Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. mr. burns

mr. burns Senior member

I use mine for work in a warehouse environment. Lots of walking and lifting and getting scuffed up by carts/pallets/shelves etc. Nothing extreme, though.

2. chicken1616

chicken1616 Senior member

Yes

3. sambam

sambam Senior member

Correct on silicone tanned but voyager is pebbled and otter is smooth. Otter is our most water resistant.

4. chicken1616

chicken1616 Senior member

Thanks, sambam! What weight are these compared to, say, brown smooth? I have a pair of Smoke's in #38 Swing Last. I got them as orphans from Drew's. They are smooth Red dog and lined. However, the tongue, and only the tongue, is silicone tanned(I guess Otter). I guess whoever originally ordered them did not want to get the top of their foot wet;)

5. SoyBoy2

SoyBoy2 Active Member

@sambam - I have a pair of White's Engineer boots in Black Chrome Excel by Horween - they took a good stretch to break in - but now they are like butter-:)
    If I were to order a pair of Brown Rough Out as specified in the Baker's web site - would that leather be the Brown Chrome Excel by Horween only in rough out - or is the Brown Rough Out a different leather altogether.

6. gte872h

gte872h Senior member

I'm pretty sure brown roughout would be the reverse side of their oil tanned heavyweight leather.

7. SoyBoy2

SoyBoy2 Active Member

I ended up speaking to Kyle at Baker's and I do believe you are correct. The RO is a bit heavier than the Horween. I just May go for the Distressed RO, non celastic 10" (a bit cooler than my 12")

8. RockyMountain22

RockyMountain22 Member

Sambam I have heard from differing sources - erroneously it seems - on the relative weights of the silicone tanned leathers. Will you share more detail on the Voyager and Otter leathers please?

Cheers!

9. RockyMountain22

RockyMountain22 Member

Questions regarding the Semi Dress model

I actually do not have a single pair of SD boots among my pairs - I always gravitated to the traditional design of the F-R model and it's all-around robust bulletproofedness (is that a word?), even with dress brown leather for "office" boots.

For those of you sporting the SD model, what brought you to that particular choice? Was it for a more solid option to say, an Indy boot? Foot support issues? Purely aesthetic reasons? Or maybe the desire for a traditional, high quality pair of footwear that will outlive you and is a tangible way to connect with how America used to be?

I had many reasons myself, and with the SD supremely popular with our members, I am very curious. Most recently, I wanted a warm weather pair and chose the 6" F-R with brown dress leather as opposed to branching out to the SD. It looks very sharp and under pants, someone can't really tell you're not wearing shoes.

Having said that, I may STILL end up with a pair of SD, eventually, although that's exactly why I have the latest pair. At least it's not as expensive as sailing boats or racing horses. Does anyone have a pair of black oil SD they can share?

Cheers!

10. hkpm

hkpm Senior member

I have a pair of SD and bounty hunter.
    To me, I like the bounty hunter more because of the height of the boot.
    When I lace the SD, the lace end up being too close to my ankle.
    Then when I start walking, it create a weird feeling, like hindering the movement of the ankle and the foot.
    It does not happen when I wear the bounty hunter.

11. Legal Eagles

Legal Eagles Active Member

I am an attorney who works in an office environment... I am not a wilderness fire fighter, nor a farmer, nor a rancher, nor a bounty hunter. I spend zero time in the wild, I am more likely to be in an airport than on a farm, and more likely to be on asphalt and concrete than in the forest or the field. For me the Smoke-jumper, FR, or BH would be overkill for my daily needs, would look strange in my work environment, and would be more product than I need.

At the same time I appreciate quality and love the idea of rebuildable customizable boots made in the USA. I am of the mind that you buy the best and only cry once. That being said, Whites offer the SD for people like me... I think a 5" SD is a perfect urban, suburban, or indoor type boot. A SJ, FR, or BH would look vastly out of place on me, just as a french calf SD would look out of place on a wilderness firefighter.

To each their own, but I wear a semidress boot for the same reason I drive a 4 door sedan and not a Humvee... it works for my lifestyle, and the Humvee would be more expensive, larger, unwieldy, and a total waste of money for the uses to which I would put it.

We are truly blessed to have the selection however, and I am eagerly awaiting White's new MP boot... in whiskey shell... who is with me?

12. gte872h

gte872h Senior member

Has anyone else besides @andy b. picked up any Oxfords? I'd like to see pics of different variations.

13. mr. burns

mr. burns Senior member

correct.

What I'd like to know is what the difference between brown oil tanned and distressed smooth is, because after I applied conditioners like Chelsea Leather Food and Obenauf's or after I wipe down my distressed smooth boots with a damp rag, they pretty much look like the regular brown oil tanned leather.

14. RockyMountain22

RockyMountain22 Member

Certainly, you are in the ball park with your observations regarding the oiled leathers. With pretty much all of my boot leathers, when I wet wipe them down or are freshly oiled, take on the appearance of being universally darkened - nearly to the point of being in the same coloration family - but only temporarily, until the water dissipates or the oils fully absorb, then they are magically back to distressed smooth, brown smooth or red dog smooth/ro.

I think this will be true pretty much for any tanned leather, within reason.

The distressed smooth looks like a distressed bomber jacket in coloration only - it's surface is still very much like oil brown, et al., not cracked and dry and well, distressed. Truly an amazing choice and tough as nails. There are multiple examples in the gallery of distressed smooth if you're after a reference point. Ditto for brown oil tan.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!