• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

climbinglife

Reaction score
For my CWB's, Whites over sized me one full size on my initial purchase...Bakers got it right this time around as I was dead on with Brannock device.

Everyone's foot is different and to say what works for you should work for someone else...well, ymmv.

My vote is to deal with Kyle at Bakers. Send him your tracings and they will get you squared away.

And fyi, the C461 last is supposed to a little more roomy in the toe box then the SD last, and the SD's can be made on the C461 last.

dsthompson

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the input guys....I took a look at linafelt's boots, and they've completely sold me on lowering the heel by a quarter inch---beautiful boots, man. As I think about it, I've got one more question---anybody have a strong preference between natural and brown soles for the distressed leather? I assume the natural would darken over time? I had been leaning towards brown, but I'm not sure...

Also wanted to say thanks to everyone for the great discussion and info on this thread. It has helped me immensely as I've worked to configure my boot...

trvlr472

Reaction score
When I bought my SJ's and CWB's 4 or 5 months ago the saleman there told me to try on a few different sizes and then order the size that fit the best. I only had SJ's to try on but I found the size 11.5D that fit the best. He told me to make sure the arch support was in the right spot and then had me stand on a step with the boots facing down to see if my toes got crunched.

Once everything was like he said it should be I ordered an 11.5D and they have fit quite well. They are just slightly loose in the heel but nothing to worry about. I have ducks feet so i'm not surprised but they are snug enough in the heel to where when i walk around in them I don't get any blisters or anything.

The CWB's work with the medium weight socks I fitted in as well as thin socks. The SJ's work best with medium to thick. My salesman told me it's best to fit them with boots off the shelf than send tracings because White's can always say you did the measurements wrong. Then you're stuck.

When it comes to bakers I think doing the tracings is a good idea since they guarantee the fit and will send a pair for you to try on once they get the tracings.

trvlr472

Reaction score
If one really wants to learn how to treat leather, they do their Masters' Degree dissertation on the subject. REAL HARD CORE....

https://gupea.ub.gu.se/bitstream/2077/32480/1/gupea_2077_32480_1.pdf

I just downloaded that dissertation on preserving leather and am too tired to read it right now so my question is, "What are you doing using Huberd's if the dissertation has to do with silicone oil. I went to Huberd's site and I don't remember reading anything about silicone oil in their mix.
biggrin.gif

Go ahead, tell me I'm missing something or that I have to read the dissertation in full so I can see that at the very end there is a picture of a can of Huberd's, with a brush, as the Holy grail of antique museum leather artifact preservation.
nest.gif

climbinglife

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the input guys....I took a look at linafelt's boots, and they've completely sold me on lowering the heel by a quarter inch---beautiful boots, man. As I think about it, I've got one more question---anybody have a strong preference between natural and brown soles for the distressed leather? I assume the natural would darken over time? I had been leaning towards brown, but I'm not sure...

Also wanted to say thanks to everyone for the great discussion and info on this thread. It has helped me immensely as I've worked to configure my boot...

I had a pair of White's in Brown CXL, currently a pair of White's in Natural CXL and a pair of Vibergs in Mocha CXL (I like CXL
satisfied.gif
) and they have all had a Natural edged sole to them. If you plan on treating the boots with anything that will darken the leather over time, i'd go with Natural, as I think it goes well with these colors. If your getting a black boot, a brown edge might be the way to go. If it were me and I was getting Distressed as my leather option, i'd go with a Natural edge.

dsthompson

Reaction score
Regarding "distressed smooth" leather, does it darken naturally over time, like natural cxl (which I have some experience with), or does it retain it's original color? I do plan on treating it with Obenauf's boot oil, but if anyone has any experience with this leather, please let me know if there are products better suited to the distressed smooth leather. I live in Texas, so snow / rain is not a significant issue for me. I use oil just to keep the leather hydrated and healthy...

univibe88

Reaction score

I had a pair of White's in Brown CXL, currently a pair of White's in Natural CXL and a pair of Vibergs in Mocha CXL (I like CXL :satisfied: ) and they have all had a Natural edged sole to them. If you plan on treating the boots with anything that will darken the leather over time, i'd go with Natural, as I think it goes well with these colors. If your getting a black boot, a brown edge might be the way to go. If it were me and I was getting Distressed as my leather option, i'd go with a Natural edge.

FWIW I have distressed SJs and I chose the natural edge.

univibe88

Reaction score

Regarding "distressed smooth" leather, does it darken naturally over time, like natural cxl (which I have some experience with), or does it retain it's original color? I do plan on treating it with Obenauf's boot oil, but if anyone has any experience with this leather, please let me know if there are products better suited to the distressed smooth leather. I live in Texas, so snow / rain is not a significant issue for me. I use oil just to keep the leather hydrated and healthy...

My distressed SJs have darkened from use and from Obenauf's. I don't have enough experience with natty cxl to say if it has darkened in the same way or to the same extent.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, I am getting posts flagged in this thread almost daily. I don't know what the beef is, but stop it. Play nice. This will be my one and only warning.

Thnx.

Last edited:

LouieBailie

Reaction score
I just downloaded that dissertation on preserving leather and am too tired to read it right now so my question is, "What are you doing using Huberd's if the dissertation has to do with silicone oil. I went to Huberd's site and I don't remember reading anything about silicone oil in their mix.
biggrin.gif

Go ahead, tell me I'm missing something or that I have to read the dissertation in full so I can see that at the very end there is a picture of a can of Huberd's, with a brush, as the Holy grail of antique museum leather artifact preservation.
nest.gif
If you place the can under your drivers seat, it makes your truck/car go faster and get better gas mileage too.

dsthompson

Reaction score
Thanks everybody---natural edge it is for me. The more I read through this thread, though, the more great boots I see, and the more I start to second guess my plans...I'm planning on going with the semi-dress, but starting to wonder if 6" Bounty Hunters might be a better choice. Am I correct in saying the semi-dress and Bounty Hunters are virtually the same, other than the boot height and the external vs internal heel counter?

Also, it doesn't look like the Bounty Hunter is an option on the buildaboot.com website...I believe I found the Bounty Hunter customizable on a different website, but without the option for a close trim, which is something I definitely want. Anybody know if there is a website where the close trim is an option for Bounty Hunters?

Bingham

Reaction score

Anybody know if there is a website where the close trim is an option for Bounty Hunters?

I just ordered some bounty hunters w/ close trim. you can simply request it in the comments box upon ordering through Bakers.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks everybody---natural edge it is for me. The more I read through this thread, though, the more great boots I see, and the more I start to second guess my plans...I'm planning on going with the semi-dress, but starting to wonder if 6" Bounty Hunters might be a better choice. Am I correct in saying the semi-dress and Bounty Hunters are virtually the same, other than the boot height and the external vs internal heel counter?

Also, it doesn't look like the Bounty Hunter is an option on the buildaboot.com website...I believe I found the Bounty Hunter customizable on a different website, but without the option for a close trim, which is something I definitely want. Anybody know if there is a website where the close trim is an option for Bounty Hunters?

Another real difference is the fully attached bellows tongue on the Bounty Hunter, as opposed to semi-attached on the SD -- actually feels quite different. And of course 6" vs 5". Not sure what else, but there is no doubt that the BH feels a fair bit heavier and more substantial than the SD, though still pretty comfy.

The BH (which is as others have said the Farmer-Rancher on the SD last) is fully customizable I believe. As others have said, I would contact Kyle at Baker's and talk through what you want.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, I am getting posts flagged in this thread almost daily. I don't know what the beef is, but stop it. Play nice. This will be my one and only warning.

Thnx.

Off topic, but maybe you can answer: is the Oak Street Boots affiliate board kaput? I used to check it, and then it said I didn't have permission, and now I don't see it when I search...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads