Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. mlwdp

mlwdp Active Member

How is the durability of black calf leather?

2. chicken1616

chicken1616 Senior member

That's easy. They are more slippery on snow and ice. They don't last as long as the 430 and 269. They are not horrible, like the original commando mini lug, they just aren't as good. I have probably 6-7 pairs with the 700. I'll wear them with that sole, but when it comes time for a resole, I'll look for a 269 or 430, if I can. One issue, though, is White's does not carry the 269 or 430 in bigger sizes. I just had the bottom end rebuilt on my Electrical Hazards, and only had a choice of the 100 or 700 because of the size (13 1/2 F).
    I have noticed I have to take more care in walking with the 700 in the winter, just like the 100. Even with certain types of flooring, if it's wet. I finally just started wearing ice treads on the 100 at work. The 269 has risen to the top, of all the choices, for me. They aren't the best in a lot of snow, but for the typical shoveled sidewalk, they are pretty decent. The compound seems fairly soft, but it does not wear like the 700. The 430 has some of the 269's pattern on the sides, but it doesn't touch because the main lug pattern sticks out farther.
    There are brands of shoes with proprietary soles that are better soles than any of these. But these are the ones we have a choice of.
    While we are on the subject. I have a pair of SD's with a leather sole and my Travelers used to have the half sole. These soles simply do not cut in in rain, and more so in winter. That water will go straight through that leather, and your feet will be cold and wet. I actually kind of like the leather sole in the dry, for some reason. It has actually lasted much longer than I thought it would, and it is light and flexible. That said, I would resole with the 269, for more versatility. The 269 is pretty flexible, although not quite as much.
    One more thing. The 100 I am talking about is the 100F. The 100R is a little more secure on ice.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017 at 7:09 AM
  3. hkpm

hkpm Senior member

I could tell you that my semi dress (unline), BH (unline) and oxford (lined), the heels would not rub against my ankle.

The red wing I recently purchased, 875, which is also my first red wing, give me blister every time I wear. I really want to throw them away......

4. RockyMountain22

RockyMountain22 Active Member

Great detail, chicken. I specifically have the 700 for my warm-weather F-R and indoor/dry boots. Haven't put enough miles on them to notice if aggressive wear-down on various surfaces is even an issue for me. Something like 4 months and 240 pounds on a taller frame. It has been a great sole choice for everything I intended them for. Now, if I encounter wet grass, floors or something else, I know not to blindly stride through (most of the time)!

All my other boots have the 430 sole option, which does absolutely everything I've asked it to do -- heavy winter use in the Rockies aside! BTW, winter with the 430 was fine, with snow activites deep enough to cover the vamp lacing. No issues with wet, slushy or crossing packed snow areas. Fully functional during the other 3 seasons, also.

I expect that almost every sole configuration will be a compromise relative to icy conditions. Think racing slicks compared to those designed with tread patterns. Remember, ice is ice. But hey, stuff happens. Now if you know you'll be in certain conditions, i.e.: you work outdoors in a rail yard during winter, you're in-and-out of nasty weather throughout the day, well, we plan accordingly. And that means, either 1- having one pair for all conditions, with a do-it-all sole choice, or 2- having multiple pairs available. More tools = more options.

I do like trying out the idea of the leather sole in the hot, dry months here in the high desert. Makes sense -- just like ranchers and others have worn for years.

Cheers!

5. RockyMountain22

RockyMountain22 Active Member

hkpm, I can tell you none of my White's (or Hathorn) boots have ever given me a blister; not during break in, not if I haven't worn a pair in a while, not ever. I credit the accuracy of their fitting process and last designs for this blessing. None of my boots have a liner, most are oil tanned leathers. There was some occasional discomfort during break in around the ankle joint, etc., but nothing like what I experienced from other brands, even though White's has thicker leather, tighter construction and so on.

Something I noticed after going through many different pairs of RW, their lasts simply do not match my feet at all. They are typically designed for the majority, akin to mil boots of today. I have been infinitely more happy and satisfied since moving to White's back in '15. And the hundreds and hundreds spent on the others? Simply the price of experience for my education.

One you know, you cannot un-know.

Cheers!

6. chicken1616

chicken1616 Senior member

I agree everything is a compromise. There is just nothing the 700 does at least as well as the 430 or 269. I have the 700 and will continue to use it. It is the default sole for a lot of White's. The 700's and 100F have put me on my ass a lot in the winter, even while being careful. I would be perfectly satisfied with having the 430 and 269 on all my boots.
    BTW, I am a little north of 240:colgate:, so the wear thing may be indicative of me, to some extent. That v-bar in the middle of the 700 seems to go away fast, leaving it slick, with not a lot around it. The compound seems harder, but wears faster. It is an older design. There are compounds which are soft and wear long, of which the 269 seems to be.
    Bottom line, if you have a 700, use it. If you have an option, the 269 or 430 are better.

7. meso

meso Senior member

Five (?) year old semi-dress boots with block heel. Natural CXL looks better every time I shine them up!

nattycxl - 1.jpg

8. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Classics.

9. meso

meso Senior member

I probably wear those more than any other pair, too!