• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

4characters

Reaction score
. I'll measure according to this and see what Baker's has to say..
The measurements you send in include the instep, so I think your boot fitting will be taken care of no problem.

mogili222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not worried about the arch so much as I am the instep. I can wear shoes with minimal arch support. My problem has always been instep height. There have been a few references throughout this thread to the SDs being snug across the instep. I'm not sure how the Brannock can account for that. I'll measure according to this and see what Baker's has to say.

I tried a Birkenstock London and had to send them back because the strap across the instep wouldn't come close to fitting. It didn't have anything to do with length or width of my foot. I'm curious if White's SDs are viable for a high instep.
My experience with White's has been that the Brannock measurement is quite useless as I had to size down a full size for my SDs and BHs. You might have also noticed that a lot of others sized down half to one full size in their boots.

Your best bet is to get your tracings sent to White's or Baker's and have them give you a size. That way the fit is guaranteed. Also from what I have read, the Smoke Jumper last (4811) has the highest arch followed by the SD (55) last.

Last edited:

LouieBailie

Reaction score
Your foot circumference measurements will tell them or any manufacturer what is needed to make the instep high enough or they can/will recommend an insole or orthotic.

Over there try getting measured at Vass, Edward Green, Lobb, or Trickers if you are able, any high end shoe/boot dealer will get the numbers correct.

If you are going to use White's templates, pay a taylor to take the measurements and make the tracings. You will get the correct numbers they need for the 5-10 bucks

Whites uses the templates for length and width based on the US Braddock device.

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whites oversized me a full size too. No idea how that happened on my first pair - but had to sell them as I was floating in them. No substitute for trying on various sizes at a brick and mortar shop. Another possibility is to order a pair from a shop that accepts returns and work from there. Tell them if you find your size you will custom order. No substitute for a boot that fits badly.

LouieBailie

Reaction score
When Whites estimates your size they expect you to be wearing a pair of heavily padded socks like SmartWool HD hiking socks. not leggs nylons...
lol8[1].gif
Just get a pair and try.

They are a work boot company catering to manual labor intensive lifestyle people that wear heavily padded socks. Just like in the US Army with out heavy socks every soldier would ***** the boots were too big.

Most people can wear a single size ie 11D or one size smaller and wider 10.5E or one size longer and slimmer 11.5C. Their feet/foot will adapt.

If any one of these people complaining about sizing issues had purchased these heavier wool padded socks, then tried the boots on for size, the boots that were recommended by Whites would 99.9% of the time be the proper fit.
nod[1].gif

LIMBERLION

Reaction score
Honestly, if you just talk to the guys over at bakers they will sort you out. If you have any questions, those guys have the answers. There is a reason they are paid to do what they do. Ask them

sleepy94

Reaction score
Bakers also has a fit guarantee and can sometimes provide boots for test fitting. Whites and Wesco boots can also do custom lasts based entirely on your exact foot. This usually runs around $100 but then they keep your last on file and use it for any other boots you may want to order. I really would worry too much these guys are the best and are very accommodating.

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When Whites estimates your size they expect you to be wearing a pair of heavily padded socks like SmartWool HD hiking socks. not leggs nylons...
lol8[1].gif
Just get a pair and try.

They are a work boot company catering to manual labor intensive lifestyle people that wear heavily padded socks. Just like in the US Army with out heavy socks every soldier would ***** the boots were too big.

Most people can wear a single size ie 11D or one size smaller and wider 10.5E or one size longer and slimmer 11.5C. Their feet/foot will adapt.

If any one of these people complaining about sizing issues had purchased these heavier wool padded socks, then tried the boots on for size, the boots that were recommended by Whites would 99.9% of the time be the proper fit.
nod[1].gif
How did you assume I did not wear thick socks?

I followed the instructions http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php?dispatch=pages.view&page_id=18 See #1

Don't makes assumptions and take those as facts.

The fact is that whatever socks you wear in measurement should fit in the boot, but thats beside the point as boot socks were worn.

Last edited:

dsthompson

Reaction score
Hi all

I've spent a lot of time reading through this thread, and am excited to order a pair of White's myself. I've sent my tracings in to Baker's, and am planning on getting a SD in distressed smooth leather with a block heel and Vibram 430 sole. The only component I'm not decided on yet is whether to get a standard heel height or lower it 1/4". Does anyone know of any pictures of boots with the 430 sole that has been lowered 1/4"? I've seen pictures of the standard and lowered heels, but not with the 430 configuration...

I've also owned OSB trench and Wolverine 1K boots in the past...does anyone know how the White's standard height compares to those two brands?

Thanks!

LouieBailie

Reaction score
People should not wear an 11D or a 10.5E or an 11.5C. There will be one correct size, and you should not force your feet to accommodate. Whereas the approximate volume of the shoe will be the same, the flex point and length will be very different.

I have been doing it for over 40 years and it has always worked, never had a problem. The different lasts have more variance than the .5 length and 1 width.

IE The Munson Army last is way bigger in length and width than "normal" lasts in the same sizes.

Bingham

Reaction score
got my boots today! will post picks soon. they look great, but one heal stick out noticeably further than the other.

does anyone know how much it would cost for a cobbler to fix this? and would it change the color of a natural trim sole?

i really don't want to send them all the way to back to Oregon if its a cheap fix nearby.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read all but about 10 pages of this thread and will soon send my tracings/measurements off to Baker's for sizing recommendations, but I wanted to ask before I get too pumped up about a new pair of SDs. I've got moderately high arches and what seems to be a very high instep. Are SDs going to work for me?

I'm not asking for my SD size as I know the guys at White's/Baker's will be best equipped to tell me, just wondering if the SDs will work or if I should look elsewhere. TIA!

I also have very high arches and, like you, high insteps. I've had instep trouble with boots in the past, like the Iron Ranger, biting my instep. But my White's Bounty Hunters work very well for me, as I think probably SDs would (though I have only worn them for try on). Not sure if it's the same with you, but I've realized that even though my feet do not measure wide, if I get an E or EE width it makes up for the high instep.

As far as sizing, I have it to be hit or miss with both Whites and Bakers. The tracings simply don't work all the time, especially if you have some issues like this. Still, worth trying I think....

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I've spent a lot of time reading through this thread, and am excited to order a pair of White's myself. I've sent my tracings in to Baker's, and am planning on getting a SD in distressed smooth leather with a block heel and Vibram 430 sole. The only component I'm not decided on yet is whether to get a standard heel height or lower it 1/4". Does anyone know of any pictures of boots with the 430 sole that has been lowered 1/4"? I've seen pictures of the standard and lowered heels, but not with the 430 configuration...

I've also owned OSB trench and Wolverine 1K boots in the past...does anyone know how the White's standard height compares to those two brands?

Thanks!

You can look at my pics from a few weeks back of my black Bounty Hunters, which do not have the 430 but do have the lowered heel with the Vibram 269. I am very happy with the way the lowered heel looks. some guys don't like it on Whites, but I think 1/4" lower is perfect. For anyone who is not a White's aficionado it looks like a normal height.

The standard SD height is 5", whereas the OSB (I have a pair too) is 6". Pretty sure the 1000 mile is 6... But because of the White's heel it will end up standing as tall as the 6" boots I think. The Bounty Hunter (Farmer Rancher on SD last) comes in 6", but feels much bigger than the 5" SD by most accounts.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
got my boots today! will post picks soon. they look great, but one heal stick out noticeably further than the other.

does anyone know how much it would cost for a cobbler to fix this? and would it change the color of a natural trim sole?

i really don't want to send them all the way to back to Oregon if its a cheap fix nearby.

I had Baker's sand mine down before sending, and am very glad they did. Others have taken them to a local cobbler and have had them done successfully, reportedly for $15 or so, though it's hard to believe ANYthing is $15 these days!

As far as edge. I do know that I ordered natural edge on mine, and when they came in they were dyed brown. I thought it was another error by Whites, but Kyle said he had dyed them after the sanding; though it wasn't clear to me that he had to do so because of the sanding or just did mistakenly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads