• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neognosis

Reaction score
Thank you. I've worn them 2 full days so far, with a day off in between, and no squeak so far....

hkpm

Reaction score
Did you notice that they're very snug in the middle, the aides of the foot, but with a fuller toe box? What last did you get? Semi dress or standard? Took awhile to get used to mine but worth it. It gets hot here too so I just wear gold toes even though my feet swell as well.

Welcome to the SJ club.

Since you've mentioned it, I do feel a little bit snug as the side of my feet when comparing with my semi dress last bounty hunter. It is a standard smoke jumper.

Do you just get used to it, or the boot get better with wear? Say it stretched a bit?

TH3515

Reaction score
^I wouldn't expect oiltan leather to stretch. I think it is one of its strengths that it doesn't. At all. However, it will become a bit softer and adapt to your foot. At least that's what my brown oiltan Smokejumpers did. The actual width didn't change, so the fit is just as snug as it was when they were new.

kekekekai

Reaction score
Finally got them. My new semi dress! Sorry I don't have close up pictures of it. Will take some tonight but here is the outfit I wore today to go with it.

12_E57529_98_F1_4973_9802_2_EF7650490_D7.jpg

TH3515

Reaction score
^very nice! Any details on the build? It looks similar to what I've been thinking about for my next pair. I think I can see black dress leather, double leather sole, medallion toe cap...
Do show some closeups!

Mathfish

Reaction score
I wanted to address the squeak issue.
I do not have the answer but i noticed my leather belt that is untreated squeaks when the leather parts ride against each other while tightening the belt. This got me thinking about the sole, instep, heal stack are probably unteated leathers. So because we all have different gaits and sizes some of us cause the leathers to ride against each other. Or because our size and gait others force these leathers to stabilize and not squeak. The other issue i noticed on my boots is how i remove the boot. If i put pressure on the heel stack while i remove my foot from the boot i am causing enough pressure to cause heel stack seperation even if is tiny. This may be a cause of squeaks and an avenue for dirt, salt, and liquids to enter and break down the leathers. I have found using my cowboy boot jack to remove my boots puts no pressure on the stack.

Neognosis

Reaction score
On mine, the squeak was not in the heel. It was right under where my toes bend. It is on my retro oxfords too, but only after wearing them a few hours.

So far, the squeaks in my semis have not come back since sambam rebuilt them. I just wore them for 30 consecutive hours of travel and a full day outside in the desert... no squeeks have returned so far.

6D04EACF-A5CE-4CF0-9411-9B923BDB9CC1.jpeg

kekekekai

Reaction score
^very nice! Any details on the build? It looks similar to what I've been thinking about for my next pair. I think I can see black dress leather, double leather sole, medallion toe cap...
Do show some closeups!

As requested.

Complete specs:
  • Last: Classic 461 Last
  • Toe Vamp Leather: Black Horse Hide
  • Upper (Shaft) Leather: Black Horse Hide
  • Leather Liner: Black
  • Pull Loops: No
  • Toe Cap: Medallion Toe Cap
  • Celastic Toe Box: Single Celastic Toe
  • Hardware: Brass Eyes & Hooks
  • Midsole: Double
  • Edge: Brown
  • Heel Base: 90 Degree Blocked off Heel (Traveler)
  • Heel Lifts: Standard
  • Sole: Vibram Composition Half-sole
  • Sole Trim: Standard Trim (Double Row Stitch)

IMG_2562.jpg

IMG_2563.jpg

IMG_2564.jpg

TH3515

Reaction score
Excellent! The horsehide looks great. How do you like the double midsole?

kekekekai

Reaction score
The horsehide is very tough and slightly a bit harder to break in than my chromexcel whites. May get leather laces so it doesnt hurt the ankles as much and a good shoe shine

tamakyo

Reaction score
Alright, I did it. I just placed my order for the plaintoe MPs in cinnamon waxed flesh (first pair of White's boots, first nice pair of boots ever, really).

I really hope the plaintoes come with the speed hooks, as shown on White's website (https://whitesboots.com/product/whites-mp-dainite-sole/), since the captoe pictures don't show speed hooks at all...

Anyone have any ideas on how long these are taking to ship out?

yusufg

Reaction score
I figured I might as well post up a few pictures of my whites boots. I guess you could say that mine are kind of simi custom. When I bought them they were not one of White's stock styles. The store where I bought them ordered a bunch of them in this configuration.

p550190130-3.jpg

p856723192-3.jpg
Atleast

What is the configuration of these? They look like a standard Semi Dress models.
And Is that a single or a double leather sole?

mogili222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any idea what the difference is between the "Vibram 430 Mini Vib" and the "Vibram Composition Half sole"?

I have had the composition half sole on my boots before and i liked how with the uninterrupted heel stack. Does the Vibram 430 Mini Vib also have the same uninterrupted heel stack?

Coudl anybody with this sole post a picture or two?

Thanks.

mrdiamond

Reaction score
I wanted to address the squeak issue.
I do not have the answer but i noticed my leather belt that is untreated squeaks when the leather parts ride against each other while tightening the belt. This got me thinking about the sole, instep, heal stack are probably unteated leathers. So because we all have different gaits and sizes some of us cause the leathers to ride against each other. Or because our size and gait others force these leathers to stabilize and not squeak. The other issue i noticed on my boots is how i remove the boot. If i put pressure on the heel stack while i remove my foot from the boot i am causing enough pressure to cause heel stack seperation even if is tiny. This may be a cause of squeaks and an avenue for dirt, salt, and liquids to enter and break down the leathers. I have found using my cowboy boot jack to remove my boots puts no pressure on the stack.

My squeaks don't come from the heel or really the sole either. On both pairs it's under the toes, but not right under, just back from where the toes bend on a step. It sounds and feels from the inside of the boot. When I asked about it when it started up on my first pair, Bakers said it was coming from the leather shank loosening up.

Dingus Berry

Reaction score
Any idea what the difference is between the "Vibram 430 Mini Vib" and the "Vibram Composition Half sole"?

I have had the composition half sole on my boots before and i liked how with the uninterrupted heel stack. Does the Vibram 430 Mini Vib also have the same uninterrupted heel stack?

Coudl anybody with this sole post a picture or two?

Thanks.
Pretty certain the 430 does not have an uninterrupted heel stack :|

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads