• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NorthCoast

Reaction score
My new pair of SD on the 38 Swing last... black horsehide...
Whites hit a home run with the new commando sole... very tough, non-marking, and feels great...
I like the black horsehide... shines up really nice... has a unique "sheen"...

View attachment 133403 View attachment 133405 View attachment 133407 View attachment 133408 View attachment 133409

This is the build...

1 x Horse Hide Semi Dress by White's
SKU: 2332HH
  • Last: #38 Swing Last
  • Toe Vamp Leather: Black Horse Hide
  • Upper (Shaft) Leather: Black Horse Hide
  • Leather Liner: Red
  • Pull Loops: No Thanks
  • Toe Cap: Medallion Toe Cap
  • Celastic Toe Box: Single Celastic Toe
  • Hardware: Antique Eyes & Hooks
  • Midsole: Double
  • Edge: Natural
  • Heel Base: Standard
  • Heel Lifts: Standard
  • Sole: Commando Mini Lug Half Sole
  • Sole Trim: Standard Trim (Double Row Stitch)
  • Size - Length: 11
  • Size - Width: D (medium)

I like this build minus the speed hooks and would like to add the black single row stitching.

Enjoy!

chicken1616

Reaction score
Anyone know what the measurement difference is between different widths and half lengths? As in, fractional differences between a B and C width and the same for an 11 and 11.5 length.
Here is a link to a pretty good chart.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/shoesizing.html

If you will notice, theoretically there is a slight change in width, as you change size. For instance a "D" width in size 12 is 4.3". In size 13, it is 4.4".
Of course, this is theoretical. What really ought to be paid attention to is where the widest part of your foot is, compared to the widest part of the boot. Also, your arch position(where it is on your foot) and length is important.

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
My F-Rs have taken everything I have put them through without so much as a hiccup, and even tough I do my best to take exceptional care of my investments - my wife still refers to the rough out pair as "fancy boots."

We do not see "working" pairs shown off here too often, probably because they're too busy working! But we know they're out there, so how are you using your boots?

I am curious - has anyone taken their boots on adventure? Not speaking of inappropriate uses (i.e. semi dress for mountain climbing or insulated packers on african safari), but trekking around the globe, trips into different climates, worked a contract job in unfamiliar environments? Operate on construction sites or maintain field equipment in the high desert? Maybe heavy equipment maintenance or architect?

Share if you like - privacy is respected here, too!

Cheers!

mr. burns

Reaction score
I use mine for work in a warehouse environment. Lots of walking and lifting and getting scuffed up by carts/pallets/shelves etc. Nothing extreme, though.

sambam

Reaction score
I think the otter is pebbled and voyager smooth. I believe they are both meant to be more waterproof and are silicone tanned. Sambam should comment on this, as I would not mind hearing about them, either! I would definitely not go with CXL on the lower end.
Correct on silicone tanned but voyager is pebbled and otter is smooth. Otter is our most water resistant.

chicken1616

Reaction score
Correct on silicone tanned but voyager is pebbled and otter is smooth. Otter is our most water resistant.
Thanks, sambam! What weight are these compared to, say, brown smooth? I have a pair of Smoke's in #38 Swing Last. I got them as orphans from Drew's. They are smooth Red dog and lined. However, the tongue, and only the tongue, is silicone tanned(I guess Otter). I guess whoever originally ordered them did not want to get the top of their foot wet;)

SoyBoy2

Reaction score
@sambam - I have a pair of White's Engineer boots in Black Chrome Excel by Horween - they took a good stretch to break in - but now they are like butter-:)
If I were to order a pair of Brown Rough Out as specified in the Baker's web site - would that leather be the Brown Chrome Excel by Horween only in rough out - or is the Brown Rough Out a different leather altogether.

gte872h

Reaction score
@sambam - I have a pair of White's Engineer boots in Black Chrome Excel by Horween - they took a good stretch to break in - but now they are like butter-:)
If I were to order a pair of Brown Rough Out as specified in the Baker's web site - would that leather be the Brown Chrome Excel by Horween only in rough out - or is the Brown Rough Out a different leather altogether.

I'm pretty sure brown roughout would be the reverse side of their oil tanned heavyweight leather.

SoyBoy2

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure brown roughout would be the reverse side of their oil tanned heavyweight leather.
I ended up speaking to Kyle at Baker's and I do believe you are correct. The RO is a bit heavier than the Horween. I just May go for the Distressed RO, non celastic 10" (a bit cooler than my 12")

RockyMountain22

Reaction score

Sambam I have heard from differing sources - erroneously it seems - on the relative weights of the silicone tanned leathers. Will you share more detail on the Voyager and Otter leathers please?

Cheers!

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
Questions regarding the Semi Dress model

I actually do not have a single pair of SD boots among my pairs - I always gravitated to the traditional design of the F-R model and it's all-around robust bulletproofedness (is that a word?), even with dress brown leather for "office" boots.

For those of you sporting the SD model, what brought you to that particular choice? Was it for a more solid option to say, an Indy boot? Foot support issues? Purely aesthetic reasons? Or maybe the desire for a traditional, high quality pair of footwear that will outlive you and is a tangible way to connect with how America used to be?

I had many reasons myself, and with the SD supremely popular with our members, I am very curious. Most recently, I wanted a warm weather pair and chose the 6" F-R with brown dress leather as opposed to branching out to the SD. It looks very sharp and under pants, someone can't really tell you're not wearing shoes.

Having said that, I may STILL end up with a pair of SD, eventually, although that's exactly why I have the latest pair. At least it's not as expensive as sailing boats or racing horses. Does anyone have a pair of black oil SD they can share?

Cheers!

hkpm

Reaction score

I actually do not have a single pair of SD boots among my pairs - I always gravitated to the traditional design of the F-R model and it's all-around robust bulletproofedness (is that a word?), even with dress brown leather for "office" boots.

For those of you sporting the SD model, what brought you to that particular choice? Was it for a more solid option to say, an Indy boot? Foot support issues? Purely aesthetic reasons? Or maybe the desire for a traditional, high quality pair of footwear that will outlive you and is a tangible way to connect with how America used to be?

I had many reasons myself, and with the SD supremely popular with our members, I am very curious. Most recently, I wanted a warm weather pair and chose the 6" F-R with brown dress leather as opposed to branching out to the SD. It looks very sharp and under pants, someone can't really tell you're not wearing shoes.

Having said that, I may STILL end up with a pair of SD, eventually, although that's exactly why I have the latest pair. At least it's not as expensive as sailing boats or racing horses. Does anyone have a pair of black oil SD they can share?

Cheers!

I have a pair of SD and bounty hunter.
To me, I like the bounty hunter more because of the height of the boot.
When I lace the SD, the lace end up being too close to my ankle.
Then when I start walking, it create a weird feeling, like hindering the movement of the ankle and the foot.
It does not happen when I wear the bounty hunter.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cheers!

I am an attorney who works in an office environment... I am not a wilderness fire fighter, nor a farmer, nor a rancher, nor a bounty hunter. I spend zero time in the wild, I am more likely to be in an airport than on a farm, and more likely to be on asphalt and concrete than in the forest or the field. For me the Smoke-jumper, FR, or BH would be overkill for my daily needs, would look strange in my work environment, and would be more product than I need.

At the same time I appreciate quality and love the idea of rebuildable customizable boots made in the USA. I am of the mind that you buy the best and only cry once. That being said, Whites offer the SD for people like me... I think a 5" SD is a perfect urban, suburban, or indoor type boot. A SJ, FR, or BH would look vastly out of place on me, just as a french calf SD would look out of place on a wilderness firefighter.

To each their own, but I wear a semidress boot for the same reason I drive a 4 door sedan and not a Humvee... it works for my lifestyle, and the Humvee would be more expensive, larger, unwieldy, and a total waste of money for the uses to which I would put it.

We are truly blessed to have the selection however, and I am eagerly awaiting White's new MP boot... in whiskey shell... who is with me?

gte872h

Reaction score
Has anyone else besides @andy b. picked up any Oxfords? I'd like to see pics of different variations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads