1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

Thanks chicken. I relied on Kyle at baker's to get me the right fit, he said for my foot shape, #3 toe in 10.5E will work, which is the same as my White's size. If I get them and they're not right, I'm sure he will work something out, hence why I go through them versus buying direct....the wait period sucks though. Placed a white's order for 2 pair on the same day and already got them, will probably be early December before I see my Nicks.

James

2. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

Now not to stray too far from the White's thread but since White's is my frame of reference
    For sizing these days, how does Danner sizing compare (closer to white's-10.5E or closer to tennis shoe/Keen's-12)? I need a couple of weekend shoes to replace my Keens (the new ones seem to run a touch smaller than the ones I own hence toe cram), and a couple of the light duty US made Danner's look mighty appealing like the Underpass-Overlook and Tramline.

James

3. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

Wait...you don't like Temple of Doom?! Those are the only two that matter.

4. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

The writers kind of phoned that one in, and the only reason Kate Capshaw was in it was Steven S. Was getting busy....just sayin'.

5. greger

greger Senior member

Both White and Danner do true custom where you visit and they take measurements and make a last and then boot with fittings.

They do semicustom where they take your measurements and use a last that is close.

6. sleepy94

sleepy94 Well-Known Member

I don't think you will enjoy them James, they are more comparable to Redwing's or Chippewa's. Not a knock against these brands just White's, Wesco, Nicks are a level up in terms of comfort and craftsmenship. I have a pair of the mountain trails that are so wide they are unwearable without 2 to 3 pair of hiking socks, which in fairness as being a light hiking boot is the intent. a smaller size would put my foot to far forward and mess with the arch placement. Also the arch is much lower on the Danner's. I would have been better off getting some lace to toe Nick's or White's with a lug sole. My first real work boots were Danner's back in 2003 and they held up and were far more comfortable than anything I had owned until then. So once again everyone's foot is different so some boots may work for some and not for others but from spending way to much money on so many different brands I now realize I would have been way better off sticking with the ones that I knew fit MY foot. I could have easily purchase 3 pairs of White's or Nicks to cover all my bases and had plenty of cash left over for some other hobbies.

7. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

I don't think that White's actually makes a last based on your measurements (and can't imagine that Danner does); but rather, based on your measurements chooses the already existing last that should fit you... Isn't that right?

8. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

On a Bounty Hunter make-up, say I love brown semi-dress for the vamp and counter, but want the ultimate in comfort on the shaft, what do you guys think? Brown Chromexcel? Lined water buffalo? CXL and Horween shell are just so damn pliable and comfy around the ankles.

9. mogili222

mogili222 Senior member

Question about the Commando mini lug half sole. Would it be a bad idea to use boots with these soles in the winter here in Minnesota? Lots of snow, ice and slush can't be good for the exposed piece of leather on the bottom of the boot. Also would an application of Snoseal or Obenaufs help in that area?

10. trvlr472

trvlr472 Senior member

I have a pair of CWB's that have that exposed leather. When I get them resoled I'm going to get a full rubber sole of some sort put on them. That little exposed piece of leather, when you're not used to it, can be quite dangerous. I almost slipped and fell on my ass a few times stepping on a wet pipe or something else slippery with that part of the sole. I have also thought that if you're going to be wearing them in wet, snowing conditions it's best to have the leather sole covered up with a full rubber sole. I'll look at the various options for soles when the time comes. In the meantime I'm very conscious of what part of the sole contacts things such as wet, ice covered steel ladders or anything similar like an ice covered curb.

All that being said. My answer to you're question is a resounding YES. As far as putting Obenhauf's or sno seal on that part of the sole? It would just make it even slicker. I've Obenhaufed that part of the sole once but it really doesn't seem to do any good as far as protecting it considering the abuse it sees. I've also read that Sno Seal and Obenhauf's can creep into places on the sole where you don't want it such as into the heel stack and cause problems with the glue in there as well as making it impossible to re-sole them because glue will never stick to it again. Whether that is true or not I have no idea.

Mine are holding up fine so far after almost a year and they spend a whole lot of time wet through the winter. They have only seen part of one winter though so I'll wait and see. I've got a pair of SJ's that will be used for the really nasty days.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  11. chicken1616

chicken1616 Senior member

Just go with the dress brown for the shaft. It is thinner than the smooth brown anyway.

12. aaronjared

aaronjared Active Member

I have the commando lug sole on my Bounty Hunters, and they're about 1 year old. I think it's the best looking sole offered, but I do also believe the Boston winter ruined them. They started squeaking, and I think it's because some moisture got beneath the half sole and started to rot the leather (not to mention the snow removed a lot of dye from the sole edging but this can easily be fixed). I'm going to send mine in for a resole this week and get one of the full leather options.

13. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

All this talk of snow and winter, you know White's does make Pac boots.

http://www.bakershoe.com/product/whites-mountain-pac

James

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  14. mogili222

mogili222 Senior member

Just got a note from Kyle that he is having my 7 in BH in Brown smooth remade as he was not happy with how they turned out. He asked me if I wanted to change anything on the boot. I initially had the whole boot in Brown smooth but was thinking of changing the upper shaft to something that is a little softer and thinner than the regular Brown smooth. Good idea or bad? Also Is there an upcharge for Bison from White's?

15. spurs61

spurs61 Senior member

So, I just returned from Colorado and doing some light hiking with my new natural CXL Bounty Hunters. I have to say that these are now by far my favorite boots. The break in process was painless and by the end of the weekend they felt absolutely natural and comfortable on my feet. I hiked a bit in the snow and mud and they held up famously. As well, I didn't think they marked up any faster than other boots I own and came away virtually unscathed after several hikes on a variety of terrain. They also cleaned up well for meetings and nights out.

And, as it so happens, my new winter Bounty Hunters are waiting by my door for me to get home - 8", distressed smooth, lined, plain toe, standard heel, etc. Pics to follow ...

16. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

I would keep it simple and stick with one leather but I'm a fuddy-duddy. I think they upcharge for any leather beyond the work leathers, Chromexcel or the dress leathers, but if you're already blowing $400+ on a pair of boots, what's another $40....many blow more than that on coffee with more than two syllables and "artisan" pastries in a week!

James

17. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

....and on that last thought of gourmet coffee, I recently stopped buying my coffee at the train station every morning for $2.30/cup and started making it at the office ($8/lb every 3 weeks in a French Press). It dawned on me, beyond the fact that I was throwing away 20 paper cups and plastic lids in the landfill every month, that what I was spending on mediocre coffee was the equivalence of a pair of new White's boots every year!
    Just food for thought,

James

18. mogili222

mogili222 Senior member

Thanks James.. I just went ahead and asked Kyle to go with the standard Brown smooth for the complete boot.

19. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

I just made myself sick-if I quit smoking I could get 6 pairs of White's boots per year....shit.

James

20. gfloridafan93

gfloridafan93 Senior member

How do you guys go about selecting a leather for these boots? So many options...