1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior member

Those are really great. The stitching seems better than that of Wesco's standard offerings, too.

2. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

Don't I know it! The lowered block heel with all eyelets are just killer. I want a more bump toe than that tho (already have two pairs on the MP last). Hmmm.....

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  3. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

^^ Yeah, the absence of external heel counters and the lower toe profile give it a fairly streamlined look, while still clearly being all workboot. I like a chunkier toe myself, but I have to admit this looks good, and especially with some wear. And I kinda like the fat rubber heel cap!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  4. mistercitizen

mistercitizen Senior member

5. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

Ben check a link I put up a few posts back from Empty Garage..... Very useful info there

6. chicken1616

chicken1616 Senior member

Those boots look much better with the dark edging. IMHO.[​IMG]

7. chicken1616

And a link, by request. Check seller's other items, also. http://www.ebay.com/itm/131338900437?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

8. mistercitizen

mistercitizen Senior member

Thanks. Will do.

Ben

9. aaronjared

aaronjared Active Member

10. Morgenholz

Morgenholz Active Member

Ha, yeah James, I just ended my very long-term relationship with a Guzzi carbureted Sport, sold the Alpine Stars boots and am now using my chunky English Gripfasts to kickstart a Royal Enfield...

11. Morgenholz

Morgenholz Active Member

However, a non-motorbike, White's Boots-related question if you cats will endulge me... I am interested in building a high-end, American version of my beloved Gripfast 1016 8" combat boots (all three pair). Specifically, I wonder if any of you have done a medallion cap toe in black smooth (oiled) leather? I love the medallion cap-- I've got it in brown dress, British tan, and Red Dog-- Just don't know how thick I can go and what I will get. I know I will get good results with a lined black dress, but would prefer the heavy leather for a capped combat-style boot.

12. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

Love the old Guzzi's, and Brit bikes, far better suited to urban living than the American highway cruisers.
    I will be ending my relationship with my hardly worn 20 year old Gripfast oxfords shortly ( labeled "11" but I was told Gripfast used US sizing as opposed to UK but these fit like a 12-12.5E which would make that a UK11G; weird). They were always way too big for me even with insoles and my thickest socks but I could never bring myself to parting with them...you can't get them here easily. However White's has spoiled me for how shoes/boots should fit and I am done with the "I can make them work" mentality so it's time to pass them on to another Anglophile.

James

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  13. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

I have only ever once ran into someone in real life who was wearing a pair of White's, and they were SDs with black oil tan and medallion cap toes. They looked fantastic! Three years old with no treatment at all, and the leather looked great (fairly worn looking, but he was about to treat them and I suspect they rebounded nicely). But yes, the medallion cap toe looked fine on the oil tan leather...

14. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

I think we had this conversation a couple months ago about how White's, Nick's and Wesco are a refuge for us ex-DM and Gripfast wearers who have realized that no matter how cool those Brit boots are, they really fit like shit when you finally know better.

I still have 3 pairs of DM UK made brogues that I have had forever and considered my most comfortable shoes. It poured rain yesteday and I haven't treated any of my White's yet so wore my favorite black DM brogues after a month or so not wearing them....sloppy fit, no support, pinky toe cramming, heel slip to the max...how the hell did I wear those things for years?!!! All three migrated down to the basement eBay pile last night...I almost cried but know I won't reach for them again.
    Wesco is making a wingtip now, that may be the replacement for my Doc Brogues.

James

15. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

So here's an interesting observation: I have always been a pronater, figured that out when I started running in my 20's and got fitted for "real" running shoes (thank you Brooks for making corrective running shoes). All of my shoes/boots show wear on the outside heel where I strike and in side of the ball of the sole where I roll inward. But I was noticing on my White's that I strike more centered on the heel and the wear on my sole is in the center...my White's are actually keeping my feet aligned? Anyone else notice this at all?

James

16. mogili222

mogili222 Senior member

@jrosenthal That is very encouraging as I have flat feet and pronate with wear on the same spots as you on my Red Wing IRs and other shoes..

17. Morgenholz

Morgenholz Active Member

Linafelt, thanks for the data-based encouragement. I'll go ahead with oil-tanned black-- I agree that it ages very gracefully when used as intended.

James, you are correct-- Gripfast sizing is closer to US than UK, although it is a hybrid of both. I am fortunate in that they fit me just fine with heavy socks, and certainly feel better that way. Regarding DM brogues, I believe that I have owned over forty pair (still have 39... and kept the boxes...) since the early '90's. I walk a lot, and still consider them my all-time most comfortable all-day shoes, indeed resistant to anything the subways and elevated rails could throw at them. However, I have also reached an age where taste intersects economic reserve, and will be transitioning from them to my White's and Wescos over the coming year-- I feel naked anymore if my ankles are not covered.

18. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

I always felt the same way about my DM brogues, could beat the shit out of them and they still looked good. But yesterday clinched it for me after wearing my retro oxfords for a few weeks...I just can't got back to the mediocre fit...my feet just won't tolerate it anymore. I'm too old to let fashion and ego dictate my tolerance of pain and discomfort.

James

19. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

Yeah, never thought I had issues until I realized I had issues. These shoes/boots are interesting in how they deal with my myriad of foot issues just by the nature of their design. That said, I am still trying to get used to how they hold my foot and change my gait. It feels almost unnatural, my feet want to roll outward on the step and inward on the lift and none of my white's let me, they keep the foot locked in strait. As I said earlier, wearing my Doc's yesterday reminded me of why my feet always hurt, they were so compliant and non supportive that I was all over the place! Knowing this now makes me kick myself for not knowing about White's years ago.

James

20. chicken1616

James,
    I am starting to believe you are my boot doppelganger.[​IMG]