1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. chicken1616

chicken1616 Senior member

I don't really see much of a reason to do the alcohol thing. Just lock 'em down with the laces a few times every wear and suck it. They'll break in.

1 person likes this.
  2. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

Couldn't agree more. I own 3 pairs of White's, and none of them have been too hard of a break-in. The toughest part of any of the pairs was forming the heel cup on my first pair in Distressed Smooth, and no amount of water/alcohol could change that.

No need to risk hurting the leather. Wear them...they'll break in with time.

3. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Nice to see you back guy..

1 person likes this.
  4. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

You're a gentleman, Lina #cheers

Wishing you and all these other US boots freaks a very Happy New Year!

1 person likes this.
  5. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

The only question now is, what happened to James..?

6. trvlr472

trvlr472 Senior member

I've got a pair of Classic Work Boots with the natural edge. After getting them I searched around and couldn't find anything that was clear that I could use on the edges so since they were going to get dirty anyway I have been using Fiebings brown edge dressing on them. It doesn't seem to do much of anything for sealing the leather or preserving it from the elements. The edges on mine are dried out and rough but I do a lot of walking around in the snow and they get wet all the time so I guess that's just the way it is. I end up applying the Fiebings about 4 or 5 times a month. It would be nice if we could use Obenhaufs on the edges but it's supposedly a bad idea although I did it once and it took forever before I could get the Fiebings to work on the edges again.

One thing I have noticed about snow and these boots. If your boots are dirty just find a fresh patch of snow to walk around in. Get them covered in it and then just let them dry off. There isn't much that cleans them any better than that. It's actually quite amazing. I did it to mine last night and they look like I just polished them. The only catch is that you have to live where it snows and it has to be fresh, powdery, virgin snow not slushy, dirty brown/black snow full of oil and other contaminants. As a matter of fact I've been using snow for years to clean my boots.and never even thought about it until recently. I won't tell the whole story but I got a pair of boots covered in eggs one time (not White's) and used a nearby pile of snow to clean them off. It got about 90% of it off. .

7. spurs61

spurs61 Senior member

8. Warpiper

Warpiper Well-Known Member

I think that James either went into Oxford rehab and we won't be hearing from him for six weeks, he got some Huberd's shoe grease for the holidays and has been busy liberally applying it, or maybe, just maybe, he wanted to take a break, spend some time with hiis family and leave us to riddle out our boot issues ourselves. I'm leaning toward the Huberd's scenario. I don't think it would be humanly possible to tear him away from his retro oxfords and I'm pretty sure that most of us would rather talk about boots than spend time with family:D happy new year, everybody!

9. Aballesteros

Aballesteros New Member

Hi there,

I was wondering if you could share the specs of your boots.

They're awesome!

Thanks,

Antonio

10. Warpiper

Hi Antonio. I'm not sure if you were talking to me but mine was the last post. The boots in the picture are White's semi dress. They are British tan and a caramel water buffalo. They are steel toe because I actually wear them for work.

11. Aballesteros

Aballesteros New Member

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Those boots are great.

Did you order them at Bakers?

12. chicken1616

chicken1616 Senior member

13. azcodito

azcodito Active Member

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  14. Warpiper

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Those boots are great.

Did you order them at Bakers?

No, I didn't. I'm fortunate enough to live nearby Whites. I'm able to do my shopping in person. Everyone on here says that the "Baker's experience" is awesome, though. I'm glad you like the boots. Thanks. I love them and wear them all day to work and even on the weekends. I have probably sixty pairs of boots that are missing their spot in the rotation now.

15. azcodito

azcodito Active Member

Loving my rebuilt SJs

[​IMG]

16. Aballesteros

Aballesteros New Member

Hi,

That's great that you get to actually go into the shop to hand pick your boots.

I'm new to this forum and I'm trying to figure out how to build my own pair.
    I more or less get the parts of the shoe except for the "last".
    What is a "swing last"? Would you know the difference between a swing and
    a standard last?

Thanks,

Antonio

17. Warpiper

The swing last will give you more room in the toe box. I believe that the toe also curves up slightly. I think this is the last that is prefered by guys with wider toes. I've never tried them on.

18. Warpiper

Antonio, if you don't live near a retailer where you can try some boots on, talk to Kyle at Baker's. He can help with tracings and sizing questions. You absolutely want to make sure that these boots fit. You don't want your toes to rub or the arch to be in the wrong spot. If they fit properly, they will be one of the most comfortable pair of boots you own. My steel toe pair were made to a D width (which is what I normally wear) and they had to be totally rebuilt (everything below the uppers) to an E width. They did the rebuild for free because they measured my feet differently than they did for my first pair. Before the rebuild, I couldn't wear them due to toe rub on the steel toe. Now they are perfect!

19. Warpiper

Azcodito, those are some stout, sharp looking boots! How long does it take to break those in? I only have experience with the semi dress which have hardly any break in.

1 person likes this.