• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

METU

Reaction score
This 10 oz cxl should be available for other builds through Baker's website in the future. It is a winner.

climbinglife

Reaction score
Here is post #3488 with some pictures of worn in HHs. I think @linafelt was referrering to these pictures when he responded to you earlier. The leather on these might just be a result of some bad clicking..

Also another post #3843 with my black HH boots that I ended up selling due to sizing issues.

Thanks bro!

climbinglife

Reaction score
Ok guys need some opinions! :)

I'm gonna be getting a new Pair of White's SD in the fall and i was gonna do black since I don't have any boots in black.

I have two pairs of CXL boots and i'm not against having these made in CXL but wanted to get some opinions.

I'm a teacher, so these are monday-friday 8-10 hour a day boots but not work boots. I wanted some thoughts on which type of Black leather you would go with.

The rest of the build will look like this:
White's SD
Antique eyes and hooks
Brown edge
standard trim
standard heel
pull tabs
Vibram 700 Comp sole
Liner - dependent on leather
no cap toe

Maybe...maybe would consider a two tone, doing the upper in the brown version of the black I choose.
Thanks guys.

Last edited:

spurs61

Reaction score

I'm gonna be getting a new Pair of White's SD in the fall and i was gonna do black since I don't have any boots in black.

I have two pairs of CXL boots and i'm not against having these made in CXL but wanted to get some opinions.

I'm a teacher, so these are monday-friday 8-10 hour a day boots but not work boots. I wanted some thoughts on which type of Black leather you would go with.

White's SD
Antique eyes and hooks
Brown edge
standard trim
standard heel
no cap toe
pull tabs
Vibram 700 Comp sole
no cap toe

Maybe...maybe would consider a two tone, doing the upper in the brown version of the black I choose.
Thanks guys.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

White's SD
Antique eyes and hooks
Brown edge
standard trim
standard heel
pull tabs
Vibram 700 Comp sole
no cap toe

Thanks guys.

I think I might go with unlined Oil Tan. I saw a guy with black oil tans last year, they were three years old and well worn and they really looked fabulous.
I'd also probably go with a natural edge -- it looks great against black I think-- but that's just a personal preference.

climbinglife

Reaction score
I think I might go with unlined Oil Tan. I saw a guy with black oil tans last year, they were three years old and well worn and they really looked fabulous.
I'd also probably go with a natural edge -- it looks great against black I think-- but that's just a personal preference.

Oil Tanned = Black Smooth, correct?

Last edited:

pbrmhl

Reaction score

White's SD
Antique eyes and hooks
Brown edge
standard trim
standard heel
pull tabs
Vibram 700 Comp sole
no cap toe

Thanks guys.

I have a perfect pair of SDs in black dress exactly as you describe, except for nickel eyes and a natural edge (no lining). I am an office worker using public transit, so my boots are used mostly for urban hikes. You can't go wrong with dress leather. My next pair will be in brown dress with antique eyes, but otherwise identical.

Kissmyanthia

Reaction score

White's SD
Antique eyes and hooks
Brown edge
standard trim
standard heel
pull tabs
Vibram 700 Comp sole
no cap toe

Thanks guys.
I would go black dress, natural edge, brass eyes - I just love that combo. I've had the 700 and its a good sole, but I like the 430 - looks the same from the side, but I feel its more versatile.

Here's my BH's with that same make up:

I've had Black SDs in the past with black edge and black eyes - kinda boring IMHO, but definitely dressier - I used them in the a medical clinic setting.

spurs61

Reaction score
I would go black dress, natural edge, brass eyes - I just love that combo. I've had the 700 and its a good sole, but I like the 430 - looks the same from the side, but I feel its more versatile.

Here's my BH's with that same make up:

I've had Black SDs in the past with black edge and black eyes - kinda boring IMHO, but definitely dressier - I used them in the a medical clinic setting.

climbinglife

Reaction score
Very Nice guys! Thanks for the input.

I think i'm leaning towards doing the toe vamp, tongue and back stay in black and then do the upper in brown for some contrast.

Wanna go back into the thread to see if I can find some two tone black/brown SD's

research research lol

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

... toe vamp, tongue and back stay in SMOOTH Black and then do the upper in [Black R/O, no lining] for some [textured] contrast

Fixed it
1f601.png
... 'Prefer antique brass [all eyelets] cuz silver is "distracting".

'Wish White's can do a Goodyear Commando, tho. Anyway, I'd go for lowered block heels__ with the back of the heels sanded down a bit closer. The tweaked heels make for a more normal gait [similar to the standard heels] ... Aesthetic-wise, looks much nicer & more balanced, IMO
1f44a-1f3fd.png

1yrSDHHxBison.jpg

1yrbackstrap.jpg

Last edited:

climbinglife

Reaction score
So two different kinds of black leather huh? Interesting.

I love those SD's bro. So very nice!

PS: Anyone know if the SD last is more roomy, less roomy than the C461 Last? I've only ever had experience with the 461 and was curious if I should stick to what i know or try something different. I'm very tempted to do the Swing Last but my Viberg Service Boots already have that kind of look.

Last edited:

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So two different kinds of black leather huh? Interesting.

I love those SD's bro. So very nice!

PS: Anyone know if the SD last is more roomy, less roomy than the C461 Last? I've only ever had experience with the 461 and was curious if I should stick to what i know or try something different. I'm very tempted to do the Swing Last but my Viberg Service Boots already have that kind of look.

By all accounts the SD is more roomy than the C461, especially in width. check out @petersim 's post above for the latest..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads