• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

broken_oracle

Reaction score
Just placed a custom Semi-Dress order with Kyle at Baker's, 10% discount code "cyber2015" definitely works.

Zachery Zhu

Reaction score
Thank you very much Spurs61. I followed your recommendation to with black cxl for shaft. and I ordered 10 inch and C461 last. I will update once I get them.

petersim

Reaction score
Just bought a pair of semi dress in brown. I impulse bought these online and didn't do my usual research before buying. I ordered a half size down from my usual shoe size. The boots seem to fit ok but are not very snug. There is a slight heel lift which I'm hoping will go away after break in (which I don't expect to take very long as they seem pretty wearable out of the box).

I don't have much experience with boots. My foot measures 11" from heel to longest toe. That is what the inside of the boot measures but somehow I have plenty of room in the toe box. Just wondering if over time these will become looser. They are not at all uncomfortable but I feel like they should be a little more snug.

Would love to hear from anyone that has had a similar experience. Did I jump the gun and buy a size too big.
I also bought my CXL SDs on-line w/o any Whites or Bakers measurements. The length is fine [1/2 size down], but I also feel they are a little too wide. They are a D width and I had always felt I had a normal width foot. Maybe so, but in the SD last, a C would definitely fit me better. The good news is that as they break in [and they do break in a little more] you can lace them tighter and take up a little of the slop.

PaintSplattered

Reaction score
These look great! I'm interested in a pair of packers, in one of the more scuff-resistant leathers. I'm curious which toe shape this is. I'm also curious about how the heel-sole combination on the packers works for you. I believe the packers have the highest arch/heel-drop in the White's lineup... how are they for walking? How does that heel work out when you dress up a bit?

These are called the "Original Packer" on the White's site. The toe is the "Standard Soft Toe" and there's isn't a number for it as far as I know. It certainly isn't the Thoroughbred Toe, which has a classic cowboy boot look. If you ever order a pair and want this toe shape you can use my pictures if you need to.

The heel works great for walking, and I should mention that I had problems with a pair of Red Wing boots that had a lower block-shaped heel. It would hit earlier and interrupt my natural stride. They had a heel similar to Roper cowboy boots, if you are familiar with those. Those Red Wings did not work for me at all and I've now sold them at a big loss, but lesson learned. With this heel shape the ball of my foot and my heel can hit evenly, which is very comfortable.

The heel also works great for wearing these boots with a slightly dressed up look, but I have specific dress cowboy boots in black cherry for my "dress shoes" when required. I actually only wear boots and not shoes. My feet and legs feel much better after switching to White's and cowboy boots.

If you want to get a quick idea about how a higher heel would feel for you, you could try standing with a piece of scrap wood underneath the heel of your current White's. For me, I felt the bones in my legs and back line up in a very nice way when I tried that.

PaintSplattered

Reaction score
Very nice linafelt!

Which black leather is that? Before I signed up I read through a lot of this thread but can't recall if that's chromexel or dress leather.

Last edited:

mogili222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the sole that Baker's offers that is really low profile for the SDs. I could get a pair in a leather sole and have a topy put on for an additional cost.

But I am looking to see if I can just get one of the standard soles that Baker's offers that is low profile.

I actually love Commando Mini Lug Half Sole the but that seems a little thick for dress boots.

Cheers.

Last edited:

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is the sole that Baker's offers that is really low profile for the SDs. I could get a pair in a leather sole and have a topy put on for an additional cost. 

But I am looking to see if I can just get one of the standard soles that Baker's offers that is low profile. 

I actually love [COLOR=473C2D]Commando Mini Lug Half Sole [/COLOR]the but that seems a little thick for dress boots. 

Cheers. 

The 269 is pretty low profile..

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whirling

Reaction score
I ordered some White's Semi-Dress in black CXL from Amazon for 30% off on Black Friday...received them on Saturday. Wow, I love them. The arch-ease works for my feet which give me a lot of trouble. I also like the look. The Cuban heel is a bit affected, but it helps the gait dynamics, I think. In fact, I like the black so much, I then ordered the brown CXL for Cyber Monday, with the discount again at 30%, and got them today. Love the brown too.

I would say there are mild imperfections on both, but I feel they add to the old-timey, handmade nature of the boots.

The real problem with these boots is that now my Red Wing Beckmans don't seem as nice as previously.

In comparison to my Alden Indy Boots, I can say they are of equal but different quality. The Aldens are more refined, but the Semi-Dress seem more substantial and durable, though not actually heavier.

Regarding sizing: I wear a 10D in Allen Edmonds Park Avenues and Leeds, as well as Dundees. My Brannock size is also about a 10D, perhaps 10C, with low volume feet. My Alden Indy Boots are 9.5 D, but I feel they are a bit generous. I fit great into 9.5D in Red Wing Beckmans, Iron Rangers, and 875s. My arches are a bit long relative to my total foot length. I wear athletic shoes mainly in 10.5 or 11 D. I have tried on Wolverines and felt that 9D was a tad short and 9.5 D a tad loose. I have tried on Chippewas and found their 9.5D to be pretty good for me. I wear a 9.5 EE in Danner Lights, which fit well, but were actually a tad narrow initially. None of these other provide the support of these wonderful White's Boots.

Jon

Zachery Zhu

Reaction score
It totally makes sense. But I already ordered 10 inch. I have one 6 inch Whites and one 6 inch nicks. So I wanna try some higher shaft boot. Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Zachery Zhu

Reaction score
Thank you!!!! I learned a lot from your advice. It makes me more confident to have a pair of 10 inch boot. Yes, I ordered black cxl for shaft, It is strong. Thank you!

Kissmyanthia

Reaction score
Lots of activity here lately...cool!

Look what Santa in the big brown truck brought today:

Natural Chromexcel Swing last SDs...gotem lined this time - squish comfy from the start! Unstructured toe...gonna collapse quick on these CXL's but they feel great!

Check out the backstay - a little pronounced, but will probably become subdued once the boots develop patina:

Came out slightly more clownish than my Brown Dress...I'm still VERY ok with that!

Both unstructured toe - brown dress has heavy wear, CXL with very little wear.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads