• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warpiper

Reaction score
IMG_8016.JPG
Here are the squeakers

chicken1616

Reaction score
Neognosis, I had a squeak that was unbearable, as well. I took the boots to White's and they worked on them and then declared that they were fixed. The squeak came right back and was even worse. I oiled the boots a lot and tried wearing it in but nothing helped. Eventually, it got so bad that I took them back in. They were nice enough to resole them under warranty. Problem solved! For a while. Squeak came back. It was making me absolutely crazy so I thought: what do I have to lose? I soaked them with a garden hose while I was working outside. I have heard it said that you shouldn't do this but I figured either this will ruin them and I won't wear them, it wont't do anything, I will still have the squeak and won't wear them, or it will somehow, magically, work. Once the boots were dry, no more squeak in the right boot, which is the one that was the offensive party. I was so excited! I love these boots and wear them to work every other day. I couldn't bear the thought of being without them.

A few days ago, the left one started squeaking. They are getting the garden hose again this weekend!
Get a can of silicone spray that has the little straw attachment. Spray it in between the leather layers in the sole. They usually have a little gap(s). Spray a lot. See if it helps.

chicken1616

Reaction score
I know a lot of you guys like the "patina". But it is really not good for your boots. Cleaning the sole edges regularly and applying something like Fiebings Acrylic Resolene will prevent those layers from drying out. Just a thought.

Warpiper

Reaction score
Chicken, I don't know if it's a coincidence that you mention "patina" right after I post a picture of my boots or not. These are work boots and get a little bit of abuse. The reason I had them out was that I was saddle soaping them and then hosing them down. I will be treating the leather today with Saphir and oiling the soles and edges with Obenhoafs. (you know what I mean.) I don't want anybody getting the idea that I don't take care of my boots and turn me in to the authorities for neglect or abuse.

Warpiper

Reaction score
P.S. chicken, thanks for the advice about the squeaks. I will look at the silicone option if the problem persists.

chicken1616

Reaction score
No judgements here. Just trying to help. When I worked for the railroad, I completely washed my boots with Dawn, re-Obenauf'd, and re-did the edges about every three weeks. I had to.

Warpiper

Reaction score
I'm not working nearly as hard as a railroad guy. I'm an electrician of sorts working indoors building (ironically) boot dryers. It's ironic since I would never force dry a pair of my boots. They are sold to ski lodges, college and professional football teams.

petersim

Reaction score
.... I will be treating the leather today with Saphir and oiling the soles and edges with Obenhoafs. ....

you know, someone had said a year or so ago that using oil on the sole edges would dissolve the glue that holds them together and cause delamination. seemed to make sense, so I stopped using any kind of oil [including Obenauf's LP] on the sole edges. I just use edge treatment, now. I do still use oil on the leather sole bottoms. for what it's worth....

I'd be curious what other people's experience is.

andy b.

Reaction score
Peter,

I recall such a conversation, but I still use Obenaufs on my sole edges and haven't noticed any issues.I don't pile it on thick, just enough to darken the edges.

Andy B

you know, someone had said a year or so ago that using oil on the sole edges would dissolve the glue that holds them together and cause delamination. seemed to make sense, so I stopped using any kind of oil [including Obenauf's LP] on the sole edges. I just use edge treatment, now. I do still use oil on the leather sole bottoms. for what it's worth....

I'd be curious what other people's experience is.

Warpiper

Reaction score
IMG_8019.JPG
Here they are after Renovateur, Saphir neutral and Obenauf's leather oil on the edges.

Neognosis

Reaction score
Neognosis, I had a squeak that was unbearable, as well. I took the boots to White's and they worked on them and then declared that they were fixed. The squeak came right back and was even worse. I oiled the boots a lot and tried wearing it in but nothing helped. Eventually, it got so bad that I took them back in. They were nice enough to resole them under warranty. Problem solved! For a while. Squeak came back. It was making me absolutely crazy so I thought: what do I have to lose? I soaked them with a garden hose while I was working outside. I have heard it said that you shouldn't do this but I figured either this will ruin them and I won't wear them, it wont't do anything, I will still have the squeak and won't wear them, or it will somehow, magically, work. Once the boots were dry, no more squeak in the right boot, which is the one that was the offensive party. I was so excited! I love these boots and wear them to work every other day. I couldn't bear the thought of being without them.

A few days ago, the left one started squeaking. They are getting the garden hose again this weekend!

My White's oxfords are squeaking badly too.
If they can't fix this, I'm done with White's. This is ridiculous. 100 % of my white's (2 for 2) squeak so badly, I can't even wear them on the factory floor unless the machines are running. And forget into the office...

I'll try the tips you guys gave for my oxfords. Haven't heard anything from White's on the ones I sent in yet. But I have nothing to loose, as as this point I have paid nearly a thousand dollars for two pairs of footwear that I can't wear 90% of the time....

kekekekai

Reaction score
Anyone know what is the prime cause of the squeak? I'm concerned now that I have 4 pairs. Not that I use it for anything more than walking around town or in the office but that would be a deal breaker for me on this brand if Whites does not come with solutions.

mr. burns

Reaction score
Mine don't squeak, per se, but they definitely are audible while walking. More like the kinda crunchy sound of leather rubbing and flexing together. There have been times, though, where elements within the sole seem to stick to each other a bit while the boots are bending during walking and it has caused a strange feeling on the bottom of my feet. It's almost like a slight vibration whenever the boots bend to push off while walking and causes my foot to feel slightly fatigued. Think that's mainly happened after they've gotten a little wet and something in the sole is still drying and only on the left boot. Haven't had that problem lately though. Definitely something I've thought of bringing up to them when I send them in for resole.

Is this something you're aware of happening @sambam ?

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I get a little bit of squeaking, off and on, but not like the guys above. It always seems to me, sort of feels like, it's coming from the leather midsole layers..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads