Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

+1 on Baker`s. Best cs ever :slayer:

2. fuzzyearlobes

fuzzyearlobes Senior member

its a bit antiquated, but send the tracings in by mail, following their tracing instructions. They will then get back to you with sizing advise. Once you get the size, you can then just order over phone or do the build a boot order.

3. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

i think it's just a misunderstanding. you don't size down on the length, but the width.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

4. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

The width is related to the length at least as far as dimensions are concerned so yes if you size down a whole size like what's commonly done with the 1Ks you effectively narrow it as well. Now boots that can be had with different widths in any particular size is a whole 'nother animal. For the most part people make the mistake of buying boots like these in a size that is to small. Comparing how they feel to say a dress shoe is a mistake. A properly fit boot feels much different than a shoe or sneaker. I like the fact that this company has you take dimensions of your feet and then recommends a size or builds them to spec. Reminds me of Limmer boots which IMO is one of the best mountaineering boots money can buy.

5. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

I`ve found this to always overstate my size as they would rather err on the large size - you should really pin them down about what thickness of socks your will wear and compare sizes to other boots.

I sent my foot tracings to Whites, got recommended a 10D, then a 9 1/2D at Bakers and now I`ve found my size at 9D. Fortunately could sell off my two large pairs, but not a great experience.

Also, I`ve found that Whites Arch support are a real pain if you wear the wrong size, but are the most comfortable in the world if the boots fit correctly. So unlike other boots its not easy to adjust the fit by changing the thickness of the socks.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012

6. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

7. mudderfudder77

mudderfudder77 Member

What two leathers are those? Is the toe cap and uppers 'Dress brown'?

8. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

I was told by Kyle at Bakers recently that the boots can be sent back for size alteration but are not returnable for refund, since hey are custom made for you. Just so you know...

Also, I've had very good customer service responses from White's over the past week I have to say, as I've asked questions over email.

9. RickyTylerson

RickyTylerson Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

these are my brown cxl White's semi-dress. this photo is from when they were a couple months old. I'll have to take some new pictures soon. I really do love the cxl leather. I think its really quite beautiful. I haven't noticed any stretching or problems with durability. My only complaint is that it is kinda easy to scuff/scratch it. Most of the scuffs or scratches are non permanent though. they just need to have some obenauf's rubbed on em and it disappears.

I do want to get another pair. I really love the dress leather and I'd like to get a bounty hunter in brown dress. If I ever have enough money.

10. fuzzyearlobes

makes me want some water buffalo.

11. mudderfudder77

mudderfudder77 Member

Love the look of both of these boots. Thinking about ordering Semi Dress with #8 Burgundy Chrome Excel for the toe vamp and Medallion toe cap and using the Navy Chrome Excel leather for the uppers. Not sure if that would look gharish though.

12. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

Water Buffalo - toe cap and upper is dark cherry, middle is dark brown. Both look brown tones, even in real life. I thought the dark cherry would be a red tone, but not.

13. fuzzyearlobes

can you post a pic of the entire boot, off your foot? I knew it was two tone, but didnt know it was tri-tone! Although now that I look, I guess I t is. Interesting combo, the colors offset just enough to be different, but at first glance they all blend.

14. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

White's factory very kindly sent me four leather samples (all black) to consider: CXL, Oil Tan ("Smooth" I gather), Dress, and Calfskin. Obviously, they are all great leathers. I have to say that I can see the concern about CXL stretching; the four inch sample I have stretches readily with just a little pulling, much more than the other ones. But of course it is not sewn into a boot with support, lining, etc. The calf seems too thin and shiny for boots for me, which I pretty much already knew. The Dress seems very nice, as everyone says. The Oil Tan is clearly the thickest of all -- really a nice, durable feel to it.

The CXL is the only one of the samples that has a brown leather back; all the others are black on both sides. I like the contrasting brown, which shows up on edges of the boot I notice in pictures of CXL.

So, this gives me more to go on, though I still have lots of thinking to do. Wondering about mixing leathers -- maybe Black Oil Tan for the body of the boot, with CXL or Dress for toe cap and backstay, or something like that. Don't want to get too fancy with my first pair though....