Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. LouieBailie

LouieBailie Senior member

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014

2. mogili222

mogili222 Senior member

3. climbinglife

climbinglife Senior member

Anyone no if super glue can get removed from leather? Was working and got a drop on my right boot right in the toe crease [​IMG]

Tried a little Bick-4 and then a layer of LP to darken it a bit but its still there. its not bad by any stretch but its bugging me a little.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Vin

4. CityofChamps

CityofChamps Well-Known Member

Niice boots!

If I get a casual pair, I would love a bison BH with medallion cap. Let us know how the bison ages. I have seen others here post pics but then no follow up or update.

Again great looking boot, @gregornz

5. gregornz

gregornz Senior member

Interesting there are three of us here with about the same size foot! Do I see a boot swap circle going on!!??

That's cool that you can swap between the two sizes to tailor your look, but I have to ask; wouldn't it be better to get the 'right' size each time? What is that right size? I have Red Wings in 9D and they cut up the back of my foot.

Yeah, for better or worse I always wear thin cotton socks, so those measurements are with socks. But the socks are about as thin as they come. My vote for the northwest last is get the 9.5C - I'm presuming that this last is sized the same as all others...

Not to be contrary Louie, but my understanding is that a double leather sole is the same as a single midsole single outsole. My understanding also is that you cannot get a 'triple' leather sole, i.e single midsole on top of two more leather outsoles.

Yup, it's annoying when you want to see updates and they never come. I will update! I have no idea how this bison is going age... It already looks kind of distressed, so I'll be interested to see!

Can anyone advise me on care for the bison leather? It's an oil tanned leather, right? I'm thinking just obenaufs LP twice a year of as needed and a good brushing each wear...?

6. LouieBailie

Whites makes 3 layer Semi dress boots 2 mid soles and single outer called the triple sole, those posted have a single outer and single mid sole.

USA MADE PRODUCTS:

COMPARED TO lp

PRODUCED SELLING AND PROTECTING SINCE 1921

[​IMG]
    or

PRODUCED SOLD AND PROTECTING SINCE 1882
    http://bickmore.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/how-clean-boots.png

[​IMG]

7. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

[quote name="gregornz" url="

That's cool that you can swap between the two sizes to tailor your look, but I have to ask; wouldn't it be better to get the 'right' size each time? [/quote]

Good point. The only thing is that I've found that a BH is a little looser than the SD although on the same last. Having said that it could depend on the leathers and whether or not there is single sole stitching or double - the double tends to be tighter. Soles too could play a role. And of course ones socks!! As there is such small differences in widths and sizes and all these combinations, I guess it's where one feels comfortable at. Some people like a tight fit and some loose. But one thing is for sure - a boot feels right or not pretty quickly. If it takes time it's probably not the best fit.

Also, I heard from Bakers that the North West last should be a half size bigger.

8. mogili222

mogili222 Senior member

Is it not the other way around? I remember a few folks in this thread post that the BHs fit narrower than the SDs in width..

9. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

Fair point. Just speaking from my experience. Again, I guess leathers,soles and things like linings could make a difference. But mine do have the feel there is a little more room. Top is water buffalo and thin so this could contribute to that. They are lined and are black rough out. It could be that the rough out is softer, or the water buffalo a thinner leather. I guess a lot has to do with the leathers as the basic last has to be the same. Tightness of stitching too. But it's all a very small margin really, I have to admit. Not the issue of a different size altogether, rest assured.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014

10. EastWestApparel

EastWestApparel Senior member

It all depends on how tightly pulled they were when lasted, I've had 2 pairs made in the exact same options and they have fit quite differently including the height and shape of the toe.

11. gregornz

gregornz Senior member

^ This. But it is testament to the precision of the process that this is true but doesn't drastically effect build quality.
    Like a master marketing man you're slowly getting me through subconscious osmosis, Louie. I'm not convinced about this three sole semi dress of yours though... "...Must buy blue and white shoe grease..."

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014

12. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

Does anyone else think that the heel extends out way too far on those otherwise fantastic bison/brown roughout bounty hunters?

13. LIMBERLION

LIMBERLION Well-Known Member

How long does it usually take for someone at bakers to get back to you?

14. LouieBailie

2 mid soles and 1 outer sole is in White's terminology is a triple sole......3 layers of leather

15. LIMBERLION

LIMBERLION Well-Known Member

Just ordered my first pair of whites
    White's Semi-Dress
    • Leather 1: Navy Chrome Excel by Horween
    • Leather 2: Black Dress
    • Toe Vamp Leather: Navy Chrome Excel by Horween
    • Toe Cap Leather: None
    • Celastic Toe Box: None
    • Safety Toe: No Thanks
    • Upper (Shaft) Leather : Black Dress
    • Leather Liner: Cream