1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. mogili222

mogili222 Senior member

Here is a pair of Horse Hide SDs. I purchased these on eBay from the original owner earlier this year but sold them recently when I finally figured out my correct size in Whites.

Not sure if the quality of horse hide at White's has changed in recent times, but the leather on these is amazing. No creasing like CXL and the leather feels great.

I had also talked to the original owner and he said he chose this build to mimic the Wolverine 1Ks.

[​IMG]

More Pictures

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

Is that just the standard "brown" horsehide? That is the richest I have seen the HH yet and it looks almost like a chestnut (nice choice between the dress brown and Brit tan)...may be the lighting....good photos.

I might need another pair of oxfords.

James

3. mogili222

mogili222 Senior member

Yup.. Just the standard Brown horsehide. I used some VSC to shine them up before I took those pictures.. Funny thing is that I had these on eBay for over a month with some pictures from the original listing and nobody bought them. Then I updated the pictures and the boots sold in 24 hours..

Here is another pair of Brown HHs with some wear. They belong to specmvl on the Iron Heart forum.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
    2 people like this.
  4. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

Yeah, definitely another pair of oxfords....430 sole, plain cap toe, a pair of tweed flannel trousers....suck it Tricker's.

James

5. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

I know this is probably available back in the tread, but can anyone tell me off the top of their head: Is Baker's White's Oxford (not the retro Oxford but the one with the Vibram sole and heel counter) the same as White's own Hathorn Oxford? And does White's offer their own work oxford separately (again besides the retro), or is it only through Bakers?

Thanks.

6. Bingham

Bingham Senior member

I ordered those Oxfords through Bakers and they are labeled Hathorn on the interior heel pad.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

I had a long conversation with Kyle about this as Oxford's are more my thing than boots.
    Apparently, the "Baker's oxford by White's" is a Hawthorn oxford on the northwestern last I believe, and is machine welted. The "baker's oxford" is a different shoe but can be made by white's or Nicks's (he told me to specify Nick's for the build I wanted) or maybe even Drew's, not sure on the last one.
    I got a pair of the Baker's by white's as a try on pair and although the toe box was round, it still hit my pinky toes unlike the retro which is perfect. The Baker's oxford is a more casual shoe as it's proportions are a bit clunkier than the sleeker retro.
    From pictures I have seen, the Hawthorne oxford looks identical to the Baker's by White's I tried on.

Hope this clarifies, and hopefully Kyle can weigh in on the actual differences if he is following the thread.

James

1 person likes this.
  8. broken_oracle

broken_oracle Senior member

Ordered on September 12th, my 6" Bounty Hunters finally arrived today. Size 12D Swing Last (per Kyle's recommendation based on my foot measurements, tracings, & experience in Red Wings, Chippewa, etc).

Stats for the image database: Distressed Smooth leather, soft toe (no celastic) with plain toe cap, standard (Cuban) heel, Vibram 430 soles for work traction, standard trim for strength & repairability. Sole edge left raw by White's & sealed with clear edge treatment by Baker's. Top 3 grommets are speed hooks. Tongue protectors, off of which I'll probably trim the fringe. Old broken-in leather laces for now as the flat waxed ones I ordered elsewhere turned out to be too short. Expect these to darken some after applying Obenauf's LP; gonna wear them around the apt a bit first to verify fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was surprised how nearly shoehorn tight these were to get on due to the full-gusset tongue. Quite tight across the ball of both feet, looser at the ankle. Both though seem to be within the range of being corrected by use - the leather now is so stiff it's a task to lace them up snug.

Plan on beating the hell out of theae at work... and they seem up to the challenge.

9. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

They got that swing last right, no clown shoes for you!

Congrats!

James

10. tmchow

tmchow Senior member

I'm aware of these possible lasts:

- Standard (#55)
    - Swing (#38)
    - Classic 461 / C461
    - Northwest

1. Are all of the 4 available for SD?
    2. I'm mostly interested in the difference between the Standard and C461 lasts. According to photos in post #3144 and #3145, it appears it's just a slightly different toe shape and toe is upturned from the side. What other differences are there?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  11. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

And don't forget the 54 last aka the Oxford last. I was told it can be used for other boots, not just the oxford but haven't done it (but should have as it actually fits me better than the swing). It has a lower profile than the swing last and is more elegant/ less bulbous, but not as tapered through the sides of toe box as the SD last.
    Jammes

12. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

So I know this has been discussed ad naseum but I'm too lazy to search this thread anymore.
    Is there a consensus on a reliable source for flat waxed laces?

James

13. breck81

breck81 Senior member

This question is for anyone really.

I have some very similar BH coming my way soon. Should i expect them to be a tad tight as yours are? They will be my first whites. So basically is a bit of tightness a sign of a properly sized pair or is that a red flag?

14. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

I'm no expert but in my experience so far they should feel snug across the laces and vamp, those areas will loosen up with use. If the laces are much wider than 2 fingers across and you feel like you're losing circulation across the middle of your foot, then the width is wrong. If your big toes are hitting the front or little toes being crammed in, then either the size or the last is not right for your foot.
    But generally they are snug and will loosen up quickly.

James

15. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Thanks guys, this is helpful.

16. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Therightlace.com is popular. They have 1000 Mile style flat waxed laces, which work pretty well with 5 or 6 inch White's. But there are also tons available through various ebay sellers, often super cheap.

17. tmchow

tmchow Senior member

Are there any photos of this in an SD?

18. spurs61

spurs61 Senior member

19. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

My Dress Brown BHs came in a while ago, and I haven't had a chance to take any photos until recently...so I figured I'd post a few family photos here.

Album

9" White's in Dress Brown, #8 CXL, Distressed Smooth, and my 6" Nick's in Dark Olive CXL.

20. gfloridafan93

gfloridafan93 Senior member

You are one lucky man...
    Just curious, which ones are you favorite?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014