1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. BigPoppa

BigPoppa Well-Known Member

Would like input for two custom builds (my feet are different sizes, so very custom), one kinda dressy and one not. I want them both to be very long lasting leathers, and their main uses will be tramping around cities in Europe. Lots of time spent on feet, lots of cobblestones. Lots of crowds, so increased chances of scuffing. Worn mostly with jeans or chinos, sometimes with a sportcoat.

1) Semi dress
    Black dress leather
    Brown edge
    Standard heel
    Standard height
    Not sure which metal for eyelets and hooks
    Leather sole (not sure if single or double)

2) Bounty Hunter
    Not sure which leather (brown leather seems to look too close to black, not interested in distressed), considering Brown Smooth, British Tan, or Brown Horsehide. Open to other suggestions.
    Antique eyelets and hooks
    Natural edge
    Standard heel
    Standard height
    Either commando or mini Vibram (not full lug, not the one that seems to fall apart)

Input greatly appreciated, especially for the leather to use for the brown ones.

2. mboon85

mboon85 Well-Known Member

Cool! This morning i got an email from both Orvis and White's confirming my shipping. We'll see how they fit, as the only downside to buying online and not custom ordering is sizing being a mystery. That said, I haven't found an 11.5 in any boot that doesn't fit just fine. Hopefully they'll be here soon. Orvis said 5-7 days shipping but i live in Washington and White's is in Spokane.

3. breck81

breck81 Well-Known Member

These are the BH from old north. They may satisfy wants from numbers 1 and 2: http://www.oldnorthclothing.com/shop/whites-boots-x-old-north-pre-order

I bought the Black BH hunter, mainly cause i already have Alden Indys in Natty Chromexcel. Great customer service and great boots.

4. Mase1904

Mase1904 New Member

Great discussion and lots of helpful insight!

I tried the 2-1-3 method posted on Nick’s website with the SJ try on pair. I was excited because I never seen it before. It did help a little with the heel slip, but I'm not sure if that was more correlated to my feet settling in. The try on pairs were 10" high, so I don’t think the method would work well on a 5" SD and two rows of hooks..

The heel to ball fit seem to feel fine (arch length?) but I was a little bothered by the extra front length due to the extra toe room + standard trim. I felt a little clumsy and not in much control of my gait as I could be. I’m not sure if it would be more beneficial in the long run for me to evolve and develop this new way of wearing boots, or stick with what I’ve always worn (shoes with less toe space).

The dilemma I had in mind after getting off the phone with the boot rep was that I didn't want to displace the arch ease system by going down a 1/2 size. I always think of questions the minute I get off the phone!

It was a delicate balance of trying to give myself toe room, not throwing off the arch ease, and still feeling as grounded (a little less toe space) as I can be in cool looking boots.

I decided to not apply the thumb width rule here and went with a 10.5B. Of course it still may apply depending on whose thumb we use. I think it was a good compromise but we will see. Now come the weeks of staring at a door mat.

Did any of you happen to notice any postural benefits from wearing the boot?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  5. meso

meso Well-Known Member

They are White's. Why they are not marketed as such might be an Orvis thing. I've also noticed White's boots, post-2014 sale, branching out into other online retailers. For the time being this doesn't appear to signal any dilution in quality. They will be head and shoulders above other boots in that price point (e.g. Redwing GTs).

6. meso

meso Well-Known Member

1. Standard issue semi-dress boots are fantastic for traveling. I would suggest a Vibram sole however - leather tends to be slippery on stone or ice. You will end on your ass walking on cobblestones.

2. Horsehide on these would look amazing. British tan is quite lighter - think of C-shade Tricker's or Alden's british tan.

7. ThatDudeOrion

ThatDudeOrion Active Member

Hey guys, relatively new here, I have a few pairs of Whites so far, 2 packers and a farmer rancher, but they're all fairly stock builds, mostly brown smooth and red dog smooth, and I've got an itch for a custom build and want some opinions on the colors. I know it's going to be a bounty hunter with a block heel, 6 inch height and I want the medallion cap toe. The colors I can't get out of my head are distressed smooth for the vamp and quarters/shaft and navy CXL for the toe cap and counter, what say you ?

8. offrd63fj40

offrd63fj40 Member

I personalty use the 2-1-3 lacing to help prevent the pinch I get on the front of my ankle in my 10" SJ's. I lace that way with my 6" BH's too, although I think your right and it wouldn't work with a 5"boot.

I went with a shorter length boot on my first pair of white's. I thought I would never need to wear heavy socks and that a little shorter wouldn't hurt. Well, they worked great for 5 or 6 years, but the boots started to shrink in length. By the time they were 10 yrs old I could only were them with very light dress socks. I finally had them rebuilt a size longer.

I had to learn to walk a little differently when I started wearing White's. I think its a smoother gate. With no padding its easy to jar your brain when you get lazy and walk like you do wearing soft hiking shoes, especially on asphalt and cement.

As far as postural benefits go, I stand straighter and have a smoother gate as a result of wearing my White's. That in it self is reason to buy another pair, don't you think?

9. BigPoppa

The arch-ease system does seem the biggest selling point of White's over other boots. I tried on a pair and they just felt "right" in a way very little else has.

Are their inserts that mimic the arch-ease that could be put in 1000 Mile/Beckman/et al?

edit: Yes, I know they sell arch supports I could add to any boot or shoe; but I didn't know if they'd feel the same as ones built in (and especially if they'd feel like the ones built into White's).

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  10. nateners

nateners Member

So I just received my first pair of White's today and they are unbelievable! They took less than 3 weeks from start to finish. I do have one question about the leather on the tongue. It appears to be a different leather. Is that normal?
    :[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Bunyip74

Bunyip74 Active Member

It looks like a softer leather? I have dress brown bounty hunters and they are the same. I'm not sure of the logic, but they do look great, and are super comfy.

12. nateners

nateners Member

That's what Kyle at Baker said as well. These boots are incredible.

13. Exdeath

Exdeath Well-Known Member

AFAIK they only use Horsehide on the SDs. Kyle told me they can't use it on a BH build.

14. BigPoppa

Crap. I really liked the idea of brown horsehide BHs as my everyday boot with the black dress leather SD for when I felt a little dressier. Honestly not sure how often I'd even wear the black ones.

If wearing the same pair every single day weren't bad for the boots, I'd probably go for brown dress leather BHs (or maybe brown horsehide SD) with a commando sole as my only pair. Might do it anyway.

15. Bunyip74

Bunyip74 Active Member

I have the dress brown bounty hunter. I initially stayed away from this colour as it seemd too close to black. I saw several different pairs, I ended up getting mine made in it as it ages really well. In real life it looks nothing like black at all. It's definitely brown, can be worn with anything and again, they age brilliantly. I'm not sure if I would go leather sole if walking on cobblestones etc. the 430 sole is a good alrounder, looks great, and is very functional.

16. BigPoppa

I'd originally dismissed the brown dress leather because I'd decided to get the black dress leather and they look so similar in pics. If they don't (or if I don't get the black dress leather), then it's definitely an option.

My basic look when traveling is either dark jeans or chinos with a button down and either a sport coat or a pea coat depending on weather. So I want something that would look good with those, is durable, and is comfortable as hell to walk in.

17. meso

meso Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  18. ElChingon7

ElChingon7 New Member

19. conak

conak Well-Known Member

How's the width on those?

20. FENWAY

FENWAY Well-Known Member

Perfect for me. Typical boot width...a little extra room, great with light Smartwool boot sock