1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

I like the close trim on those, balances well with the Cuban heel, and makes the lines of boot look seamless.

Congrats,

James

2. CityofChamps

CityofChamps Well-Known Member

Those are some nice boots, man. The farmer rancher is built on the smoke jumper last. Technically if a farmer rancher had the vibram 100 sole, it would be a smoke jumper. I can't help you on sizing compared to the semi, unfortunately I don't own a pair in that last.

Side note: I just went back and was looking at some of the picks from this thread; there are some amazing looking boots! Better than a google search.

3. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

So went to a symphony event last night in a vintage grey/blue glen plaid 3 button flat front Southwick suit, vintage pale blue banker stripe Brown & Woods fitted dres shirt, vintage blue and rust wool foulard tie (yes time of year for wool ties) and my black water buffalo cap toed retro oxfords...was a perfect match to the semi-formal attire. Was able to walk the room and mingle all night without cringing with every step like I do in my AE Leeds (which "used" to be my most comfortable dress shoes until now).

Just thought I would share :))

James

4. Blutarsky86

Blutarsky86 New Member

OK searched probably 100+ pages at this point. Anybody have image pic of non celastic toe with a cap toe?? Preferably on a SM or BH last.

Thanks!

5. climbinglife

climbinglife Senior member

6. Blutarsky86

Blutarsky86 New Member

Thanks man appreciate it. These looks great, but it does appear the toe cap adds some bulk, almost to the point of looking like a single celast toe. Also concerned the toe cap might look busy on a BH build (going for a more sleek look).

Thanks Again though.

7. gregornz

gregornz Senior member

^^ I don't think those are soft toe...?

8. gfloridafan93

gfloridafan93 Senior member

[​IMG]

These would be the dress brown after some tough wear correct?

9. climbinglife

climbinglife Senior member

They aren't...my post wasn't in response to the guy who posted before me. I didn't see it before I posted lol.

Mine are single celastic

10. Blutarsky86

Blutarsky86 New Member

Ok good to know. Question still stands i guess....all call for non celastic toe with cap.

11. broken_oracle

broken_oracle Senior member

I'm over the 8 week mark waiting on my soft-cap-toe Bounty Hunters (swing last in Distressed Brown, 6"). Will post some pics up here for you once they finally arrive

12. gregornz

gregornz Senior member

I have some bounty hunters in bullhide with a toe cap and soft toe coming in 8 weeks or so... I'll up pics then. The real trick will be when they age and the toe starts to collapse, like on these ones. Cool.

I wonder if @mystlawer can post some more updates of his?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  13. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

Yeah, those still get my vote as the most comfy looking White's on earth, looks like you could wear them to bed. Put fuzzy liners in them and you have slippers.

James

14. gregornz

gregornz Senior member

Yeah, they're chromexcel huh?

Gee, I'm really starting to come around to this chromexcel! I'm planning a pair of 14 inch lace-to-toe smokejumpers, and I'm thinking, because I wouldn't do any 'real' work in them, chromexcel would be a much better choice than work leather. More comfortable, more dressy and eye-popping, more rich and deep in colour, easier to break in and quicker to take on a worn look (rather than the year it would take with the work leathers).

Why do other places, like Viberg and Qoddy, have so many Horween leathers, whilst White's only has 5? Does White's ever get other colours in? Could they if requested?

15. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

Those slipper boots you linked appear to have too much the texture to be Chromexcel, I thought bull hide but am probably wrong. As much as I am a "hater" of Chromexcel, as I said I have had 3 pairs of shoes/boots in it and it's lovely soft stuff. And my forthcoming nicks are their version of Chromexcel as I wanted a soft casual leather.
    It has it's place indeed.
    James

16. gregornz

gregornz Senior member

Those I linked are White's moongrey bullhide...

What do you mean 'their version' of chromexcel? Is it not chromexcel?

17. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

I think Chromexcel is a trademarked name by Horween (help me out here on the facts those in the know). Nick's I believe uses a similar but thicker chrome tanned leather by Seidel called Mexcel, but I remember some chatter about them changing their chrome tanned recently to a different kind.

James

18. gregornz

gregornz Senior member

Oh, so nicks doesn't use Horween leather?

19. leipergrey

leipergrey Well-Known Member

Nick's has--or used to have--Mexcel leather available, but I'm pretty sure they also offer Horween's CXL now. I got a pair in Natural and I've seen pics of guys getting pairs in olive CXL, and no mention of it being a different, non-Horween version of CXL.

There are different grades (is it the right word?) of CXL--e.g. the one used by Wolverine and the one used by Viberg--but I wouldn't know what grade Nick's uses. Is it better than, say, White's? Beats me.