• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

trvlr472

Reaction score
OK someone pointed out to me that the black brushes should be on their own table, separate from those brown brushes.

I apologize to all those black brushes, that I have offended.

I am going out to get them a new, bigger free table of their own, right now.

I will even add a white table cloth for them to rest/rely/lean on/mooch from, for this serious transgression.

PS for you guys wanting to see more of those Lace to toe "oxford" shoes try the bowling alleys they a have plenty.........................
rotflmao.gif
rotflmao.gif
rotflmao.gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif

Last edited:

trvlr472

Reaction score
Since most of you people like the "pretty boots & shoes " it may be of interest to you to know how to keep the brushes used on them pretty too....

Here are the ones made from Yak hair, made in Germany, 25-28 years old, a little pricey, they like to be on their own.
fing02[1].gif

They are made from very dense clusters of Tibetian yak hair. The ones with handles are Redecker , the one on top was made in USA by shoe company that is now closed. All German made or German decent company owners that only deal/dealt in the very best in the world. (Some Japanese manufactures custom hand make the Yak hair brushes now, also. They always were good at coping stuff.)

Here are the brushes for lighter colored leather, USA made from horsehair in the late 30s-mid 50s. I like 3-4 particular out of business manufactures.

They don't like mixing with the darker colored brushes or the polish will rub off on them
biggrin.gif
, all at least 50 years old. Notice very dense clusters of longer horse hair on the larger and close cropped on the "travel" brushes.

Here are the same USA made/manufactured brushes with darker horse hair from the same 3-4 makers. All from late 30-mid 50s.

These brushes are for darker color shoes & boots.

Real dark then lighter for cordovan and then my 2 cleaning brushes on the top right.

All the cleaning brushes are German Redeckers hand tied in hair, made from very hard dense horsehair.

Finally here is the power wheel, I it use to buff to extremely high sheen. 3 inch long horse hair made in USA on a Baldor 1750rpm trimmed to 400rpm.

All my stuff is serviced/cleaned about once a year . I use Spray Nine that dissolves the polishes and residue, spray it on and scrub the brushes with a hand brush, shake them out, and then brush the hair to restore the shape and alignment. Let Air dry or place on shoe rack in dryer on low air only.

But really, I don't know much about maintaining shoes boots I got all these pics from the internet.
snork[1].gif

The process leaves the brush hair like is came out of the womb. Then you can keep your pretty boots and shoes pretty.....too.
eek.gif
eek.gif
worship2.gif
worship2.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
I'm speechless.
crazy.gif

Last edited:

CityofChamps

Reaction score
So @LouieBailie

There is no doubt that you have a crazy amount of boot knowledge and that I could ask you boot questions for hours waiting for a pretentious response, but please answer me this in all seriousness.

Is that a stone pig I see in the pictures and what is the story there?

I'm dying to know, thanks.

Last edited:

gregornz

Reaction score
Louie, can you up pictures of your shoe trees? Now that is a collection I gotta see!

sleepy94

Reaction score

No more than one can google. I am about to buy Whites oxfords too. Baker's offers this Bakers oxford http://www.bakershoe.com/Product/Detail/bakers-oxford/ Does anyone know who makes it?

I believe there are a couple of different makers for the baker's oxford. Mine i am fairly certain came from Nick's due to the leathers and 18 week lead time. they are great though. really great quality and fit as well as my whites. if not for the lead time I may have already ordered another pair to rotate. The bakers oxfords are my primary work shoes.

LouieBailie

Reaction score
"Is that a stone pig I see in the pictures and what is the story there?"

Wanted to get my sweetie something to remember her sister.

"Louie, can you up pictures of your shoe trees? Now that is a collection I gotta see!"

No Appreciation videos are allowed on this website, it makes your keyboards too sticky.

As for the WWII boots, they are polished and in hibernation currently, waiting for use at WWII Memorial in DC

Last edited:

Royteane

Reaction score
do I need shoe tree for night time if I wear them 5 days a week/ 8hrs a day?

univibe88

Reaction score
I would say that if you are wearing the same boots day in and day out you especially need trees.

jimanchower

Reaction score
I've read all but about 10 pages of this thread and will soon send my tracings/measurements off to Baker's for sizing recommendations, but I wanted to ask before I get too pumped up about a new pair of SDs. I've got moderately high arches and what seems to be a very high instep. Are SDs going to work for me?

Some shoes that I have worn to illustrate my issues. I have not been measured on a Brannock.

Running shoes: generally an 11, sometimes a 10.5
RW Beckman chukkas - Went with an 11D because a 10.5D was too snug in the instep. Got rid of them because they were too big.
AE shoes on the 5 last - I wear an 8.5 or 9 EEE and the quarters still don't close enough to be "proper" but it's not awful. Heel is a bit loose.
C&J boots on the 325 last - I own a 10D that is about a half size long but fits in the instep after some stretching
Clarks DBs - Don't work for me due to the instep, but Wallabees are fine (size 9)
Pumas and Onitsuka Tigers - Almost universally too tight/narrow through the instep

I'm not asking for my SD size as I know the guys at White's/Baker's will be best equipped to tell me, just wondering if the SDs will work or if I should look elsewhere. TIA!

LouieBailie

Reaction score
I've read all but about 10 pages of this thread and will soon send my tracings/measurements off to Baker's for sizing recommendations, but I wanted to ask before I get too pumped up about a new pair of SDs. I've got moderately high arches and what seems to be a very high instep. Are SDs going to work for me?

Some shoes that I have worn to illustrate my issues. I have not been measured on a Brannock.

Running shoes: generally an 11, sometimes a 10.5
RW Beckman chukkas - Went with an 11D because a 10.5D was too snug in the instep. Got rid of them because they were too big.
AE shoes on the 5 last - I wear an 8.5 or 9 EEE and the quarters still don't close enough to be "proper" but it's not awful. Heel is a bit loose.
C&J boots on the 325 last - I own a 10D that is about a half size long but fits in the instep after some stretching
Clarks DBs - Don't work for me due to the instep, but Wallabees are fine (size 9)
Pumas and Onitsuka Tigers - Almost universally too tight/narrow through the instep

I'm not asking for my SD size as I know the guys at White's/Baker's will be best equipped to tell me, just wondering if the SDs will work or if I should look elsewhere. TIA!

Go to a facility that has a Braddock device, have your feet measured, order that size(s) from Whites, in the boot you need/want.

All Whites' boots have high arch support.

jimanchower

Reaction score

Go to a facility that has a Braddock device, have your feet measured, order that size(s) from Whites, in the boot you need/want.

All Whites' boots have high arch support.

I'm not worried about the arch so much as I am the instep. I can wear shoes with minimal arch support. My problem has always been instep height. There have been a few references throughout this thread to the SDs being snug across the instep. I'm not sure how the Brannock can account for that. I'll measure according to this and see what Baker's has to say.

I tried a Birkenstock London and had to send them back because the strap across the instep wouldn't come close to fitting. It didn't have anything to do with length or width of my foot. I'm curious if White's SDs are viable for a high instep.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads