local cobbler. quite simple & straightforward adjustment, imo

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012

11. supersalami

supersalami New Member

I've read every single page of this... I'm obsessed with these beautiful boots! Just sharing my own.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

IIIrd Icon,
    Thanks for sharing. I know what you mean now about the Viberg heel. Much more different than I would have thought.

For reference, I just asked a friend to take some pictures to compare the Whites & Viberg heel. He recently took ownership of the Viberg Service boot (mocha CXL) and has had the White's Classic Work boot (brown CXL) for a couple of years. I just sent him this link so perhaps he can chime in on any comfort and aesthetic differences.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last thing I need is another pair of work boots but Whites & Viberg are just in a completely different league than my original brown Wolverine 1K's and my RW Beckman/9011.

I was all set earlier this year to build a pair of SD's in brown dress & cuban heel when my wife surprised me with a pair of RW Beckman's out of the blue. I was so shocked that she remembered which boot. Maybe she listens to me after all when i'm droning on about apparel & footwear [​IMG]. I figured my boot needs were taken care of but I keep coming back to the SD. It's a curse.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012

13. fuzzyearlobes

fuzzyearlobes Senior member

The wolverine 1000's are not even in the same league as Whites or Viberg's. In fact, all the 1000's I have seen and handled seemed flimsy and cheap. I personally prefer the Viberg heel. I have a lowerd cuban on my White's and I might just have a standard height done next time around. I kinda wish it was more modern to be honest, but whatever, its a small complaint.

14. meso

meso Senior member

The form factor of 1000 miles is smaller and they always feel too light & diminutive.
    White's are far more substantial and heavier, a much better compliment to substantial jeans and workwear.
    I even vastly prefer red wing beckmans to wolverine 1000 mile boots.
    I've kept a pair of chestnut 9013's around after selling the 1000 miles I've had over the years.

15. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Love to see a full side shot of each of these...