• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mogili222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple pictures Baker's sent me after they put dainite soles on my BHs. I think it turned out great..

DWjwza2.jpg

tYbdi0V.jpg

mlwdp

Reaction score
I think the additional height, and the added heel counter of a smokejumper add too much required shell and extra stitching to be feasible.

I think Baker's has some shell left. But as mentioned, the only available build is a Semi-dress in the 55 last, and you have to order it through Kyle.

I would guess that the Shell that White's will be offering will most likely have to be ordered directly through White's. I would guess that it will have similar resistrictions as what Baker's is offering, and will only have stock builds available, similar to the MP line, but only Sambam knows.

I see. Ironically, I found a Smokejumper done in Shell Cordovan:

http://selvedgeforum.com/forum/inde...6.0;msg=1213679#sthash.WPfIUu2U.ndmTLRso.dpbs

I'm guessing this boot is roughly $2k usd.

Sambam, any thoughts or input on this?

motojobobo

Reaction score
Sambam,
FWIW...I fully support RockyMountain's above suggestions for information I'd like to see/have in White's redesigned website. Especially the arch support info which is possibly the most uniquely and distinctive feature of this brand over most/all others in my view. Of course the ArchEase info is tied to the last, so that must also be covered/explained in detail.

Happy to see White's revamping its online presence and look forward to the announced shell cordovan options!

mr. burns

Reaction score
Here are a couple pictures Baker's sent me after they put dainite soles on my BHs. I think it turned out great..

DWjwza2.jpg

tYbdi0V.jpg

That did turn out really nice. Did you get them to do a tapered heel, more like viberg? I'm going to be due for heel and sole within the year probably and I really like how the heel tapers like that.

mogili222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That did turn out really nice. Did you get them to do a tapered heel, more like viberg? I'm going to be due for heel and sole within the year probably and I really like how the heel tapers like that.
Yup. I actually asked them to mimic the taper of the viberg heel. I think it turned out great.. I will post more pictures once they ship these out and i get them.

Having some experience with dainite now and with the number of shoes in my rotation, I don't think I will ever need a another rebuild on this pair..

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@sambam One thing about the website that is confusing: When you click the link for "shop customizable boots" it takes you to a page that has a handful of non-customizable boots and a bunch of accessories (laces, grease, etc). Is something wrong..?

YTHMNSTRY

Reaction score
I just got an email that the boots I ordered in May have shipped!
I'll try to post pics once they arrive.

Here are the specs:

Farmer Rancher
LAST: C461
LEATHER: Black Oil Tan Roughout
PULL LOOPS: Yes
LEATHER LINER: No
LACE DESIGN: Standard
CELASTIC TOE BOX: No Thanks
HARDWARE: Nickle Eyes & Hooks
HEIGHT: 6
TOP: Rolled Top
MIDSOLE: Single + half slip
EDGE: Natural
HEEL: Standard
SOLE: Vibram 2021 Sand
SIZE-LENGTH: 10
SIZE-WIDTH: D

Got them today!

IMG_2165.JPG

sambam

Reaction score
@sambam One thing about the website that is confusing: When you click the link for "shop customizable boots" it takes you to a page that has a handful of non-customizable boots and a bunch of accessories (laces, grease, etc). Is something wrong..?
We are slowly building the site. Our stocked items will be put on the site first. We are working on it as fast as we can

YTHMNSTRY

Reaction score
That's a boot! What made you go with Famer Rancher instead of the others like a Bounty Hunter etc?
To be honest, I already had a pair of Farmer Ranchers on the C461 and I really liked the fit so I just stuck with it. I believe the Bounty Hunters are on the 55 last. I've tried some on before but for my feet, the C461 is a better fit. I also have a pair of original Packers in 10.5D that fit well.

RockyMountain22

Reaction score

ythmnstry -- I really like how your new boots look! Very sharp presence.

Can you tell me what you think of that sole option? I think why I have resisted that series so much, is being soured by the RW version of the vibram version. I have never experience it in person - is it hard, soft, squishy, firm, grippy ... ?

Cheers!

YTHMNSTRY

Reaction score
ythmnstry -- I really like how your new boots look! Very sharp presence.

Can you tell me what you think of that sole option? I think why I have resisted that series so much, is being soured by the RW version of the vibram version. I have never experience it in person - is it hard, soft, squishy, firm, grippy ... ?

Cheers!

Thanks!

The sole isn't hard but it is firm and supportive. I have the same sole on my other pair and I've never had a problem with slipping or anything like that. They would be fine in snow but probably not great on ice. It is perfect for warehouse work or anything where you're mostly on concrete or other hard flooring. They will wear down faster than the other White's options but a resole will be less expensive.

Rolanberry

Reaction score
Sambam, would you have any sizing advice for the MP's built on the Barrie last, and how the length and width might compare to the same size 55 last (Semi-dress last)?

Thank you.

marvin100

Reaction score
My White's oxfords are squeaking after 9 months of polite reticence. Any recourse?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads