Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. chicken1616

chicken1616 Senior member

The #38 Swing fits my foot best, also. However, it does not have as much arch support.

2. yumacool

yumacool Active Member

I have three pairs of White's boots and love them. Recently, I have been looking around on Ebay and have become interested in picking up a pair of Viberg or Truman boots. I have not personally seen or tried on either of them. Can anyone compare/contrast these boots to a White's SD boot? I wear a 10D in Whites. I am curious about sizing, level of arch support, etc. I get the impression that neither of these can match White's in terms of arch support. Thanks in advance ...

3. gte872h

gte872h Senior member

I have a few pairs of Vibergs on various lasts. I'm a size 10E in the 55 (semi dress) last and a size 10 in Viberg. The fit varies across their range of lasts. My toes can feel a bit crunched on some of my 2030s due to long toes and the low profile vamp shape. The 310 last is similar to White's 461 last with the upturned toe. The 110 last is close to the shape of the semi dress last but with a lowered heel. The 110 has virtually no arch support due to the fact that the 110 was originally derived from their work boot line which included an insert. The 2040 and 2045 lasts are based on Munson type derivations. The 1035 last has a low profile but plenty of width in the toe region. The 2005 last is their engineer boot last with a raised heel like the 310 has.

You are correct about the arch support differences. Viberg does have decent arch support but nothing like White's offers. Viberg uses a steel shank instead of the leather shank that White's uses. The steel shank keeps the mid foot region rigid but definitely helps my comfort level since I deal with pain if I don't have proper support. The higher heeled lasts (310 and 2005) have more arch support vs their standard 1" heel offerings.

In the past I have sized down a half size for some of Viberg's wider lasts, but I've regretted doing this. I'd much rather wear a thicker sock and/or use a thin leather insert instead of trying to size down too much. Viberg's 320 last is huge though and sizing down a half size was the right call.

4. holyzoo

holyzoo New Member

After much research on this site, I ordered this pair of White's Semi-Dress Boots from Baker Shoe and I'm very happy with how things turned out. Only thing is they didn't do the leather liner in red, but I wasn't going to return them because of that.

They are hefty boots - heavier than any other boot I own. I admit, my ankles aren't too happy with them laced all the way up, so I'm keeping them tied without the speed hooks for now. The arch-ease slope is pretty extreme, so I put a thin padded insole and it's more comfortable to me.

Here's the order details:

• Last: Standard
    • Toe Vamp Leather: Black Chrome Excel by Horween
    • Upper (Shaft) Leather: Black Chrome Excel by Horween
    • Leather Liner: Red
    • Pull Loops: No Thanks
    • Celastic Toe Box: Single Celastic Toe
    • Toe Cap: No Thanks
    • Hardware: Antique Eyes & Hooks
    • Edge: Brown
    • Midsole: Single
    • Heel Base: Standard
    • Sole: Vibram 700
    • Sole Trim: Close Trim (Single Row Stitch)
    • Size - Length: 9.5
    • Size - Width: D (medium)

P1088148.jpg P1088151.jpg P1088155.jpg P1088158.jpg P1088159.jpg P1088160.jpg P1088161.jpg P1088162.jpg P1088167.jpg P1088171.jpg P1088172.jpg P1088175.jpg P1088180.jpg P1088181.jpg P1088182.jpg

5. TH3515

TH3515 Senior member

^ nice! Be sure to also post some pics when you have a few miles on them.
    I am becoming more and more convinced that the "red" lining - although they keep offering it - is actually nonexistant. All the "red" linings I've seen in pics lately have had more of a tan colour.

6. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

^ Yes, that is what they consider "red."

Nice boots!

7. sambam

sambam Senior member

We do linings in three colors. Black, creme and canyon (which is in the pic above)

8. holyzoo

holyzoo New Member

Ah, ok this is very helpful. I guess Baker Shoe needs to update their website. They state Black, Creme, Red, Tan as options. With all that said, I do like how they turned out. :)

9. yumacool

yumacool Active Member

My first pair of White's SD had a single leather sole and I wore them out in mostly urban walking in about 8 months. I have one other pair with leather soles on which I had a cobbler install Topy's, which I would highly recommend. They provide more grip to prevent slips and slides, plus they greatly extend the life of the sole. I had them installed two and 1/2 years ago and they are holding up well. My other White's have rubber/composition soles.

10. Legal Eagles

Legal Eagles Active Member

sambam... I noticed you are offering a Danite sole on the MP line (big fan of Danite soles)... does this mean you could also add the Danite sole to a Semi-Dress if a customer ordered it? What would be the upcharge?
    Thanks,

11. sambam

sambam Senior member

We are only offering it on the MP and chukkas for now. Not sure on the lead times for that sole yet.